Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 05 Dec 2014 (Friday) 10:34
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Please choose one that best describes your sentiment"
I liked the old POTN which was a Canon centric forum.
2.8%
I liked the old Canon centric POTN and a few new features would have been welcomed but sufficient.
5.1%
I hate the new POTN and wish we had any form of the old POTN back.
14%
I like the new POTN but wish it were still a Canon centric forum.
10.3%
I like the new POTN, which isn’t a Canon centric forum
67.8%

214 voters, 214 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Old POTN -vs- New POTN, Poll

this thread is locked
drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 07, 2014 12:59 |  #61

Hmm. I wasn't even planning to use the new gear listing feature... maybe one day.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,872 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Dec 07, 2014 13:16 |  #62

Jon wrote in post #17318436 (external link)
Yes, for several reasons. First, to make sure that everyone's 35 mm f/2 is called the same thing so potential buyers will be able to find all that are now, or have been, offered. Second - if you've added photos taken with the lens or camera you're selling to your Gallery, potential customers will be able to see more sample photos. And third - you'll have provided more evidence that that you actually own the item (not perfect, but at least it forces people to commit to it).

Jon,
It needs to be pointed out that restricting For Sale items to gear which is listed in some 'master database' is inherently fraught with problems. Some examples...What if I wanted to sell any of these which I own (or once did) and none of which I can input into my own Gear List, and which could be used by anyone?...

• Bogen 3221 tripod

• Linhof Profi II ballhead

• Slik Pistol Grip AF2100

• Metz 45CL4 (not the 45CL4 Digital model!)

• Tamron 28-200 Adaptall lens

• Lightroom 3

• Tenba Air Case 1620

I'd have to sell it on Fred Miranda!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,794 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 5 years ago by Pekka. (2 edits in all)

Dec 07, 2014 13:37 |  #63

Jon wrote in post #17318436 (external link)
Yes, for several reasons. First, to make sure that everyone's 35 mm f/2 is called the same thing so potential buyers will be able to find all that are now, or have been, offered. Second - if you've added photos taken with the lens or camera you're selling to your Gallery, potential customers will be able to see more sample photos. And third - you'll have provided more evidence that that you actually own the item (not perfect, but at least it forces people to commit to it).

And because items for sale is referenced by database and not arbitrary like "my mom's 35 something", features like alerts when specific gear for sale are easy to do, and they are reliable.

Or how about making a for sale alert for "any 50mm lens that is black, weights less than 300 grams and has an EF mount".

I can tell you there is much under the hood here that can not be seen now but enables us adding features that really are powerful and cool.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 07, 2014 13:37 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #64

The gear list is a living thing; there's even a thread for proposed additions. I'm sure there will be some way of selling items that aren't on the list, eventually. I just don't recall all the specifics of what Pekka has planned for it.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,872 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 07, 2014 13:58 |  #65

I understand the reason for Why (better search results). But then we also have the situation of 'compound' searches like this one currently posted...

"Markins Q20 ballhead with RRS B2 LR II lever release clamp"

vs. Markins Q20 ballhead with Markins lever lock clamp

vs. Markins M20 ballhead with Markins screw lock clamp.

...to deal with.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,794 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 07, 2014 14:08 |  #66

Wilt wrote in post #17318610 (external link)
I understand the reason for Why (better search results). But then we also have the situation of 'compound' searches like this one currently posted...

"Markins Q20 ballhead with RRS B2 LR II lever release clamp"

vs. Markins Q20 ballhead with Markins lever lock clamp

vs. Markins M20 ballhead with Markins screw lock clamp.

...to deal with.

Like with any search, try "Markins M20" first and then alter the parameters to get what you want. A search can be clever but it can not do miracles.

This might help, too: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17318549

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Thorsten
183 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Dec 08, 2014 11:32 |  #67

I registered here when I switched to Canon earlier this year, but I was a little disappointed at the antiquated forum software. Luckily it didn't last long! The new software is slick and such a joy to use. Thank you Pekka!

Thorsten (external link)
Canon 5D3, 24 IS, 35L, 50/1.8 STM, 85/1.8, 100L, 135L, 200/2.8L, 400/5.6L, 16-35/4L, 24-70/4L, 70-200/4L IS, Rokinon 12/2.8

iShootSports
56 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 08, 2014 11:57 |  #68

I like it being "canon" centric, if I want to know about others I would go to that "brand" centrick site.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 08, 2014 12:04 |  #69

Thorsten wrote in post #17320541 (external link)
I registered here when I switched to Canon earlier this year, but I was a little disappointed at the antiquated forum software. Luckily it didn't last long! The new software is slick and such a joy to use. Thank you Pekka!

Super great!:-D

Mark

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 08, 2014 12:12 |  #70

iShootSports wrote in post #17320582 (external link)
I like it being "canon" centric, if I want to know about others I would go to that "brand" centrick site.

Just set it up the way you like with filters!

IMAGE: http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/dougle/POTN/POTN_ForumFiltering.jpg
Poof! back to all Canon!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 08, 2014 12:23 |  #71

As someone who has been on POTN for a while I like the fresh new site. I was 100% satisfied with the "old" POTN but certainly can adapt to this new site. I appreciate the community and am looking forward to exploring the new POTN!

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by Ralph III. (6 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2014 20:03 as a reply to  @ post 17316434 |  #72

quote by TeamSpeed... "....With the upcoming changes, this forum can be just Canon for those that want it to be, and just Nikon for the others, etc..."

