Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying first savage seamless, advice on headshot setup

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 06, 2014 18:49 |  #1

Hello everyone :) So I was attempting a holiday shoot with my 4 year old but turns out that it would be easier if i had a roll of seamless. So I am going to buy my first ever, the roll of the larger 107" savage thunder grey. Here is my question: I have shot a head shot session for a client when I just used the umbrella as key above angled down and a reflector as fill below since i didn't have a strobe at the time and just my 568exii hotshoe.

Since i will now have the seamless, strobe and speed light, can i simply do strobe in soft box as key and they 568ex from underneath in tiny umbrella as fill rather then the reflector? I can meter both to see where my ratio would be. I am thinking that since id have the seamless and strobe if i could move to a different method? OR

Could I stick to my reflector as fill and use the 568exii as a background for a bit of separation?

Thoughts? Thanks!!

sponsored links
Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 07, 2014 13:26 |  #2

If you have a patient model (maybe your wife instead of 4 yr old), try everything you can imagine. There are many videos of using 1 light and 2 lights and getting great results using lights at every angle. One idea is to use your strobe as key with a reflector as fill and your 568 behind the model firing as a hot spot on the seamless or as a hairlight. Roll up the seamless when you are done and store flat on the ground so it doesn't bow in the center (ask me how I know that).

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 07, 2014 15:10 as a reply to  @ Seamus69's post |  #3

Seamus69, thanks, ive heard or watched something that said I had to store the rolls vertical to avoid that very issue you described? Am i wrong and can i store it flat? Thanks!

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 07, 2014 15:26 |  #4

digitalduck wrote in post #17318743 (external link)
Seamus69, thanks, ive heard or watched something that said I had to store the rolls vertical to avoid that very issue you described? Am i wrong and can i store it flat? Thanks!

I store mine upright to avoid waves in the seamless from forming.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 08, 2014 15:40 |  #5

I dont want to hijack but since storing came into play I am going to ask. I have sch. 40 pipe running off the back wall of my studio, it will not sag at all (my wife hung on it to make sure :) ). If I leave it rolled up but on that bar do I still have to worry about it deforming?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,234 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 08, 2014 15:47 |  #6

Stick with the reflector. It gives you a nice ratio of fill and you dont have to worry about the extra stand being in the way, differing recycle times, accidentally getting the fill too bright and having monster shadows. Just keep it as simple as you csn.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 08, 2014 16:21 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #7

Yes, you have to worry about deforming if you don't keep it rolled tight. Get some cheap spring clamps from your local lumber or hardware store, the kind you just open with your hands and the spring shuts them tight.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 08, 2014 16:24 |  #8

ksbal wrote in post #17321138 (external link)
Yes, you have to worry about deforming if you don't keep it rolled tight. Get some cheap spring clamps from your local lumber or hardware store, the kind you just open with your hands and the spring shuts them tight.

Cool I have lots of clamps so thats not a problem. Everything I read says to store it vertical, however I also know most stands and cross bars will sag with the weight of the paper, but the bars I have running will support most people doing chin ups without bowing. As long as the paper weight itself wont deform the rest of the roll I figure I should be good as long as it is rolled tight after each use.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by nathancarter. (2 edits in all)

Dec 09, 2014 09:07 |  #9

As far as lighting:
If you use a big modifier on your main light, you might not need a fill or even a reflector. It all depends on the look you want to achieve.

I would use the Speedlight as a background light or a hair light. Especially if you have a subject with dark hair and clothes against a dark gray background, you need a little something to give them separation from the background, and define the outline of the hair and shoulders.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 12, 2014 11:37 |  #10

Gonzo and everyone, thank you for your replies!!

So, I will keep the reflector below to add a bit of bump back in the shadows, but I did want to try and add the 568ex as a hair light or just background light.. question though. Since ive always wanted to see what it would look like to give that corporate headshot look that background light on the seamless, what if any modifiers would I need for the 568? I can adjust the zoom down so its not so wide, but do I need it in a small modifier?

Thanks everybody!!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,234 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2014 11:45 |  #11

digitalduck wrote in post #17328376 (external link)
Gonzo and everyone, thank you for your replies!!

So, I will keep the reflector below to add a bit of bump back in the shadows, but I did want to try and add the 568ex as a hair light or just background light.. question though. Since ive always wanted to see what it would look like to give that corporate headshot look that background light on the seamless, what if any modifiers would I need for the 568? I can adjust the zoom down so its not so wide, but do I need it in a small modifier?

Thanks everybody!!

Try this
http://www.amazon.com …=8-2&keywords=opteka+grid (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 12, 2014 13:40 |  #12

Depends on the look you want.

For a background light, simply zooming it to the size you want may be enough. That Opteka grid will help you give it a different, cleaner shape - maybe that's better, maybe that's not.

For a hair light, a little softbox or stripbox might be nice. With the bare flash head, you can zoom all the way out or flip down the little diffuser, to get a wide spread that will hit hair and shoulders - but that'll still give you a tiny bright hotspot on a bald guy's shiny head.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 17, 2014 11:22 |  #13

Thank you everyone... here is my dilemma, OK, so i only have two 622c's so I will buy another one today for my 568exii OR should I just but the new commander 62c-tx? Seems like something good to have in the future so I could get one and then use that on camera then one on my strobe and one on the speedlight for the background ...

Is it best to have the speedlight on a light stand positioned perfectly behind subject pointing at background zoomed appropriately etc OR can it be on the floor pointing up? Ive seen it both ways and assume its best on light stand of course?

Thanks!!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,234 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 17, 2014 11:32 |  #14

It really deends on the effect you want.

Spot, ligjt on a stand aimed at the drop from behind the subject.

IMAGE: http://kevin-jones.smugmug.com/Other/Watson/i-s2w3LdT/0/XL/Ray5-XL.jpg

From lower down aimed up to make a gradient. Its hard for one light to evenly cover a drop due to falloff, but with a bit of work I could have made it all gray, but liked the effect as it duplicated the hand painted canvas drops that had a brighter center and darker edges.
IMAGE: http://kevin-jones.smugmug.com/Other/Watson/i-27Kvcvr/0/XL/Ray4-XL.jpg

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 17, 2014 11:37 |  #15

Nice Gonzo, thanks for the examples! That helps a lot.. looks like I can get the 622c first since its required and play with the positioning and go from there..

sponsored links

5,971 views & 2 likes for this thread
Buying first savage seamless, advice on headshot setup
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.