Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 01:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much have you grown as a photographer since joining POTN?

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,456 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 21, 2014 11:40 |  #16

Lot's - but mostly with flash. I was on a huge learning curve and between lighting courses, Neil van Niekerk and POTN I took control of my flash. It used to be the other way around. It worked fine in P mode (always went to P when the flash went on) and ETTL. FEC was a no brainer but what put knots in my stomach was repeatability. I know it gave me a decent snapshot, I just did not know how or why.

What would happen of one day I had something to shoot that counted like a friends birthday party and something did not go right. Not that would have mattered because he is a friend but you want to do your best.

A friend asked me to shoot his wedding which I repeatedly declined. Eventually I broke down and went on a 6 month learning journey to prepare. Another benefit is recovery from a problem. Now I don't stand there looking like a deer in headlights nearly as long as I used to :D One of the best things I ever did.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 21, 2014 11:42 |  #17

One of the posters on this thread helped me a lot. There were many more.

Image Editing OK

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,739 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 21, 2014 13:09 |  #18

digital paradise wrote in post #17285405 (external link)
One of the posters on this thread helped me a lot. There were many more.

Well dont hold back? Was it me?!

Shane
flickr (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,835 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2014 13:23 |  #19

JakAHearts wrote in post #17281189 (external link)
I knew nothing, and I mean nothing. Id say that 80% or more of my knowledge has come directly from others on this forum and the other 20% probably from links that I got on here.

same here. As a result of the help i got here at POTN, we opened our business 7 yrs ago and it took off. 26 wedding last year. 20-30 a tear for the past 4 yrs. I am extremely grateful for the friends I have made on line at POTN and for all the help given out. So I now try to give back every chance i can.

Thanks everyone.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

digital ­ paradise
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 21, 2014 13:46 |  #20

JakAHearts wrote in post #17285543 (external link)
Well dont hold back? Was it me?!

There were many ;)

Image Editing OK

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,928 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 21, 2014 13:52 |  #21

This forum has been indispensable. Hardest thing to learn was to not take CC's personally and move on.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 21, 2014 15:42 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #22

POTN was one of my main paths to photography when I was first starting out, of course I scoured the net and read up on just about every aspect of photography and Canon cameras, but nothing could beat directly asking people with real experience or even just lurking around.

armis wrote in post #17280833 (external link)
If POTN taught me anything, it's that I should get an 85L :p.

Me too! But unfortunately my old 85LII is going to retire soon to fund my advance to a slightly different kind of photography, but of all the lenses it spent the most time glued to my 5D2, second only to the 70-200 f/4 IS, another legendary lens in my opinion.

Even if I am slowly moving away from the Canon camera system, I'll always be around here to help people out and share my discoveries and techniques that I've learned over the years, since this is one of the largest but also closest internet groups I've had the pleasure of interacting with.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,170 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2014 18:49 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #23

One thing that I've appreciate about POTN as a learnjng tool is that I get to learn by reading informative posts by other learned photographers, but I also learn by helping less knowledgeable photographers. The act of explaining things to others makes you distill the ideas or processes to their most basic form snd over time you come to own that knowledge in a way you didnt before.

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 21, 2014 20:29 |  #24

I joined right after I picked up my first DSLR, a Canon T1i. I learned at least 90% of what I know from POTN. Almost every question I had was already asked and answered by someone else, which allowed me to lurk for long periods of time. The images gave me inspiration and ideas for me to work with. And with a very small percentage (<.01) I could easily ask a question and get several ideas from several different photographers here. I help when I can with an answer, but for good or bad, I still consider myself to be a lurker.

feedback

gear list

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 23, 2014 11:53 |  #25

90+ percent of what I know was learned right here at POTN.

I've been here since about 2007 (had a different screen name at one time, bought a new computer, lost passwords and files, and just formed a new screen name. Don't know if the old one is alive or dead it's been so long).

Regardless, POTN has no equal online in terms of support and learning. Plus, it has a very, very low snob factor.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Nov 23, 2014 12:29 |  #26

I'm not growing - I'm 75 and shrinking ... but I'll die with a Canon in my hand.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Strontium
Durr?
7,409 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 26, 2014 07:20 |  #27

Have learned a tremendous amount. Including how to spend money. Can't say I've 'grown' as a photographer. Having knowledge and putting it into practice are two different things. Doesn't help that I've been very lazy with respect to this hobby, for the past year.

I am I

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 30, 2014 01:26 |  #28

Str0ntium wrote in post #17293894 (external link)
Have learned a tremendous amount. Including how to spend money. Can't say I've 'grown' as a photographer. Having knowledge and putting it into practice are two different things. Doesn't help that I've been very lazy with respect to this hobby, for the past year.

Well, by growing, I meant skill-wise. For example, by applying knowledge, I have gained skill, and thus have grown. I attribute a lot of what I've learned to POTN, however, I attribute me putting into action to myself.

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

ricsha
110 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 01, 2014 21:49 |  #29

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17282760 (external link)
I've learned a LOT and my wallet is much lighter. Thanks! grrrr

Mostly I've learned a lot about composition and technique. I love sharing my work and getting feedback but mostly enjoy other members' work. It's very interesting to view so many different styles from all over the world. I've been a member of many online forums but this one is by far the most interesting AND educational. Glad to be here.

This! My wallet is much lighter too, never knew there was so much stuff I couldn't live without! It's a disease.

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited over 6 years ago by merp.

Dec 05, 2014 21:10 |  #30
bannedPermanently

Well....since 2006...07?

Everyone here definitely put me in the right direction.

sponsored links

8,911 views & 5 likes for this thread
How much have you grown as a photographer since joining POTN?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.