Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 04 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 00:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Always been a Canon guy....looking to get my first full frame. Nikon D750 or 5D MK III?

BornForThis
55 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Dec 04, 2014 00:58 |  #1

I've been trying to do some research. People seem to be upset that Canon has no plans to replace the Mark III whereas Nikon is doing awesome with the D700 series. I have only use crop sensors but looking to get into full frame.

I guess I am wondering if anyone here has used both and what are your thoughts?

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 04, 2014 01:31 |  #2

I haven't used the 5DIII much, I switched to Nikon when my 40D/7D and borrowed 5D2/1D3 didn't focus accurately for me, in the situations I shoot in. The Nikon focus system is much more reliable, my keeper rate is much higher. The bodies are tougher, my repair and calibration bill dropped to almost zero - other than when I dropped a lens - I've dropped many Nikon lenses, only one has broken.

D750 is the perfect wedding and portrait camera, and great for landscapes if you don't need silly megapixels. Nikon zooms are super sharp. Focus systems are excellent. My wedding photographer (who's one of the best in the conutry) used a 5DIII and many L lenses, I can see many of his images aren't sharp.

For what I do Nikon and how I use my gear is far superior to Canon.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 04, 2014 07:48 |  #3

It's been rumored that the 5DMKIV will be announced in early 2015, possibly in March/April.

Depends on how invested you are in the Canon lineup. If all you have is a kit zoom and a 50, then it won't be as difficult to make the change. If you're sitting with $4-6k in glass then you'll find it prohibitive to change.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,160 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by David Arbogast.

Dec 04, 2014 15:22 |  #4

When Canon gets around to announcing the 5D IV, the D750 will be a better deal - lower price point. If I were looking for my first general purpose full frame camera, and wasn't locked into a system of lenses and speedlites, I'd go with a D750. I've never used one, mind you, but have a look at Dpreview's latest youtube review of the D750: looks like an incredible camera for the price.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 04, 2014 16:09 |  #5

Do you have any Canon full frame lenses already?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 04, 2014 22:11 |  #6

TMaG82 wrote in post #17310841 (external link)
It's been rumored that the 5DMKIV will be announced in early 2015, possibly in March/April.

Depends on how invested you are in the Canon lineup. If all you have is a kit zoom and a 50, then it won't be as difficult to make the change. If you're sitting with $4-6k in glass then you'll find it prohibitive to change.

I sold 4 bodies and 6 lenses for around $10K then bought $12K worth of Nikon gear - 2 cameras (D700), 3 lenses (16-35 24-70 70-200). I later added 50 F1.8G. Totally worth it for me.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 05, 2014 06:58 |  #7

BornForThis wrote in post #17310476 (external link)
I've been trying to do some research. People seem to be upset that Canon has no plans to replace the Mark III whereas Nikon is doing awesome with the D700 series. I have only use crop sensors but looking to get into full frame.

I guess I am wondering if anyone here has used both and what are your thoughts?

When was this announced?

tim wrote in post #17312736 (external link)
I sold 4 bodies and 6 lenses for around $10K then bought $12K worth of Nikon gear - 2 cameras (D700), 3 lenses (16-35 24-70 70-200). I later added 50 F1.8G. Totally worth it for me.

I listed my stuff on FB and my photography friends cannibalized my collection in under an hour. It's not costing me much to switch.

As far as one or the other? The D750 is a better value to me. I can't see Canon releasing a camera that competes with the D750 on price and features, but who knows...maybe they will

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,088 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 05, 2014 09:22 |  #8

I'd seriously consider Nikon if I wasn't heavily invested into Canon. I this moment the Canon line has some serious gaps where Nikon doesn't........

The D750 is such a killer camera virtually in every aspect of bells/whistles for a modern camera. On deliberate cripple is the 1/4000 Nikon built into it. However seems like most dont feel it such an issue. I've played around with that camera and I though it was rather a mean beast in performance especially if you compare it to a Canon 6d (intro FF Canon).

I'll have to say that if Canon is at least going to introduce a 6dmk2 with similar functionality of a Nikon D750 this would create mixed emotions in deciding Canon Vs. Nikon.

Regardless of what gear you own it will not be a deciding factor of your skills behind the gear you use. I've had not issues in the output of work I do with my Canon. Am I a Canon fanboy?? No I'm just heavily invested into Canon and the familiarity of the bodies is a comfort zone. Would I switch to Nikon??? Hell yes if I had energy to sell off my gear and play with something new.

For my style I'd happily rock with a sony A7s for centershot type shooting (focus / recompose) and live with the limited lens selection (for now). Shoot in pitch dark (if I must) and produce clean Raw files. I'm considering building my secondary system with this platform and go from there. Realistically I cant jump ship due to my busy schedule but i'd definitely love to get new gear to play with.

