Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100 L/extention tubes or MPE-65 on 7Dii

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by alann.

Dec 01, 2014 21:27 |  #1

IIhave shot quite a bit of macro in the past. Using the 100 L lens I was constantly adding extension tube to achieve 2x magnification. would also purchase the new m14 ex ring light parentheses(not enough for the MT 24 as I have had the new 100 to 400II on pre-order an hour after it was available. My only concern is the ring lite going to interfere with getting the lens within its working distance as magnification increases thanks for any insight

My FLickrPage (external link)

sponsored links
ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,481 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 02, 2014 00:53 |  #2

Will you be doing a lot of macro?
I think that the 100 L is an excellent lens, and if already have it
AND you are slightly tight on the budget
AND you "only" get to 2:1
I would think that it would be very useful to use tubes..

in regards to the MT 14 - pay attention - I think for the 100 L you need a special adapter

why are you considering the mpe?

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,474 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 03, 2014 07:06 |  #3

I do not recommend a ring flash -no matter what you do the light is going to look "flat". The MT-24EX is brutally harsh out of the box, although there is at least one decent commercial diffuser for it (sold by a guy in the UK on ebay). If you get the MPE-65mm you can use a standard camera flash on a bracket (although I do shoot with the MT-24EX).

The MPE-65mm has a bit of a steep learning curve. In all honesty you might be better off with the EF-S 60mm and extension tubes since it loses focal length at 1x and becomes a 37mm lens (a full set of tubes will get you to almost 3x).

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

alann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 03, 2014 22:02 as a reply to  @ Dalantech's post |  #4

Thanks to both of you. :)

alann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by alann.

Dec 04, 2014 14:41 |  #5

Decided to go with the 100L and MT-24EX

Lester ­ Wareham
27,631 posts
Gallery: 2949 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 05, 2014 09:47 |  #6

Dalantech wrote in post #17307781 (external link)
I do not recommend a ring flash -no matter what you do the light is going to look "flat". The MT-24EX is brutally harsh out of the box, although there is at least one decent commercial diffuser for it (sold by a guy in the UK on ebay). If you get the MPE-65mm you can use a standard camera flash on a bracket (although I do shoot with the MT-24EX).

The MPE-65mm has a bit of a steep learning curve. In all honesty you might be better off with the EF-S 60mm and extension tubes since it loses focal length at 1x and becomes a 37mm lens (a full set of tubes will get you to almost 3x).

I agree with the above about the flash.

Not sure I agree with the EF-S 60mm if the OP already has the 100L, the MP-E would provide more functionality.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,474 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 05, 2014 17:03 |  #7

Lester Wareham wrote in post #17313516 (external link)
...Not sure I agree with the EF-S 60mm if the OP already has the 100L, the MP-E would provide more functionality.

OP mentioned not having the money for the MT-24EX, so I recommended the next best lens (amusing that if he couldn't afford the flash then he couldn't afford the MP-E 65mm). A full set of tubes on the 100mm will get you to about 2x, a full set of tubes on the EF-S 60mm will get you to almost 3...

My Blog (external link)

alann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 05, 2014 18:09 |  #8

I gave in. Got the 100L, MT-24, Kenko tubes and rechargeable batteries. Checking account running on a quarter tank.

Overread
Goldmember
2,189 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 06, 2014 09:30 |  #9

If you get the twinflash (as you are) I'd also suggest getting yourself a Pixel Battery Pack for the flash (takes the same attachment as the 580EX2). I say that because the twinflash is older, so it recharges somewhat slower than more modern flashes and also when it does charge it lets out an annoying audible whining sound.

If you get a battery pack it will help charge the flash faster and also cuts down on the whining sound. Granted you can't fire it like crazy, but I find it much more usable with the battery pack. Plus with two sets of 4AA batteries charging it you can go a pretty long while before you've got to change any batteries around.

There are other battery packs on the market and Canon also makes one, the Pixel I think are well priced and well featured whilst not being bank breaking not too big/heavy. Certainly some of the more heavy duty battery packs might do a better job, but they are going to be bigger, heavier and more expensive (and likely overkill on the flash).

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,474 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 08, 2014 07:31 |  #10

Overread wrote in post #17315982 (external link)
... and also when it does charge it lets out an annoying audible whining sound.

I'm wondering if this is a side benefit to my high frequency hearing loss since I don't hear the MT-24EX when it charges. Too much time in the Navy spent too close to transformers ;)

My Blog (external link)

alann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 08, 2014 07:55 |  #11

Dalantech: Thanks for your service. Did 22 years in the USN as well.

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,474 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 08, 2014 08:13 |  #12

alann wrote in post #17320119 (external link)
Dalantech: Thanks for your service. Did 22 years in the USN as well.

Thank you for your service 8-)

My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

2,492 views & 0 likes for this thread
100 L/extention tubes or MPE-65 on 7Dii
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.