Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 23:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

full frame to 4/3

RGNY
101 posts
Joined May 2014

Dec 01, 2014 23:54 |  #1

Has anyone made the switch and going to stay with it?

sponsored links
John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by John_N.

Dec 02, 2014 01:07 |  #2

Well, so far I've gone 5DIII to OM-D E-M10 and will almost certainly stick with it.

Obviously I don't get the DoF I love with the 135L, or the AF speed of the 400L, but for day to day its just as good and considerably smaller.
Worth noting that those shortcomings may be overcome on the FF mirrorless offerings, but from what I've read the AF is too slow on those systems.

I have found (at least on mine) that CAF is poor, but SAF oddly makes up for it - I can just tap the screen and get a clear in focus shot of my daughter bezzing along on her scooter straight toward the camera.

All of my recent shots on the family flickr were taken with the E-M10

flickr (external link) (magsnorton)
: Google+ (external link) : My Site (external link) : 5oopx (external link)

DanC.Licks
229 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by DanC.Licks. (3 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2014 01:34 |  #3

I bought a 5DII and an E-M1 in the winter to try them both out and decide before the birding season began in the spring. I shoot 95% with a Canon 400/5.6 and a high grade 600mm/6.3 astro telescope, both wide open and MF, naturally. I spent many hours testing, both with charts and test setups, and with real world situations. I sold the 5DII two months later, and in spite of some drawbacks, have stuck with the E-M1 and get fantastic results from both lenses, as well as from my various 4/3 lenses and a 75-300mF/T lens I bought for travel. Here are a few of samples:

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3774/12921010563_f3c4d311fa_c.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/12921318314_8ef640478d_c.jpg
Distance, about 30 meters. Same position, same lens, and same settings. No sharpening or NR.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5564/14697122688_d5406a7806_b.jpg
click to enlarge: https://farm6.staticfl​ickr.com …97122688_7a887d​3dc4_o.jpg (external link)
IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3848/14883390322_78e215c088_o.jpg
E-M1 with Canon 400/5.6L USM through double window!

With the advent of the 7DII I am having to think it all over again. AF would be nice, but the E-M1 is for sure better to use with my scope, so a switch would also entail a 500mm or 600mm Big White Monster, or perhaps the new Sigma 150-600S. something to think about on our LONG winter nights...

cdmicha
72 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 02, 2014 06:21 |  #4

RGNY wrote in post #17303370 (external link)

When I first got into 4/3 gear, I was very tempted to completely switch- but what ended up happening instead was I slimmed out my dSLR gear to the "basics" and now have a decent kit for both systems. Occasionally I still ponder doing this, but my major hang up right now is the high ISO performance in video (and to a lesser extend images). There are times that I'm shooting video at 6400 ISO and at those kinds of ISOs a FF camera is just better. Its also hard for me to give up the convenience of thin DoF with a zoom lens.

The irony isn't lost on me that perhaps one of the best consumer video cameras (GH4) is 4/3 and video is what prevents me from jumping completely in.

Chris
6D/70D/E-M5

nebulight
247 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 02, 2014 06:39 |  #5

I went from a 50d to a em-5 when it was first released. I loved the weight, but there was something about the image quality that wasn't there for me. I wasn't liking the photos I was getting. Sold the em-5 and went to a 6d. I'm loving the results but I miss the weight ;)

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 02, 2014 12:10 |  #6

I bought (and still have) an E-M5 to try out m43. I was convinced that I would sell my Canon gear and switch to m43. I wanted the lighter system to use while backpacking. Carrying heavy camera equipment is not an option on most of my trips. Unfortunately the auto focus is not anywhere as good as a DSLR (even when compared to the 5D's). When I first bought the camera I took it to the dog park just to try it out. I was only able to focus on a running dog once or twice. The camera itself is built very well, better than the current xxD offerings by Canon.

I've read that the E-M1 is much better in focusing, but I've never used one.

