Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Nov 2014 (Saturday) 07:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D from 400d Upgrade Lens Question

jpeacock91
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Nov 29, 2014 07:40 |  #1

Hi, Im upgrading from a 400d to 70d. I noticed that the 70D came with a EF-S IS STM lens, while my 400D has a EF-S already. What is the difference between them? would it be worth keeping the lens from my 400D and just buying the 70D body?

Cheers!

sponsored links
iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 29, 2014 07:48 |  #2

I think the 70d can come with a couple different lenses, so could you tell us which lens you are looking at?

From there, the question is really about which lens do you want or need. Commonly, several lenses are in a photog's kit for different applications. This might include a standard range zoom of 17-55mm, 24-70, or 24-105 as a few examples. Then a long lens, commonly a 70-300 or 70-200.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

thecarfilmer
138 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 29, 2014 17:29 |  #3

EF-S is the type of lens mount for crop sensor cameras. what lens is the one you have with the 400d? im assuming the 18-55? id get the 70d kit with the 18-135 STM lens. its a nice sharp lens with plenty of zooming distance for taking pictures of anything.

jpeacock91 wrote in post #17299118 (external link)
Hi, Im upgrading from a 400d to 70d. I noticed that the 70D came with a EF-S IS STM lens, while my 400D has a EF-S already. What is the difference between them? would it be worth keeping the lens from my 400D and just buying the 70D body?

Cheers!

Canon 6D, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM, Canon 70-200 f/4L

parlor
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 29, 2014 17:47 |  #4

I recently went through this but I went from a 300D to a 70D. Everyone kept telling me to save the money on the body and get a some better glass first. I was lucky that my budget stretched to the 70D and the EFS 17-55 2.8 IS.

Plus my 300D was completely dead.

The new STM lenses will be much sharper than your old kit lens though so it depends mostly on your budget.

mike_ripple
35 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 05, 2014 20:51 |  #5

If you're currently using the 18-55mm kit lens, it will work, but there are better lenses out there. The newer STM lens has a different autofocus system. It is quieter, smoother, and said to be sharper as well being a newer lens design. Other lenses to consider if you are upgrading would be the 15-85mm and the 17-55mm.

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 08, 2014 08:03 |  #6

17-55 will be a great choice but if you are considering to get a full frame body in the future, EF lenses (better if red rings) are my suggestions. that will depend on what ranges would you need.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,003 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2014 19:40 |  #7

One thing to consider is that the STM lenses are optimised for use with the 7DII/70D/700D using AF while in video mode. This makes them much better for general video use along with the Dual Pixel Af capability of the body. Although other lenses will also be able to AF during video, they are generally not as efficient, and are much noisier. I would consider getting an STM lens if you have the plain old basic 15-55 kit lens. The new lenses have IS as well also something that can be very useful. The other better quality EF-s mount lenses are also worth looking at as an upgrade, but I would probably go with an STM lens if I had any inclination to do video work using AF.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,835 views & 0 likes for this thread
70D from 400d Upgrade Lens Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.