Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 05 Dec 2014 (Friday) 10:34
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Please choose one that best describes your sentiment"
I liked the old POTN which was a Canon centric forum.
2.8%
I liked the old Canon centric POTN and a few new features would have been welcomed but sufficient.
5.1%
I hate the new POTN and wish we had any form of the old POTN back.
14%
I like the new POTN but wish it were still a Canon centric forum.
10.3%
I like the new POTN, which isn’t a Canon centric forum
67.8%

214 voters, 214 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Old POTN -vs- New POTN, Poll

this thread is locked
Iscariotau
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 05, 2014 18:45 |  #31

Thats a pretty clear result so far..

MyFlickr (external link)

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,458 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 05, 2014 20:53 |  #32

Love the new POTN and love seeing these strong poll results so far. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by Reservoir Dog.

Dec 06, 2014 00:09 |  #33

I LOVE the new POTN
I LOVE AMASS

It's an AMASSING (amazing ;) ) upgrade !!!
I love the new design !
I love to click on [more/report/share] and give all the info all the tabs without changing page
I love that it's not any more only Canon (and i'm a Canon Guy) but let open to every one for more shares :love:
I love the thumbnails on the side
I love the design of the "hand" showing the post
I love the design of the eyeglasses to magnify the picture
I love the possibility in the forum index to place the blocks where we want (thanks TeamSpeed for the tips)
I love the easter egg :-D
I love the font of the title look like it's written by hand
I love the "Fetch" function (just discover it today = i know i forgot my eyeglasses)
I love how the website handle the upload of the pictures (beginners in photography will not anymore struggle to resize their pictures)
I love the green arrow (step backward/step forward) when we write something
I love the new "Quote" system
I love to be able to move those little "windows functions" when we write

I love to continue to discover some new functionality every days
I love ... etc. etc. etc...

But I am angry against those ones making a lot of noise and speaking with a lot of disrespect about the new UI and the Pekka's huuuge work,
Yes, i'm angry when i see words like "crap", etc ..., those people are just showing IMHO a lack of education and respect, you can do not like the new AMASS, and the new UI cannot satisfy every single one, but there is a minimum to speak with respect !

Pekka Thank you !! thank you a lot for your AMASSING work, the version 1.0 is already an EXCELLENT version and do not forget > "cutting a tree make a lot more noise than a growing up forest" meaning people unhappy will make a lot of noise compare to the happy ones ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 06, 2014 00:14 |  #34

What a great poll. At least we know that the majority of people feel positively about AMASS and that all of the negative comments are coming from the minority of people who dislike it.

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,234 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 06, 2014 02:41 |  #35

At first I missed the old format but after getting used to it visually, I much prefer the new system. I really like the notifications at the top of the page, it makes things much easier when browsing the site and replying to threads.

The cross brand part doesn't bother me the slightest bit, many users on here already have a second body from a different brand so now they can continue using the forum even more.

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,114 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 06, 2014 06:30 |  #36

JM Photos wrote in post #17315421 (external link)
What a great poll. At least we know that the majority of people feel positively about AMASS and that all of the negative comments are coming from the minority of people who dislike it.

And the poll had an ulterior motive, but the results are far and away opposite from that intent. :-D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,114 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 06, 2014 06:33 |  #37

The beta testers stated at the beginning to stay with it and keep trying it out, between changes Pekka makesand learning it, you may grow to like it, even to the point you wouldn't want to go back. That was a pretty overwhelming consensus during the last beta round. :-)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Dec 06, 2014 06:34 |  #38

The results are in: the new POTN is AMASSing :)

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 06, 2014 12:09 |  #39

I like the new software, but I don't really care whether it is Canon centric or not. I can just ignore the sections in which I am not interested, or I could go so far as to hide them (haven't decided about that yet). And being able to sort now, I have pushed a bunch of them to the bottom. But thinking about it, just because I don't want to read about Pentax or Leica or whatever brand, it will probably benefit the forum as a whole, by bringing more people into the other sections of the forum and widening the knowledge base considerably. I am not interested in discussing the pros and cons of a non-Canon camera with someone from Brand X, but that person may certainly have good information about a tripod or camera bag or printer that could be of benefit to me. All in all I think AMASS is a great step forward, even though I still have a bit to learn about it. And so far, that is a pretty enjoyable task!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,085 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 06, 2014 12:16 as a reply to  @ Yno's post |  #40

at the end.. it's the pictures that we want :)

having other brands can widen your selection of choices.

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by Ralph III. (9 edits in all)

Dec 06, 2014 12:46 |  #41

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17315724 (external link)
And the poll had an ulterior motive, but the results are far and away opposite from that intent. :-D

I started the POLL and your portrayal is not only ignorant but completely inaccurate!

I made the poll as straight forward, unbiased and simple as possible. You know full well TeamSpeed this Poll was started in response to the "AMASS User Poll" which, although somewhat tongue and cheek, does have an ulterior motive and is highly biased as written.

