Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 06:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji x100 vs x100s

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 07, 2014 14:15 |  #16

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #17318463 (external link)
Thanks for the summary. Certainly looks obvious when you list it out that way. I've always taken first-hand user comparisons at face value since I have no experience with either camera, and I wonder why some prefer the X100.

Firstly i've heard that the old x-trans sensor has another punch to it's images.. something that many agrees on. I couldent see it.
Secondly many of the X100 users have been with the X100 since 1.0 FW up til 2.03 and seen how much it has improved... BUT, it's still far from the S version since it's hardware based upgrades aswell, not everything can be fixed in software.

The jump from X100 to S version is, IMO, a huge leap up. The jump between S and T are much less, S and T has the same sensor, Q button and so on.. the improvments on the T are not worth upgrading imo. I believe they did some changes to the body aswell.. less sharp? More rounded?

Anyway, the best thing to do is to go into a camera store and try them out.

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

sponsored links
modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 07, 2014 14:30 as a reply to  @ bent toe's post |  #17

That last bit it was keeps screwing me over each time. Every store I go into seems to have the same problem...they have empty shelves or the cameras they do have all aren't holding a charge.

I've see an x100s in person once and it wouldn't turn on. Going to stores as become a complete wasted venture. It is the same issue I had when wanting to check out the Canon 60d and no one had one in a store that would turn on. Empty shelves with stickers showing a product and it's price don't help me much.

I've since tried to support myself by shopping online, often for better prices and less headache.

Adding to this is the fact that all the stores near me just hire kids in high school as sales associates and most of them have never taken a picture with anything other than their phone. Asking a technical question normally ends with zero knowledge gained on my end.

I think I will focus my attention on the S now and just try to hold out for good deal.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by bent toe.

Dec 07, 2014 14:39 |  #18

modestglock26 wrote in post #17318672 (external link)
That last bit it was keeps screwing me over each time. Every store I go into seems to have the same problem...they have empty shelves or the cameras they do have all aren't holding a charge.

I've see an x100s in person once and it wouldn't turn on. Going to stores as become a complete wasted venture. It is the same issue I had when wanting to check out the Canon 60d and no one had one in a store that would turn on. Empty shelves with stickers showing a product and it's price don't help me much.

I've since tried to support myself by shopping online, often for better prices and less headache.

Adding to this is the fact that all the stores near me just hire kids in high school as sales associates and most of them have never taken a picture with anything other than their phone. Asking a technical question normally ends with zero knowledge gained on my end.

I think I will focus my attention on the S now and just try to hold out for good deal.

Read and watch reviews, read "reviews" and thoughts from regular people.... then add it all up.
I can tell you for a FACT that the S wont dissapoint you.

*Edit
i'm coming from a 60D and a 1Ds.. and the X100s are faster in AF than the 60D, has 49 focus points compared to the 60D's 9.
The X100s beats the 60D in ISO on 6400.

The 60D has the digi 4 processor from 2010, the X100s has the much improved X-trans CMOS II sensor... believe it or not, but the X100s IS a beast, no matter what DSLR people tell you.
I been on both sides of the fence.

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 07, 2014 15:08 as a reply to  @ bent toe's post |  #19

I believe that about the S vs the 60d. I do love my 60d though. I can't really part with it and all my glass for what it is really worth to me. That being said, I'm totally okay with owning all sorts of different makes, model and platforms.

Right now I don't have a ton of gear, but I'm not hurting for anything new. I just started getting some jobs doing portraits and landscape prints. I wouldn't part with the 60d or 40d, but the LX7, and RX100 aren't really that important to me for the above needs. They are just a convenient option as I fly to south FL every month and it's just too easy to go with a really nice P&S option.

I have been trying to read up a ton, but a lot of reviews keep mentioning the feel of the old sensor vs the new. It's kind of like when someone mentions the magic of the 5D classic. It's hard to put into words at times.

With that being said, both the 100 and 100s seem to yield some amazing photos. I also blame the skill behind the camera for the stuff I've seen online. I've gotta stop looking at the flickr pools for each one.

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 07, 2014 15:24 as a reply to  @ modestglock26's post |  #20

As someone who also has been thinking of picking up a purely portable camera for times when taking the full kit isn't desirable, I've been looking at many models, but the two that keep floating to the top are the X100s and the new LX100. The LX100 is pretty spendy, but it sure looks amazing. Guessing you've thought about that one and ruled it out already, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Neil

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 07, 2014 15:33 as a reply to  @ Nightdiver13's post |  #21

I've glanced at them. I had an LX3 (cracked the LCD but it still works fine), and have a newish LX7 that I use and just ordered the viewfinder for. To be honest, I hadn't looked up much on the LX100 yet. The LX7 went with a smaller sensor vs the LX5 it replaced, if I'm recalling correctly. For me, I've just been unhappy with the noise I've gotten on it. I'm sure the LX7 would get me by just fine if my RX100 dies. Recently I've been keen on sticker to a larger sensor when possible, but I'll see what I can find on the LX100 as well.

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 07, 2014 15:42 |  #22

modestglock26 wrote in post #17318772 (external link)
I've glanced at them. I had an LX3 (cracked the LCD but it still works fine), and have a newish LX7 that I use and just ordered the viewfinder for. To be honest, I hadn't looked up much on the LX100 yet. The LX7 went with a smaller sensor vs the LX5 it replaced, if I'm recalling correctly. For me, I've just been unhappy with the noise I've gotten on it. I'm sure the LX7 would get me by just fine if my RX100 dies. Recently I've been keen on sticker to a larger sensor when possible, but I'll see what I can find on the LX100 as well.

The LX100 uses an micro 4/3 sensor, which I believe is the largest sensor to appear in an LX body. By all reports, the high ISO performance is quite good, although I don't know how it compares to the Fuji Xtrans, which is amazing.

