Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 06:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji x100 vs x100s

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 06, 2014 06:51 |  #1

Sorry for the nature of this thread but I'm torn about which one would be right for me. I've seen the online specs, but I can't find anyone to talk to about the x100 after the firmware update.

My current setups are:
Canon 60d
Canon 40d
Lumix LX7
Sony RX100

I love the RX100 for pocket carry but sadly it is starting to give me the buzz issues reported by many others. It takes a beautiful picture but the buzz is starting to really bug me. I bought it open box, so I don't believe I have any sort of warranty protection.

I've been lusting after the Fuji line for a while now and I'm starting to save and plan on the Sony possibly dying on me. I would really like to buy something new now, and not put myself in the same place I'm in with the Sony.

I have a BIL that was a professional photographer using all Nikon gear and now that he isn't doing it for work he sold everything off and bought the x100s. I was a bit shocked, but he said it was just that good.

Would I be better off holding out for the x100s and maybe hope prices will come down, or should I go for the x100 and try to get the firmware update? It might save me a little money, but I want a camera that I will love. I've handled the x100s on display at Best Buy, but like always...it wouldn't turn on for me to test as they never properly charge their display items.

Wondering if I need to just try to sell off some cheap stuff to help towards the Fuji. My Lumix LX7 is basically brand new, and I have the viewfinder on the way now. I like it a lot, but want the Fuji as my go to when not lugging around the 60d.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

sponsored links
seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 06, 2014 11:21 |  #2

modestglock26 wrote in post #17315745 (external link)
....I have a BIL that was a professional photographer using all Nikon gear and now that he isn't doing it for work he sold everything off and bought the x100s. I was a bit shocked, but he said it was just that good....

I have both the X100 (with the latest firmware) and the X100S. I agree with your BIL, the X100S is that good. So I would get the X100S. As more people upgrade to the newest X100T, the price of the S will come down.

—Eric

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 06, 2014 13:28 |  #3

watch the deals, I saw B & H selling an x100s for like $850 new last week

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 06, 2014 13:36 |  #4

I know I'm not hurting for a camera so I probably should hold out for a deal. I'm hoping the x100t will help me in the price market and hopefully the S will drop some. I was seeing the non S for closer to $500 but I'm not sure how much of a difference I would notice and I don't want to be kicking myself over it shortly after purchase.

They had an open box x20 at BB for $399 with no battery and I couldn't consider that a deal worth even thinking about. They also didn't have any x100's on display at all, just one S that was also open box and over $800.

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 06, 2014 14:22 |  #5

On the used market, I've been seeing x100s dropping as low as $600 for great condition models. X100 seems to be dropping at a slower rate, but from many user reports the latest firmware brought the performance pretty close to the x100s. Many folks also just prefer a standard sensor vs the Xtrans (although many feel the opposite). I don't think you can go wrong with either model.

Neil

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 06, 2014 14:31 |  #6

OP, there's a guy selling an X100 for $425 on the FujiX forums.

Neil

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 06, 2014 15:47 |  #7

I had the X100 with firmware 2.03 i believe... The X100s is so much better.
Dont buy the X100, and to me, the specs on the T don't justify upgrading from S.
Here och in Sweden they lowered the price on x100s with $200 last week (most stores).

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 06, 2014 16:02 as a reply to  @ Nightdiver13's post |  #8

I'm not familiar with the sensor they use, so I guess that's something else I will have to look into. I saw people mention the x100 was much improved after the updates, but I guess I'm wondering if anything with the x100s could change for the better as well.

I don't know if my Sony is going to die on my or not, I'll cross that bridge when it happens. I think no matter what the outcome with that is, there will be a Fuji in my near future.

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 06, 2014 16:11 |  #9

bent toe wrote in post #17316672 (external link)
I had the X100 with firmware 2.03 i believe... The X100s is so much better.
Dont buy the X100, and to me, the specs on the T don't justify upgrading from S.
Here och in Sweden they lowered the price on x100s with $200 last week (most stores).

Bent, can you elaborate on why the x100s is much better? On the FujiX forums, I read a lot of conflicting reports.

Neil

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 06, 2014 19:53 |  #10

I prefer the original x100 over the x100s (I've had both).

In my humble opinion: x100t > x100 > x100s

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 07, 2014 06:03 as a reply to  @ v35skyline's post |  #11

Any particular reason why?

Don't get me wrong, if the x100 will save me money and still blow me away I will go that route. I just don't want to keep saying "dang I knew I should've went with the S" when it comes to it.

I'm hoping whatever I get will be my main travel camera as I fly every month down to FL. The Lumix LX7 will soon have the viewfinder on it 100% of the time so I will be able to bring that as well. The south FL bright sun makes using just the LCD a bit tough.

I love my 60d, and have brought my 40d down a few times but I just fly down with one bag and don't want it to be all lenses and camera gear. The Fuji's really seem like a solid product.

I mostly shoot candid portrait, macro and landscapes. Nothing sports related or really fast at all.

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by bent toe.

Dec 07, 2014 12:18 |  #12

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #17316720 (external link)
Bent, can you elaborate on why the x100s is much better? On the FujiX forums, I read a lot of conflicting reports.

Sure.
I can not base it on IQ since i think they are equally good.

Whats better with X100s:
AF is so much faster
MF actually works
Q menu/button
Higher ISO
Menu layout
Improved OVF
X-trans Cmos II sensor
Phasedetection
60 fps 1080p video
6 fps
Split image focus

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 07, 2014 12:20 |  #13

modestglock26 wrote in post #17317885 (external link)
Any particular reason why?

Don't get me wrong, if the x100 will save me money and still blow me away I will go that route. I just don't want to keep saying "dang I knew I should've went with the S" when it comes to it.

I'm hoping whatever I get will be my main travel camera as I fly every month down to FL. The Lumix LX7 will soon have the viewfinder on it 100% of the time so I will be able to bring that as well. The south FL bright sun makes using just the LCD a bit tough.

I love my 60d, and have brought my 40d down a few times but I just fly down with one bag and don't want it to be all lenses and camera gear. The Fuji's really seem like a solid product.

I mostly shoot candid portrait, macro and landscapes. Nothing sports related or really fast at all.

I highly recomend the S over the original, but thats me.
I could never go back to the original after the S versions improvments (fast AF, Q button, OVF and so on..)

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 07, 2014 12:36 as a reply to  @ bent toe's post |  #14

Thank you for the info. I was looking at them used on Adorama at the moment. Not sure if I should wait or just give in to the pressure... :) Dang hobbies.

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 07, 2014 12:37 as a reply to  @ bent toe's post |  #15

Thanks for the summary. Certainly looks obvious when you list it out that way. I've always taken first-hand user comparisons at face value since I have no experience with either camera, and I wonder why some prefer the X100.

Neil

sponsored links

16,522 views & 2 likes for this thread
Fuji x100 vs x100s
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.