Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Dec 2014 (Monday) 08:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for feedback on Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

alexvtr
49 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 08, 2014 08:05 |  #1

No review in the gear section... not much on the various blogs / photo sites...
I'm interested in "real life" impressions of this new lens.
I'm especially looking for comparisons with other cheap primes of roughly the same focal length (24, 28, 30, 35 mm).
Pancakes are very interesting for their compact size, but I'm not so sure about the lens being "only" a 2.8 (versus most of the comparable at least 2.0).
What do you think?

sponsored links
solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 08, 2014 08:15 |  #2

alexvtr wrote in post #17320133 (external link)
No review in the gear section... not much on the various blogs / photo sites...
I'm interested in "real life" impressions of this new lens.
I'm especially looking for comparisons with other cheap primes of roughly the same focal length (24, 28, 30, 35 mm).
Pancakes are very interesting for their compact size, but I'm not so sure about the lens being "only" a 2.8 (versus most of the comparable at least 2.0).
What do you think?

I don't own the 24 pancake yet but I do own its longer brother the 40mm F2.8 pancake and have been contemplating getting the 24 for a while. Only downsides I have found to it are that it is "only" F2.8 and that it wont work on full frame like the 40mm will. So if you find yourself shooting in low light a lot you might go for one of the F1.4 or F1.8 options for the extra stop or so of light and if you need crossover to full frame this wont work for you. Otherwise the build quality and optics are supposed to be on par with the 40mm, which is to say very good for the price.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

alexvtr
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 08, 2014 08:26 |  #3

Thank you. I hope some people can add more "hands on" reviews and even some samples!

randujar33
86 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Dec 08, 2014 10:00 as a reply to  @ alexvtr's post |  #4

I also own the 40mm F2.8 pancake and have been waiting for "real world" hands on. I did find this thread for the new 24mm f2.8 pancake https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1407​050&page=1 , although the post count is low since it just recently came out. Unfortunately I have to wait till christmas to unwrap my copy.

LARAB
73 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 08, 2014 10:04 |  #5

There are a few samples here: https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1407​050&page=1

The thread title lacks the ef-s designation, makes it a bit harder to find.

There are a few on Flickr, mine included: http://www.flickriver.​com …tags/EFS24mm/in​teresting/ (external link)

I bought this lens a week or so ago and am enjoying it. Perfect focal length for general use and sharp enough. It has a bit less pop than the 40 but that may just be due to crappy weather here. For the $$ I don't think you can go wrong.

-Brian

alexvtr
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 08, 2014 13:47 |  #6

LARAB wrote in post #17320333 (external link)
There are a few samples here: https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1407​050&page=1

The thread title lacks the ef-s designation, makes it a bit harder to find.

There are a few on Flickr, mine included: http://www.flickriver.​com …tags/EFS24mm/in​teresting/ (external link)

I bought this lens a week or so ago and am enjoying it. Perfect focal length for general use and sharp enough. It has a bit less pop than the 40 but that may just be due to crappy weather here. For the $$ I don't think you can go wrong.

-Brian

Thanks Brian!
Looks pretty good.
Very tempted now! :-)

jmai86
153 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Post edited over 6 years ago by jmai86. (2 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2014 17:37 |  #7

I bought one last week, to use on an SL1 that I also bought. The package is so compact and light, it really makes p&s cameras obsolete and compact mirrorless cameras sort of useless for me. I spent $450 on body and lens (refurb SL1 deal last week). The x100's of the world are great, but there's still no touching DSLR in terms of feel (IQ and physically) for me, personally.

It's sharp, it's light, it's cheap. Perfect for casual use, or for when you don't want to lug big L's around. Get one, you'll dig it.

The only knock I have against it is the 2.8, it's very difficult to get subject isolation in a 24mm 2.8. But, that's what my other glass is for. :D

alexvtr
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 08, 2014 20:46 |  #8

jmai86 wrote in post #17321272 (external link)
The only knock I have against it is the 2.8, it's very difficult to get subject isolation in a 24mm 2.8. But, that's what my other glass is for. :D

Very good point... thanks for your input.

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Dec 15, 2014 15:34 |  #9

After shooting with the 40/2.8, I had no fears about shooting with the 24/2.8. I got mine thus afternoon. I had given my 28/1.8, 50/1.8, and 55-250 to my grand-daughter as an early xmas gift. She has a canon, but only the 18-55 kit lens. A few months back I lent her my camera to shoot around my acreage while she was visiting ... she has a very artistic eye - and got some great shots.

With the 40, I found that when shooting outside I usually had enough light so no problem. Inside I usually jacked up my ISO and enhanced lighting in editing. Of course, when using flash there's no problem.

I'm looking forward to shooting my 24.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

RAH1861
330 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by RAH1861.

Dec 17, 2014 08:27 |  #10

Christopher Cross has a good YouTube review of it here:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=GszKAxnDLsU (external link)

(He likes it). He is one of my favorite reviewers on YouTube and I think his opinions are trustworthy.

I bought the lens myself about a week ago and have used it once. I only used it to photograph a document (a map) at a museum I volunteer at. Very useful for shooting with a tripod, straight down at such things (good focal length on a crop body). It seems to be very sharp and I got excellent results.

To me the lens is kind of a no-brainer. It is a good focal length for many uses, a tiny lens for potential travel use (especially with an SL1), and very inexpensive.

Rich
Canon 80D; 60D; SL1; Canon 60mm; Canon 400mm f5.6L; Canon 1.4 II teleconverter; Canon 10-18 STM; Canon 55-250 STM; Tokina 12-24; Sigma 17-50; Sigma 17-70; Sigma 18-250; Bower 35mm; Tamron 70-300; Pro-Optic 8mm fisheye

sponsored links

4,030 views & 1 like for this thread
Looking for feedback on Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.