1) That Poll is titled as an "Amass..." Poll.
2) The AMASS Poll is written with an abundant number of questions that would invoke obvious and mostly positive responses for AMASS.
3) The questions were stacked in favor of AMASS and then an uphill challenge was levied to see if those results could be overcome by including one available direct alternative response [I]"Beg for the old POTN to be brought back".

A few other issues as well...

It's not a legitimate Poll, maybe it wasn't written as such, but it's results were seemingly intended to cast a favorable light on AMASS. I suspect the OP helped craft AMASS.

---------------

In regards to this Poll.

Yes, I am strongly apposed to some or many of the changes but it's already been noted it's an excellent poll even by those who highly favor the new POTN! In fact, y'all are actually reveling in how great the POLL is going for you!

The Poll was written honestly and exactly as I intended. Despite what you might think the results are not surprising to me at all given the amount of outspoken support shown has outweighed the amount of outspoken opposition.

However, y'all don't understand the significance of such a poll because this is what you're missing or not realizing.

**** Those of you who are in favor of the new format were going to stay POTN members even if POTN had not changed! That is a point to remember. So POTN would have remained at 100%, so to speak.

****In stark contrast, there is a good percentage who do not care for the new format and we do not like the fact it is no longer Canon centric! That is the other point to remember. Therefore, you are going to see a percentage of people who are no longer "happy" with POTN, who may not "visit" POTN as much, or no longer "participate" as actively or otherwise actually end up "leaving" for another forum.

Now let me educate you on the results of the Poll. The Poll currently shows 78% (now 74%) like the new POTN as is but it also shows 15% (now 17%) dislike the new POTN or who prefer the old POTN!

If I had a business and I made a drastic change at my business to where NOW only 74% of my customers were happy, with 17% strongly NOW unhappy; I'd be in a LOT of trouble.

This Poll purposefully doesn't include those who are "undecided"! Because, as the forum continues to drift away from being Canon centric and as it becomes more cluttered, there will be more who drift away from POTN.

The results are far from being stellar as you think and quite high. You can also bet a percentage of the 7.8% (now 10%) who "Like the new POTN but wish it had stayed Canon centric", will become discontent at some point as the site continues to drift from being Canon centric....

God Bless,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 06, 2014 13:11 |  #42

i think the 7.8 % will become happy at some point...who's to say which one of us is going to be right...also, there wasn't any basis for 'strongly' unhappy...it could just be a tiny bit unhappy...you didn't specify that in your poll...

either way, the minority few that leave will be replaced by others...it probably happened everyday before the new changes anyways

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,114 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Dec 06, 2014 13:30 |  #43

You know what they say about Assumptions... and there were alot made when making this poll (and prior rants) and in reading its results. I have been here a long time and know the long-timers much longer, with more experience with them, so I can see some of the issues with the assumptions made here and in the prior posts.

With the upcoming changes, this forum can be just Canon for those that want it to be, and just Nikon for the others, etc. With filters, and more configurations of when you want a forum filtered for one thing and not another, this won't drift away. Also, as Nikon has started to take over in the DR wars using Sony sensors, it is invariably going to happen that we have cross-pollination between the brands even if we had stayed on Vbulletin, it already happened ALOT.

I project we will lose about 5% of the membership over the next 3 months. However, with the continuing improvements and enhancements, word will get out, and that 5% loss will be mitigated with a 15% gain in membership. These are just my opinions, but let's see what happens. Momentum has already started to occur with people acclimating and actually liking all the new features, despite some of the inconsistencies and missing features. Both of those will be addressed over time, leaving no room for complaints about moving away from VB.

Also another assumption you made that was grossly incorrect is that this is a business. It is not, this is done by a musician who has a love for photography, and has been working on this new version to wipe away the inadequacies of Vbulletin. Have you paid for anything on this forum in the past? Donated anything? Buy anything? Click on all the ads that are on the site to generate revenue? Where is this big business again?

If you had researched Chet and his background, you would have known immediately what that poll was for. It was meant to be fun and light hearted to offset some of the very rude comments made by a number of folks. It wasn't meant for a realistic pulse of the general population. Still the results from either poll is very telling, no matter how it is spun.

We will just have to agree to disagree with you. You can also call me ignorant all you want, that is something you have to ultimately answer to, and not to me. Probably alot of people find me ignorant, and that is okay, I am happy with myself and my God-given skills and wisdom just as it is. ;)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,114 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 06, 2014 13:31 |  #44

DreDaze wrote in post #17316393 (external link)
i think the 7.8 % will become happy at some point...who's to say which one of us is going to be right...also, there wasn't any basis for 'strongly' unhappy...it could just be a tiny bit unhappy...you didn't specify that in your poll...

either way, the minority few that leave will be replaced by others...it probably happened everyday before the new changes anyways

No, Pekka had turned off new registrations, but that is one of those priority items that should be addressed before trivial things like fonts and themes.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,102 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 06, 2014 15:56 |  #45

What an odd selection of words to put in bold and hyphens

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

sponsored links

19,654 views & 54 likes for this thread
Old POTN -vs- New POTN, Poll
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.