Neil

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by taemo.

Dec 07, 2014 21:07 |  #23

I've owned both the X100 and X100s and while the X100s was a nice improvement when it first came out, now I feel like the X100 performs just as good as the other 2.

In terms of AF speed I would say the X100 performs 85% of the X100s and 70% of the X100T.
The X100 with latest firmware 2.10 is decently quick, 0.5s to 0.75s in low light situation and much quicker in good light. The X100T is twice as fast but I can't compare the X100s as I haven't held one for over a year.

I'll be one of the few that recommends the X100 against the X100s if you're in a tight budget but first let me tell you how I shoot the X100 series camera.
Aperture mode, AF-S, center-AF, RAW mode, Fn for ND filter and manual ISO.
I've been shooting film and rangefinder primarily for over a year now so I rely very little to the latest tech nor I need the fastest AF to get the shot, I either zone-focus, pre-focus or just take my time.
As long as I know AF or MF focuses to where I point and that I can control shutter, aperture and ISO, I am happy.
When out shooting I rarely play around with the buttons on the back, only the RAW/Q button to quickly change ISO.

In regards there's the 12MP vs 16MP debate, I don't print anything larger than 24x32 and 12MP is more than enough for this.
The 35mm focal length is 2nd nature to me and I can zoom in with my feet so I rarely crop.

Dynamic range and high-ISO?
If you shoot a lot of low light and want the cleanest pictures then X100s and X100T is the one to get but personally I don't mind ISO 1600 and I love grain.

X100 at ISO 1600

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8521/8479051218_9a2fe8a22c_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dVgm​wf  (external link) DSCF9858 (external link) by earl.dieta (external link), on Flickr

My plan is to keep shooting with my recently re-purchased $350 X100, when it dies I will then replace it with an X100T.

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 08, 2014 10:10 |  #24

Beautiful photo taemo, and I second almost everything you said, minus the shooting style.

I added the TCL to get the 50mm FL and I didn't think I could love my X100 more, but it has made this camera even more perfect. I don't pay too much attention to the Bayer vs X-trans sensor, but every photo that drops my jaw happens to be shot with the orignal X100. I shoot with a 6D, but I don't find the AF on the x100 to be that slow. I mainly got the x100 as a street/travel/fun camera, which I do use it for, but I ended up using it at Weddings. Clients have bought prints that were taken with that camera as well. I had an opportunity to upgrade to the x100s, but it would have been an impulse buy and I'm extremely happy with my X100.

With a single fixed lens camera, I think the smartest move would be to get the best you can afford, or the one in the best condition. The orignal had some issues that could either cost you a repair that will equal the same price as an S in the end, or just cause it to be a cool looking paper weight and waste of money. The S didnt have such issues and seems like Fuji will still support it with FW updates (although none announced at this time).

I'm hoping my X100 never dies and I can keep it forever, but one day I will upgrade to the T when prices fall. The only near future buy might be the X100LE b/c black looks pretty slick lol. Good luck in your search, either way the X100 line will blow you away.
-AZ

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 08, 2014 11:33 |  #25

Nightdiver13 wrote in post #17318463 (external link)
Thanks for the summary. Certainly looks obvious when you list it out that way. I've always taken first-hand user comparisons at face value since I have no experience with either camera, and I wonder why some prefer the X100.

Some dont like the x trans sensor. I have found that you need to process the images differently than I do with my bayer equipped 6D. I can adapt. Others cant or wont.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 10, 2014 11:49 |  #26

No wrong answer here. You don't get the Fuji X100 series just for the IQ anyways. The IQ is great but most APS-C cameras with decent lenses attached to them are capable of producing equally good pictures. Although I do buy into the magic of Fuji's JPEGs.

You get it cause it has great IQ and is a blast to shoot with. Just a really fun camera.

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 10, 2014 13:06 |  #27

Took a step in the right direction today and sold my Sony RX100. I'm not left with a Lumix LX7, and the EVF I ordered got delayed a day so I will mess with that a good bit once it arrives and then decide if it's a keeper.

Can't wait. I'm going to hold out for the S.

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 10, 2014 15:35 |  #28

I've seen two sold for under $700 recently. I don't think you'll have to hold out for long.

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 10, 2014 17:21 as a reply to  @ AZFiLM's post |  #29

This wait is killing me. My only fear is getting one used and having it act up or die on me. Going new seems like the least amount of headache, but maybe I'm just antsy. There are several used ones between adorama, amazon and probably b&h that I could snag. I'm still debating the all black vs two tone. I mean, one looks like a classic, the other a bit stealth.

Clearly I need help :/

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by StayFrosty. (2 edits in all)

Dec 11, 2014 00:33 |  #30

taemo wrote in post #17319394 (external link)
Dynamic range and high-ISO?
If you shoot a lot of low light and want the cleanest pictures then X100s and X100T is the one to get but personally I don't mind ISO 1600 and I love grain.

In social settings I regularly find myself at f2 ISO 6400 with my x100s. As long as it is exposed well noise is not an issue unless you really hate grain! That's 2-3 stops which is quite a lot if it is important to you to get the shot in low light (without flash), it is to me.

I can't find any non-private 6400 ones at the moment but this one is at ISO4000 taken in a very dark bar lit only with low key spots and Christmas decorations:

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3772/11579405874_e4b6965a5a_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/iDet​WS  (external link) Adam (external link) by JonClayton3D (external link), on Flickr

In summary the x100 is good but the x100s is better and the x100t will be even better, you pay your money and take your choice. Personally I think OP is making the right decision getting the s.

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

sponsored links

16,439 views & 2 likes for this thread
Fuji x100 vs x100s
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.