Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 03 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 05:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hate the new look...

Strontium
Durr?
7,381 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 06, 2014 22:05 |  #91

Aswald wrote in post #17317425 (external link)
Does anyone know what happened to the CP (Control Panel) function? I can't seem to find all the threads I'm following...

Thanks in advance.

Check this thread:

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17317320

I am I

sponsored links
Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 06, 2014 22:15 |  #92

a lot of negativity in this thread,
I like the new forum, it needs some fine tuning and it will take a while to get used to.

I have faith in Pekka,

I'm sure in time it will be the envy of the internet

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,483 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by OhLook.

Dec 07, 2014 11:16 |  #93

Dusty wrote in post #17317422 (external link)
Well I know it's a cheap way to palm someone else's thoughts and concerns off, by deflecting the conversation off to one side, saying "do you at least like the pants I wore in the 70s" and things like that.
It's your choices to fill these threads with spam.
It makes finding helpful info about Amass much harder to find though.

I take your point. Inserting frivolous posts gives the impression that questions and complaints aren't taken seriously. But please try to understand what it's like at this end. Mods, beta testers, and members at large have been helping all week, not to mention Pekka--and his sleep deprivation before and since AMASS! was released is worrisome. We've sat in front of our computers for hours, dealing with hateful and insulting and mean-spirited posts from critics who have no manners, no tact, and perhaps no empathy and not even any social skills for faking empathy. The current thread, in fact, is titled "Hate the new look." Would people say such things to Pekka in person?

After a while, one's head explodes.

I don't happen to know whether listing threads chronologically from top to bottom is offered. Most likely, no one who knows has read this thread, or your question would have been answered. I suggest repeating the question in one of the question threads in the Software Talk forum or starting a thread for it there.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 07, 2014 12:56 |  #94

I used to have all of Heather Thomas's posters. Two of each, one for home and one for work.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 07, 2014 21:44 as a reply to  @ post 17317429 |  #95

Ok. Thank you. Found it!

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 07, 2014 21:45 as a reply to  @ Strontium's post |  #96

Thanks! Got it.

Dusty
Goldmember
1,150 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 08, 2014 01:23 |  #97

OhLook wrote in post #17318310 (external link)
I take your point. Inserting frivolous posts gives the impression that questions and complaints aren't taken seriously.
I don't happen to know whether listing threads chronologically from top to bottom is offered. Most likely, no one who knows has read this thread, or your question would have been answered. I suggest repeating the question in one of the question threads in the Software Talk forum or starting a thread for it there.

I sincerely thank you for your reply.

Dusty.

Dusty
20Da, 7D MkII, 5DII,1DX, 16-35L , 24-105L , 85L , 135L , 200L f/2.8 , 300L f/2.8 , MP-E 65

Gary ­ McDuffie
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 08, 2014 18:01 |  #98

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17313202 (external link)
So when a new camera comes out, you don't have to learn it just because it has been changed?
When a new car comes out with new features, new motor, new maintenance regiment, you don't have to learn it?

Both of these are very software-ridden, and regardless of software or hardware, both require you to learn something about it when new versions come out. Every new version of software, online service, etc requires you to go learn something about it. This wasn't a revision, this was a brand-new version. Yes you will have to learn its set up, navigation, and other features.

There are indeed some UI elements and features that need to be made more consistent, but please keep in mind this has been in production as vs 1.0 less than a week. It will get better over time, like EVERY other service on the web that goes live for the first time. This indeed is a new service that has gone live, it just used your old account and database of previous posts to bootstrap it.

Please keep an eye on the release notes and product roadmap threads that Pekka has issued. We (the beta team) apologize that the interface isn't as you would like it, we will try better on future beta testing phases and releases.

I really appreciate the amount of work that had to go into this piece of work. However, it is driving me completely away, and I know others are feeling the same way. Because I am NOT a professional photographer, I don't feel I can "raise hell" about it. But the user interface just doesn't get it.

When you buy a new car, you may have a few things to learn about new features, but you'll be able to get in and close the door and drive off without consulting a manual or looking for the steering wheel. These things will be right where they used to be. You will also not have to learn how to drive. When you get a new camera, you normally get one that is similar to what you had and you know most of how to "drive" it. If you get something totally different, that is part of your decision making in deciding to go with something different, and you plan on having a bigger learning curve. However, you don't have to relearn how to point, focus, and shoot.