John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 02, 2014 14:16 |  #7

st3mpy wrote in post #17305096 (external link)
I bought (and still have) an E-M5 to try out m43. I was convinced that I would sell my Canon gear and switch to m43. I wanted the lighter system to use while backpacking. Carrying heavy camera equipment is not an option on most of my trips. Unfortunately the auto focus is not anywhere as good as a DSLR (even when compared to the 5D's). When I first bought the camera I took it to the dog park just to try it out. I was only able to focus on a running dog once or twice. The camera itself is built very well, better than the current xxD offerings by Canon.

I've read that the E-M1 is much better in focusing, but I've never used one.

You didn't make the same mistake I did at first did you - using continuous focus? I know its counter intuitive and totally the opposite of everything you'll have learnt with Canon but you'll get much better results with single shot than continuous (which truly is rubbish!)

flickr (external link) (magsnorton)
: Google+ (external link) : My Site (external link) : 5oopx (external link)

HAKIM ­ 82
80 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 02, 2014 14:33 |  #8

I am working with a Fuji X-Pro 1 and Canon 5D Mark3 . They both have their places in my gear bag. My street stuff is served well with the Fuji.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 02, 2014 14:38 |  #9

I have added a OM-D E-M1 to my kit and I've decided that I'll be sticking with both Micro Four Thirds and a slimmed down DSLR setup as well. They are both fantastic systems each with their own advantages over the other. This being said I can foresee the E-M1 getting more use than my Canon gear due to the ease of portability. It is an attribute that is becoming harder to overlook. Regarding the above comments about getting action/moving shots I agree that the continuous AF tracking leaves much to be desired but I've gotten around it by using the touch display set up for on shot focus. I simply follow the action and click away with my finger to take shots. This method often gets me as many keepers as the sometimes finicky Ai Servo on the 5D3.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

britinjapan
224 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 02, 2014 15:37 |  #10

I went to an OMD while keeping my D700, enjoyed iy very much, but found small reliability and servicing issues to be sub standard (exposure problem had to be fixed). I eventually traded it in, bought a Df, and recently a 6D, back to DSLRs. The photos of the OMD are good, but lacking something compared to the big boys.

Canon 6D, 35mm F2 IS, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 135mm F2L, 24-70 F4L, Tokyo, Japan

DanC.Licks
229 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 05, 2014 02:45 |  #11

In German, but the pictures speak for themselves and there is always Google Translate:-P

http://www.meisterdesl​ichts.com/Von_Canon_zu​_Olympus.pdf (external link)

Basically the guy got tired of the weight. Seems to know what he is doing, at any rate!

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 05, 2014 06:45 |  #12

It works for some people. I had an OM-D for a while and loved it as a supplemental camera, but I don’t think I could ever replace my DSLR setup.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 08, 2014 08:31 |  #13

John_N wrote in post #17305563 (external link)
You didn't make the same mistake I did at first did you - using continuous focus? I know its counter intuitive and totally the opposite of everything you'll have learnt with Canon but you'll get much better results with single shot than continuous (which truly is rubbish!)

I'll have to take it out for a spin again. TBH I haven't been using it since I had the plans to sell it and didn't want to get attached to it!

nma
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 08, 2014 20:59 |  #14

RGNY wrote in post #17303370 (external link)

Made the switch. Very satisfied. Who knows the future?

You, the OP, should tell us what you shoot. I am using and OMD-EM1 with the 12-40 Pro zoom and the Pany 35-100. These lenses in combination with the sensor on the EM1 far outshine my 5DII, with the 24-105 L and the 70-200 L lenses. It is not even a close call. But this has to be put into perspective: I am not doing little children on the run, or other wildlife. The stationary auto and manual focus is superior (much) to the 5DII. The E-M1 is weather sealed and rugged. The touch screen is great advantage in the field. It's a complicated beast to master but great fun to use.

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 09, 2014 13:45 |  #15

i shoot with both the OMD EM-1 and The Canon 1dx... the OMD is my second favorite camera i've ever owned.........

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,014 views & 2 likes for this thread
full frame to 4/3
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.