Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 04 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 23:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN changed for the worse (or has it, really?)

this thread is locked
dropmyload
642 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined May 2011

Dec 08, 2014 04:59 |  #16

It has changed for sure, and it does take some getting used to. Haven't tried it on my phone or ipad yet, but working fine on my pc.

In fact, have started browsing many new threads while trying to discover how it works.

Maybe a slightly darker theme would be nicer, but I can wait.

Keep it up!

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400L, EF 50 II
Fuji X-T20, 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 12/2
Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5
Yongnuo 468II, 565 EX & some 622C
My Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by drvnbysound. (2 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2014 07:29 |  #17

JM Photos wrote in post #17319851 (external link)
If you are coming here for the first time since the update, you need to visit the threads here: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17308548 and educate yourself before making quick judgements. Don't be so hard on someone who spent the last 5 years building this update. The improvement and added features blows the old vBulletin style out of the water.

I've been here almost the whole time since the update, provided some feedback, and received replies in most cases. I'll say that AMASS has slightly grown on me (I mean, I'm still here), but I'm not going out to any of my friends about it. Heck, it was a local friend who introduced me to the site and I haven't bothered to ask if he's seen it yet.

You can spend the next 10 years trying to become a plastic surgeon, you may even do some work, but the chances of it looking good... not so much. The amount of time spent doing something is irrelevant if it's no good. If my wife got a boob job and it looked like crap, do you think I would care about the number of years it took the surgeon to get his degree and to be able to practice? Pfftt!! Similarly, this was an elective procedure. I get it, some people like it. I also get that some people don't. So, for those who don't... I'd guess that they really don't care how much time was spent, because they see a product that they do not like. They don't care if it took 5 months or 5 years - to them, maybe it should have waited another 5 years.

You say that the improvement (arguable) and added features blow the vBulletin style out of the water. I'll disagree on both accounts, because the features and style are completely separate to me. If I separate them, I'll say that I still prefer the vBulletin style (colors, font, design) better than the current AMASS - even though AMASS does appear more modern. Now, the features of AMASS... better to who? Does the 179MPH top track speed of a Porsche 911 benefit someone who lives and only drives on rural dirt roads? If I don't use any of the new features AMASS provides, they simply add no value to me. There will be someone who can/will argue about style, features, and improvements because they are subjective. The only thing I can say for certain is that AMASS is different ;)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,527 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2014 07:32 as a reply to  @ drvnbysound's post |  #18

Better at least to the poll repliers by a large margin. There are at least 2 threads of people commenting on all the new features they really love. There is a very long list of extra items that are great, but there is also an equally long list of things that need tweaked or reworked a bit. Pekka is aware of those and has a nice set of changes in the works as we speak. This means one list stays quite long and might grow, and the other list will shrink.

In fact 2 of your complaints on look are high priority items currently, font and colors.

Based on the polls and replies in all the different Lounge and AMASS threads, I believe a wide margin over 50% love this forum and the extras.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,435 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 08, 2014 10:56 |  #19

drvnbysound wrote in post #17320085 (external link)
I get it, some people like it. I also get that some people don't. So, for those who don't... I'd guess that they really don't care how much time was spent, because they see a product that they do not like. They don't care if it took 5 months or 5 years - to them, maybe it should have waited another 5 years.

All true. No one's saying that it follows from the five years in development that each user is required to like the product. What follows from the five years is that users who don't like the product can at least say so nicely and make constructive suggestions, or remain silent, instead of insulting the developer. Five years or five days, it doesn't matter--you don't spit on what someone made. Some of us are simply pleading for kindness.

Now, the features of AMASS... better to who? Does the 179MPH top track speed of a Porsche 911 benefit someone who lives and only drives on rural dirt roads? If I don't use any of the new features AMASS provides, they simply add no value to me.

It goes without saying (well, it won't this time) that users have diverse sets of preferences. Many people asked for a Like button; now that it's there, some won't use it at all. Similarly with functionality on phones. Some members enthusiastically fill up their galleries; others leave them empty. Some take a great interest in the mechanics of following/subscribing to threads; this is something I personally don't care about. AMASS! serves a mixed audience by taking a cafeteria approach. You have options. If you want two beverages and no dessert, you can do that. Threads in Software Talk show that Pekka is considering adding more ways to customize your features.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,597 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 08, 2014 10:58 |  #20

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17319905 (external link)
I'm sitting in my car, prior to work, reading POTN on my iPhone 4S. No issues here.