I've been out of touch with two (the only two) groups that I subscribed to, and getting a few hundred posts behind on looking at them, base on the normal rate of posts. I don't have time to sit down and take a very long time learning a completely new system. This is especially true when the old system worked so well, and was quite intuitive. The word intuitive isn't even in the same building with what we have now. There are many of us who used the system a certain way, and Pekka says that isn't even possible now and he had never used it in that way. Yes, some of it is being looked at for change, but in the meantime, we're just falling further and further behind. By the time it becomes usable (to me), it might take weeks to catch up with new posts in threads I'm following, etc. For now, I'm beating my head against the wall. I'll check back maybe once every couple of weeks and see what's happening with it. When/if it becomes more usable, I'll jump right back in again. In the meantime, this is way too time consuming.

By the way, I've beta tested lots of software over the just under 40 years I've been involved in computers, and I know it is work, as is the coding. I appreciate the amount of work that had to have gone into this. I just don't feel I can learn it the way it is, without putting way too many hours into it. Too many burnt synapses at my age. New ideas don't come easy at all.

Gary
"I'm not much of an artist, but I like to document certain things that I see."
----------
5DII, 7D, some L, Manfroto one and three legged devices, shooting & learning bit by bit via POTN

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,128 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined May 2002

Dec 09, 2014 18:28 as a reply to  @ Gary McDuffie's post |  #99

There isn't much different really. You click on the New and Followed to get the latest updates to either all new posts across forums you are tracking, or new replies to those threads you follow. You can get to the index by using the Index at the top, and you can filter out any you don't care about, and rearrange the sections, and even the forums under a section. The reply and its editor probably takes the most amount of time to learn.

You could spend time to pick through the changes and learn them, or re-establish yourself on another forum and hope to have the same type of group/members to discuss things with. It is certainly your prerogative.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 09, 2014 19:00 |  #100

Gary McDuffie wrote in post #17321308 (external link)
..... I just don't feel I can learn it the way it is, without putting way too many hours into it. Too many burnt synapses at my age. New ideas don't come easy at all.

I'm just amazed at the number of people complaining so much about the new look. It's really not that different. I'm also an old geezer, but don't find navigating AMASS hard at all, and it's interesting to explore the new features and improvements. So, many thanks and congratulations to Pekka and his beta crew, particularly for their patience in putting up with rude and non-constructive comments.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,128 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined May 2002

Dec 09, 2014 19:04 |  #101

I am old too, and was able to quickly pick up the reins on these here newfangled web pages. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 09, 2014 19:08 |  #102

I knew the change was coming but didn't realize it was happening when i was in the hospital for some surgery. When I got home and was feeling better I logged on and thought it was all the pain meds taking effect. Ha.

I'm sure I'll get the feel of it more as I use it. That seems like the only problem I have, not sure where things are instantly like the old one.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,756 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 09, 2014 19:11 |  #103

Gaarryy wrote in post #17323583 (external link)
I knew the change was coming but didn't realize it was happening when i was in the hospital for some surgery. When I got home and was feeling better I logged on and thought it was all the pain meds taking effect. Ha.

I'm sure I'll get the feel of it more as I use it. That seems like the only problem I have, not sure where things are instantly like the old one.

That is a process that takes about two-three days.
I'll make the top navigation and FYEO much clearer in the near future.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

snerd
655 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 09, 2014 19:13 |  #104

Gaarryy wrote in post #17323583 (external link)

I've had 5 surgeries in the last 7 years. The last one snuck up on me.......... gall bladder! I got home after a week in hospital and thought I was way too medicated too!!! :lol:

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 09, 2014 19:49 |  #105

snerd wrote in post #17323593 (external link)
I've had 5 surgeries in the last 7 years. The last one snuck up on me.......... gall bladder! I got home after a week in hospital and thought I was way too medicated too!!! :lol:

ouch I've had that also. I had my left hip replaced in September and just had the right hip replaced over Thanksgiving. I can't say that they snuck up on me since I've been putting them off for a while now. Hope you are recovering nicely from all of your surgeries.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

sponsored links

13,956 views & 32 likes for this thread
Hate the new look...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.