That's an admission many folks will have to "tweak" the forum, which is occurring now, in order for them to enjoy it.

As others have stated, there is no way of fully tweaking it as you suggest because there are to many "common" and "general" categories. As those categories become cluttered with multi-brand gear and talk which is irrelevant to others, the amount of frustration will grow. You'll end up seeing less participation by many and then exodus. It's no longer a Canon dedicated website which was the appeal!

quote by TeamSpeed..."I project we will lose about 5% of the membership over the next 3 months. However, with the continuing improvements and enhancements, word will get out, and that 5% loss will be mitigated with a 15% gain in membership. These are just my opinions, but let's see what happens."

I completely agree membership will likely increase in the short run BUT it won't be from dedicated Canon users! In addition, you're not going to get the influx of new members as you think, IMO.

1) People aren't going to leave dedicated Nikon or Fuji websites to join what is now a general purpose photography website with limited Nikon and Fuji threads.

2) People aren't going to leave a general purpose photography website, where they have history, to join another general purpose photography website.

In the short run membership will most likely increase as new non-Canon users sign up and dedicated Canon users hold on; however, as the site continues to become cluttered the numbers will flip permanently at some point. You'll continue to get some fly-by-night members but your going to lose long time and established Canon members. It's participation and quality that will be lost...

quote by TeamSpeed..."Momentum has already started to occur with people acclimating and actually liking all the new features..."

No, if you look at the POLL results you'll see momentum is actually shifting the other direction in every aspect.

1) The number of people who essentially "dislike" AMASS is now up to 17%.

2) The number who like the new POTN but wish it had stayed "Canon centric" is now up to 10%. POTN is going to lose the majority of those folks as soon as another dedicated Canon website is created and as this website continues to become cluttered! Combined, that's roughly 27% who have real issues with the new POTN.

3) The number of people who like the new POTN overall is down to 73%.

quote by TeamSpeed..."Also another assumption you made that was grossly incorrect is that this is a business...."

Uh, that was simply an example used to make a point. I never said this was a business.

quote by TeamSpeed..."If you had researched Chet and his background, you would have known immediately what that poll was for. It was meant to be fun and light hearted to offset some of the very rude comments made by a number of folks..."

BINGO! I noted it was tongue and cheek but it was written in such a way as to render more positive numbers for AMASS. You've also just admitted it was a bogus POLL. So why did you challenge me when I commented it was a bogus POLL?

quote by TeamSpeed..."We will just have to agree to disagree with you. You can also call me ignorant all you want, that is something you have to ultimately answer to, and not to me...."

It's all good TeamSpeed. I'm not criticizing just to criticize but because I think, minus some real changes, this is not a good move for the website which has long been my favorite. I think a minor facelift of the old POTN would have been a significantly better move!

Lastly. It was you who first questioned my integrity and motive. So remember that proverbial log before you go after the spec. I didn't call you stupid but only ignorant in regards to the POLL. As we say in the South, you can fix ignorant but you can't fix stupid...;-)a

Take care,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,191 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 08, 2014 20:15 |  #73

the only option on the poll that has a "dislike" for the new format is the third...the first two options aren't anything about disliking the new format...therefore the percentage that dislikes AMASS is 11%

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,145 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2014 20:48 |  #74

Here in the North, we know how to fix ignorant. Thanks to Pekka's options under a member's home page, that is how we fix that. And again, you fail to read the results correctly, from your own poll. Finally, it doesn't matter if you like a Canon centric forum, it was Pekka's vision for a LONG time that this become more than a Canon site. You might as well give it up, it isn't going to change. The majority of us have already adjusted POTN to be slanted as much Canon as it was before, with some pollination of the other brands, again like before. Good luck in your future endeavors, polls or otherwise. ;)

27 vs 129 so far that do not like the new POTN after 1 week. This will change over time to a smaller number. The typical 80/20 rule applies here like about anything else. 80% acceptance rates for a brand-new site is quite, quite good in the IT world.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by Ralph III. (13 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2014 20:53 |  #75

DreDaze wrote in post #17321550 (external link)
the only option on the poll that has a "dislike" for the new format is the third...the first two options aren't anything about disliking the new format...therefore the percentage that dislikes AMASS is 11%

No, No. You couldn't have misread that any more than if you tried. The first two options are the same as the third option with the exception, those who posted in the third option are very animate.

1) Those who voted for the third option are vehemently opposed to the new format and would given anything to have the old POTN back no matter! They feel jilted and aren't afraid to make that known! They "hate" the changes and new POTN as clearly proclaimed.

2) Those who vote for the first two options are opposed to the new format because they clearly say they "liked" the old POTN as opposed to they like the new POTN! There is no other way to read that. Either of those groups could have chosen "I like the new POTN..." or "I like the new POTN but wish it had stayed Canon centric". However, neither of those groups chose any form of "I like the new POTN".

3) Those who chose the fourth option like the new POTN but "object" to it no longer being a Canon centric forum. That is a major factor to consider because this forum used to be Canon centric and why many of those most likely signed up. A percentage will stay but as the forum becomes cluttered with non-Canon relevance I think a higher percentage will eventually leave. Either way, they are showing some discontent with the new POTN.

4) The last choice is the only clear endorsement of the new POTN..

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links

19,685 views & 54 likes for this thread
Old POTN -vs- New POTN, Poll
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.