If you did purchase a 5dmk3 i cant see a newbie FF owner to be disappointed. You'd actually infact love it beyond belief for its flexible Raw files and AF speed. Is the D750 better?? yes regarding noise but it's limited to 1/4000 max shutter speed (may or maynot be an issue for you). I dream the 6dmk2 have identical specs and performance. The 5dmk4 would be much pricier and realistically this is where for the money a person can consider the D810. The 22.3 megapixel res of the 5dmk3 is a sweetspot for me because of the size of file is manageable and for virtually all my type of prints would be more than enough without taxing card size. I like to use 16bg cards rather than 32gb just in case murphy's law makes a card unrecoverable. This is where shooting with a camera with 2 cards is good for piece of mind.

Choose your poison..... I've seen better Canon photographers than nikon....and vice versa LOL!!! If your tools suites your pesonal preference and style thats what choosing tools is all about. There are some loyal canon/nikon users switching to the mirrorless A7 alpha series for losing weight.

I think this day and age there will always be brandx vs brandx but I actually think this debate is slowly coming to the realization that its simply personal choice. Image quality is so good these days....its the bells/whistles race with some technological advances. This will never stop :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 05, 2014 10:35 |  #9

I'm heavily invested in Canon lenses or I would make the switch. The D750 gives you more pro features than the Mark III at about a thousand bucks less. In fact, you can buy the D810 for less than the Mark III.

I use a Kodak Brownie

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,088 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 05, 2014 10:48 |  #10

Jon_Doh wrote in post #17313667 (external link)
I'm heavily invested in Canon lenses or I would make the switch. The D750 gives you more pro features than the Mark III at about a thousand bucks less. In fact, you can buy the D810 for less than the Mark III.

I haven't tested the D810 but a friend of mine personally owns a 5dmk3 and he has the luxury of using from phase one, Hassie to panasonic gh4's at his workplace. He says the D810 is a beast of a machine compared to the 5d3. I'll trust his judgement......

For now my capabilities is the limitation not my gear......

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by CRCchemist.

Dec 05, 2014 11:51 |  #11

I'm a Canon guy too, and I'm heavily invested in Canon equipment so I won't change.

But I will admit that Nikon does make a better body. I think the Canon lenses are engineered better, but Nikon bodies are better.

If you speak to most of the old timer photographers, you'll notice that they all use Nikon. That's because Nikon made better bodies for a long time. They messed up when everything transitioned to Digital and then everyone's new camera body was a Canon. Now Canon has more market share. Unfortunately, Nikon never really caught up, so they just started licensing sensors from Sony so they could stay afloat. Now with the Sony sensors, Nikon has far superior performance to Canon in the area of low ISO performance (ISO 100 - 400) and dynamic range.

If I were to buy a body, I might buy all Nikon gear. But I'm so heavily invested in Canon that I won't switch. The truth is, that we all take great pictures, so it really doesn't matter.

chopperdave
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 05, 2014 12:17 |  #12

It really seems like Nikon is using the best sensors right now. I adore my 5d3, and am also heavily in the Canon world so can't jump, but I might if I could. Also when someone hands me a Nikon I feel like it is speaking to me in Spanish, haha.

David
davidmoorephoto.com (external link)
racecarshots.com (external link)
I feel like I've gone back in time.

DanPics
116 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 08, 2014 20:32 |  #13

People put too much emphasis on equipment over the art of photography.

raptor3x
728 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by raptor3x.

Dec 08, 2014 20:49 |  #14

tim wrote in post #17310504 (external link)
D750 is the perfect wedding and portrait camera, and great for landscapes if you don't need silly megapixels. Nikon zooms are super sharp. Focus systems are excellent. My wedding photographer (who's one of the best in the conutry) used a 5DIII and many L lenses, I can see many of his images aren't sharp.

If that's true then that's either malfunctioning equipment or user error. Roger from Lensrentals pretty conclusively showed that the 5D3/1DX have the most precise PDAF systems ever implemented, although those tests were done before the D4s/D810/D750.

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1ii, G9 Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 45 1.2, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, PL 200 2.8

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 08, 2014 21:41 |  #15

DanPics wrote in post #17321569 (external link)
People put too much emphasis on equipment over the art of photography.

When I switched from Canon to Nikon my keeper rate went up immediately. I'd done a LOT of research on how AF works, CPS did calibrations, tests included tripod and such. My gear just wouldn't focus accurately. Newer gear may be better.

raptor3x wrote in post #17321603 (external link)
If that's true then that's either malfunctioning equipment or user error. Roger from Lensrentals pretty conclusively showed that the 5D3/1DX have the most precise PDAF systems ever implemented, although those tests were done before the D4s/D810/D750.

My experience is really with earlier cameras, the observation about my own wedding photos is really just an observation that the sharpness isn't as always good as I'd expect - generally good enough though, and overall is fine.

sponsored links

10,867 views & 8 likes for this thread
Always been a Canon guy....looking to get my first full frame. Nikon D750 or 5D MK III?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.