Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 17:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D lense mount problem.

Bill ­ Emmett
201 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 02, 2014 11:21 as a reply to  @ post 17283215 |  #16

Lens mounts are precision machined parts of a camera. When a lens binds, there is a problem. Since you've not had a problem on your other camera with your lenses, something is wrong with the 6D lens mount. I suspect the camera has been dropped, or taken a hard hit. You're lucky the seller will take the camera back. Of course it could have been damaged during shipping.

B

New Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 50D, Canon 7D Classic, Canon 6D, Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle, Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8L USM Macro, Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC, Tamron SP 150-600mm VC, Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM, Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II USM, Tamron 2X Tele-Extender, 1.4 Tele-extender

sponsored links
Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 02, 2014 11:30 |  #17

driftyyy wrote in post #17304605 (external link)
Hey Ed,

I've noticed my 6D is noticeably more snug than other bodies I've used. I got mine new from B&H and it has no damage, so I wonder if it's in an effort to ensure weather sealing? It seems like some people do report the same concerns.

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense, driftyyy. But there was a sense of unsmoothness when mounting a lense. Snugness and tightness I'm ok with, but what I felt made me uneasy.

Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 02, 2014 11:36 |  #18

Bill Emmett wrote in post #17304890 (external link)
Lens mounts are precision machined parts of a camera. When a lens binds, there is a problem. Since you've not had a problem on your other camera with your lenses, something is wrong with the 6D lens mount. I suspect the camera has been dropped, or taken a hard hit. You're lucky the seller will take the camera back. Of course it could have been damaged during shipping.

B

Bill, I agree with you. My T2i isn't weather sealed or anything. I can line up a lens on the camera mount, turn the camera so it points up and gravity holds the lens against the mount...I can then smoothly turn the lens until it clicks into place. There is no wobble or anything once it is mounted. I'm not sure about the other 6D...I'm really not, the seller got it back and said that his lenses worked fine on it, just as they had before he shipped it. He was straight-up a good guy throughout it all.

I guess I will find out this Thursday how my lens collection works on a 6D straight off the showroom floor. :)

Ed

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 03, 2014 15:30 |  #19

My 6D mount acts just like the one on my 20D - the lenses slide into place with a 'normal' satisfying solidity but there is no grating or grinding.
There must be something amiss with the mount, so i'm glad you were ablate return it.
I'm sure you'll feel a difference with the new camera.

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 03, 2014 18:19 |  #20

Tomorrow I get to see how my lenses mount on the new 6D coming from Adorama. <BIG SMILE>

Ed

Bill ­ Emmett
201 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 04, 2014 00:54 |  #21

Let us all know how the new camera performs. I really like my 6D. I'm now struggling with the focus on the 7D Mark II. For your 6D, I suggest you pick up a copy of "Digital Field Guide for the 6D" It really shortened the learning curve. I can't wait until the book on the 7D Mark II comes out. The manual on the CD is over 500 pages.

B

New Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 50D, Canon 7D Classic, Canon 6D, Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle, Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8L USM Macro, Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC, Tamron SP 150-600mm VC, Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM, Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II USM, Tamron 2X Tele-Extender, 1.4 Tele-extender

chexjc
293 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Dec 04, 2014 07:51 |  #22

I'm interested in hearing how the lenses mount on the new 6D as well. I picked up a used (13k actuations) 6D a few weeks back and have been loving it. It definitely is a bit more difficult to mount the lenses than it was on my T4i, but it's nothing like what you described.

Canon 6D x2 | 17-40L | Sigma 35 ART | 50mm f1.8 STM | 85mm f1.8 | 135L
Website (external link) | Instagram (external link) | flickr (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 05, 2014 19:05 |  #23

Ok, I've tinkered with the camera off and on today....I LOVE IT!!!!! :)

The mount is very snug but lenses tighten smoothly. I feel at ease when mounting a lens to the body. I've got a learning curve ahead, but I'm going to enjoy the ride. ;)

One quick question that has nothing to do with lens mounting....you know, since I've got your attention. :) Does the 6D have a proximity sensor that turns off the shooting display on the back LCD when you use the viewfinder? The T2i has one, but I'm beginning to think the 6D doesn't.  ????????

Thanks!
Ed

mike_ripple
35 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 05, 2014 19:23 |  #24

Intheswamp wrote in post #17314867 (external link)
One quick question that has nothing to do with lens mounting....you know, since I've got your attention. :) Does the 6D have a proximity sensor that turns off the shooting display on the back LCD when you use the viewfinder? The T2i has one, but I'm beginning to think the 6D doesn't.  ????????

Thanks!
Ed

The rebel bodies have this, but above that they do not iirc. My 60d didn't have one either. The reason being is the rebels rely on the back lcd for the majority of controls as they do not have a top lcd. More advanced bodies such as the 6d have a top lcd for most controls so the back lcd is off the majority of the time. Therefore it is not necessary to have a proximity sensor.

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 05, 2014 20:43 |  #25

That is what I figured. I had gotten use to using the back lcd on my T2i so I guess I'll go back to how it used to be when all the controls were on top and the only info on the back of the camera was the end flap from a box of film. ;) What is really strange is that I had taken several mundane shots just checking out the 6D when suddenly I became aware of the lcd screen staying lit up...naturally I figured I had bumped something. :rolleyes: Ok, it's all good now...just another one of those "changes" everybody's been talking about lately around here.<grin>

Ed

sponsored links

4,990 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D lense mount problem.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.