The only constant in life is change.

You mean the only things constant in life are death and taxes...

SmugMug (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 08, 2014 11:11 |  #21

The improvement and added features blows the old vBulletin style out of the water.

I wouldn't go to that extreme. vBulletin required nothing else and functioned fine. You can post images. You could auto-resize them if they were posted too large (but that wasn't enabled apparently).....what does this forum do that was needed over vBulletin? It's slower and offers nothing new that would be needed.

Gear List

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 08, 2014 11:13 |  #22

Lyn2011 wrote in post #17319900 (external link)
It took me a very short time to get used to the new forum system, and I like it. For me it works very good, more efficient. Posting a photo is easier and going to updates in subscribed threads is quicker, it takes me immediately to the latest unread post in a thread.

I don't see how posting a photo is any easier. And vBulletin would take you to the last unread as well, you just have to click the icon for it and you're there.

Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,527 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 08, 2014 12:38 |  #23

Numenorean wrote in post #17320484 (external link)
I wouldn't go to that extreme. vBulletin required nothing else and functioned fine. You can post images. You could auto-resize them if they were posted too large (but that wasn't enabled apparently).....what does this forum do that was needed over vBulletin? It's slower and offers nothing new that would be needed.

That was your view as a user, not as an owner, moderator, or site admin. You also don't know what all the other users were asking for. You don't know what was going on behind the scenes in keeping things running. Your perspective is exactly that, your perspective.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,527 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 08, 2014 12:40 |  #24

Numenorean wrote in post #17320488 (external link)
I don't see how posting a photo is any easier. And vBulletin would take you to the last unread as well, you just have to click the icon for it and you're there.

The fact that you didn't have to resize your images to 1024 on the longest side, and keep the photos below 150kb, as well as the fact that VBulletin compressed the images even more making them even uglier than the resize and compressions you already just performed. Now you just find your file and viola, it takes it. Uploading images so they can embedded are much better than before. Externally hosted images are about the same, just paste the URL, fetch, and as you type up your message, just click the photo into your post where you want it. Not better, worst, etc. Now the gallery tags/exif additions are nice, and have value, especially when you want to see pics from a lens or body quickly, then read user reviews.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,435 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 08, 2014 12:42 |  #25

Numenorean wrote in post #17320484 (external link)
what does this forum do that was needed over vBulletin? It's slower

Really? It's faster at my end. Waiting for Google ads used to hang up my downloads. I think something else also slowed downloads, but I don't know what. My browser hasn't changed.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,527 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 08, 2014 12:49 |  #26

Much faster here too, other than the indexed searches. It is at least as fast as the old.

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,614 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 08, 2014 12:57 |  #27

battletone wrote in post #17313132 (external link)
As impressive as that is, it still needs a ton of work to function on an IPhone efficiently, and it would be nice to streamline all the useless info from being so prominent. Ie the quote doesn't just show the name it has the post number. Who cares about that. Make it a link with a small icon don't include it at all. That's just one small thing, but that stuff is all over and it all adds up quickly. Sometimes less is more and simplicity is better.

It runs beautifully on both my original iPad, my iPad4 and my iPhone4 and my iPhone6
I never used the previous iteration of POTN on any mobile devices due to the unreadablity for me...
I know others did, but it never worked for me until AMASS/

joayne Contribute to POTN | Where's Nifty?! #2 |Nifty Sign Up List| Worldwide Photo Week

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 08, 2014 13:00 |  #28

.....The improvement and added features blows the old vBulletin style out of the water.

I agree!

—Eric

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 08, 2014 13:28 |  #29

One thing I just noticed is that AMASS plays very nicely with a global script blocker program I use (and sort of hate, yet love. it's complicated.). Every other forum I visit requires multiple permissions be granted to function properly, but AMASS hasn't required any of that. I don't know what any of that means, but it has made my browsing a more pleasant experience.

Neil

flowrider
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 08, 2014 13:31 |  #30

Perhaps Pekka could make it a pay site so he can develop full time? I don't think that people get that he developed this whole thing from the ground up on his own dime.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links

23,038 views & 89 likes for this thread
POTN changed for the worse (or has it, really?)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.