Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D vs. 7D Mark II IQ

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 07, 2014 22:37 as a reply to  @ post 17316725 |  #16

First is the 70D (which Gave me troubles before) and now the 7Dii. What I see in common is the new DUAL AF SYSTEM of both bodies. Thoughts?

sponsored links
DanC.Licks
229 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2014 00:27 |  #17

Very possible. I know that Olympus tried to improve on the AF on the (mirrorless) E-M1 over the E-M5, and it came at the cost of a slight reduction in IQ. Single shot AF is sort of OK with 4/3 lenses, and pretty good with m4/3 lenses, but continuous AF is (NOT) for the birds! Sure, problems arise with DSLRs phase detect systems, but they are fast and ideally accurate. On sensor contrast detect seems to be somehow risky. But now that DSLRs MUST be able to do video (WHY??!!) it seems to be the way things are going. People often predict the death of the DSLR, but they ain't there yet.

raksphoto
508 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 08, 2014 00:57 |  #18

I got to use my brand new 7D Mark II today at two belly dance events, an afternoon and an evening event.

Quick summary is the camera just worked remarkably, it was so much fun to use.

As soon as possible, I'll post some sample fotos to this thread. The producer for the evening event has the SD chips from the camera; when she gets them back to me, I'll have dim light club shots done with the 7d Mark II and the 50mm f/1.2L or the 35mm f/1.4L. The earlier daytime belly dance fotos were done with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

2x 7D Mark II | 70D | 5DSr
EF-S 10-18mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM |
EF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L |
EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.2L | EF 35mm f/1.4L EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM MACRO

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 08, 2014 01:29 |  #19

being an owner of a 7d since 2010, i really want to jump to the II version...

BUT

these threads scare me. after 5 years i really dont want to deal with hit and miss shots.

i only have one lens for the 7d body, but im really thinking 6d will eb my next purchase. and yes i understand the 7d's are fast action blah blah..
but when i can take sharper pics time and time again with my cell phone, there has to be a problem.

and seeing these threads makes the 2k in my pocket want to be spent somewhere else.

i will rent several bodies in the new year and see where they take me..

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 08, 2014 01:44 |  #20

bk2life wrote in post #17319799 (external link)
but when i can take sharper pics time and time again with my cell phone, there has to be a problem.

Shoot at f/8 or smaller aperture and increase the sharpening in post (or in-camera setting) and you will get sharp photos all the time too. ;)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 08, 2014 01:55 |  #21

DanC.Licks wrote in post #17319744 (external link)
But now that DSLRs MUST be able to do video (WHY??!!)

I must admit, I use dslrs for videos (weddings, parties etc.) There are three reasons I can tell for this... Versatility, cost and impression to the client. Some say why not use handycams because they just give the same output? my reason is, clients (at least in our place) find them cheap especially on a wedding. No matter how we explain to them, they still dont want them. Pro levels video cams are quite expensive and heavy. So as a resort to continue business, I preferred the dslr to capture videos. They don't look cheap and the cost is (for a 70D) low compared to Canon's C300. I know dslrs were meant for stills during the old days but I have to dance with the rhythm to cope up with competitors.

But then again, this technology really brings some headaches sometimes. Sorry for being out of the topic. :-)

DanC.Licks
229 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2014 02:35 |  #22

I don't think that is off topic. It has to do with the compromises we are having to deal with.
For those of us who have zero interest in video, it would be great to have a camera that is 100% optimized for stills.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 08, 2014 09:17 as a reply to  @ DanC.Licks's post |  #23

If you consider all the imaging sensors on the market today (regardless if it's Canon, Nikon or Sony), what else would you like to see optimized for stills photography? What features are missing?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 08, 2014 10:15 |  #24

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17319602 (external link)
First is the 70D (which Gave me troubles before) and now the 7Dii. What I see in common is the new DUAL AF SYSTEM of both bodies. Thoughts?

The dual AF systems only come into play with live view and movie mode, when the sensor is being used to AF. AF through the viewfinder goes through a completely different AF hardware set.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

DanC.Licks
229 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2014 11:27 |  #25

It is not a question of features being added, but whether the necessary compromises are detrimental to still image IQ. Just a thought and I know it will never happen. Just a mater of time before they add a smartphone and a TV to a DSLR.;-)a

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 08, 2014 12:52 as a reply to  @ DanC.Licks's post |  #26

What has been compromised? I think most would agree that sensors today are better than those 5 years ago prior to video capabilities being introduced.

Julian

DanC.Licks
229 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2014 13:19 |  #27

Did I say they weren't better? Perhaps they could be better still...
In the case of the E-M1 a certain amount of the sensor's real estate was "sacrificed" to be used for the focusing system for 4/3 lenses that were all made for the E series DSLRs, and didn't work for beaqns on the E-M5. They work now, more or less, some better than others, but at what price? Could be the reason the E-M1 is slightly noisier than the older E-M5. So the question is, could sensors be still better if they didn't have to also do video? I don't know, but it is worth thinking about.

tshred
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 08, 2014 17:30 |  #28

One with 7D, one with 7DII. Anyone hazard a guess which is which? It doesn't seem to be a big difference to me, but I am encouraged that the 7DII does not look worse (or much worse?) in this light, with the 100-400L lens. Now I really need to learn how to shoot futbol/soccer indoors, in poor lighting conditions. I think I will keep the camera, but still there's at least time left to test, test, test.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tom C. | 7D | 7D MkII |Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L, Σ 30 1.4, 85 1.8, railroad tracks and cornfields
Image Editing OK

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 08, 2014 20:15 |  #29

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17320357 (external link)
The dual AF systems only come into play with live view and movie mode, when the sensor is being used to AF. AF through the viewfinder goes through a completely different AF hardware set.

Yaps, I am aware of that fact. The only thing that bothers me is, why 70d and 7dii came out with faulty ones (not sure with the 7dii yet though). The 6d and 5d3 were flawless when they were introduced and no big changes with their af system was done. The latest units came with upgraded af system and it is clear that some, only some, are having problems. I don't know, but I think Canon needs to re assess their latest eos bodies. 70d and 7dii in particular.

tshred
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 08, 2014 20:53 |  #30

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17321551 (external link)
Yaps, I am aware of that fact. The only thing that bothers me is, why 70d and 7dii came out with faulty ones (not sure with the 7dii yet though). The 6d and 5d3 were flawless when they were introduced and no big changes with their af system was done. The latest units came with upgraded af system and it is clear that some, only some, are having problems. I don't know, but I think Canon needs to re assess their latest eos bodies. 70d and 7dii in particular.

I started this thread to hear others' assessments of their 7D vs. 7DII image quality. If anyone else has a thought to add to that topic it'd be appreciated. Otherwise, let the ramble and/or thread death begin!!

Tom C. | 7D | 7D MkII |Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L, Σ 30 1.4, 85 1.8, railroad tracks and cornfields
Image Editing OK

sponsored links

18,592 views & 5 likes for this thread
7D vs. 7D Mark II IQ
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.