Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Nov 2014 (Friday) 10:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I sold it all, i'm out.

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,186 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2014 17:53 |  #46

Going mirrorless keeps niggling at the back of my mind too...... Would love it for the size/weight/convenienc​e but my concern is with the IQ or rather DOF/separation/look that I'm used to with FF & fast primes....

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,586 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Dec 08, 2014 17:55 |  #47

jocau wrote in post #17321149 (external link)
Panasonic 50" Plasma TV here since April 2009 (TX-P50V10E). :p As a Nintendo fan, I've always hated the Sony PlayStation 1, but their camera sensors are great. So great that the A7II and A9 are the only cameras I'm considering at the moment (even though the A9 hasn't been announced yet).

By the way... What made you go for the A7R? Also, I thought you were going for the A7S and were going to wait until January/February 2015, so the prices of the A7R/A7S would drop.

I bought it pretty much entirely because of the deal I got on it ($1350). I'm hoping it'll be enough for me to be happy, but if not I'll sell it and pick up an a7S.

Also, Panasonic Plasmas are drool worthy, good choice ;) I went with a Samsung myself because of the deal I got, it's fantastic as well :)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,277 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 08, 2014 17:58 |  #48

LeeRatters wrote in post #17321296 (external link)
Going mirrorless keeps niggling at the back of my mind too...... Would love it for the size/weight/convenienc​e but my concern is with the IQ or rather DOF/separation/look that I'm used to with FF & fast primes....

If ya got bucks have ya thought about Leica M? The 50 .95 Noctilux has bokeh that is smoother that the bokeh from my 200 2L and that is pretty darn smooth.

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 08, 2014 18:02 |  #49

LeeRatters wrote in post #17321296 (external link)

I don't understand the objection. Sony has 4 FF mirrorless bodies on the market right now.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,187 posts
Gallery: 613 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 08, 2014 18:33 |  #50

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17320295 (external link)
I hope you're right, I sold the 6D because I couldn't justify keeping a more expensive camera that rarely got used. We'll find out on Thursday :)

I think you would always use the new camera at first regardless of the model simply because you want to test it out and see what it can do. Hopefully you enjoy it and end up using it more :lol:

jocau wrote in post #17321149 (external link)
As a Nintendo fan, I've always hated the Sony PlayStation 1, but their camera sensors are great. So great that the A7II and A9 are the only cameras I'm considering at the moment (even though the A9 hasn't been announced yet).

I actually like both Nintendo and Sony, I got a PS4 and 3DS (may get a Wii U later down the track). I think we may need to start a video game console thread soon  :p

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 08, 2014 23:42 |  #51

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17321299 (external link)
I bought it pretty much entirely because of the deal I got on it ($1350). I'm hoping it'll be enough for me to be happy, but if not I'll sell it and pick up an a7S.

Also, Panasonic Plasmas are drool worthy, good choice ;) I went with a Samsung myself because of the deal I got, it's fantastic as well :)

I'm wondering if you are going to be satisfied with the A7R, since I've always read that the A7R can't match the high ISO performance of the 6D.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 08, 2014 23:56 |  #52

I just want to say good luck to you, You had to do what you had to do.... Who knows you can come back to the canon world down the road...

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,586 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 09, 2014 00:24 |  #53

jocau wrote in post #17321892 (external link)
I'm wondering if you are going to be satisfied with the A7R, since I've always read that the A7R can't match the high ISO performance of the 6D.

I'm wondering too. I for sure don't expect it to match the 6D, but if it can at least come close or give me useable results at ISO12,800 then I'll probably be happy. Honestly the biggest concern I have is of the shutter noise and the EVF performance in low light. As I said though, worse case scenario I'll resell it and get the a7S ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,186 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 09, 2014 04:15 |  #54

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17321303 (external link)
If ya got bucks have ya thought about Leica M? The 50 .95 Noctilux has bokeh that is smoother that the bokeh from my 200 2L and that is pretty darn smooth.

WhyFi wrote in post #17321309 (external link)
I don't understand the objection. Sony has 4 FF mirrorless bodies on the market right now.

No I don't have the cash. I could only afford whatever my current Canon gear is worth which is about £2k hence it's only thoughts. I priced up the Fuji equivalent [when I think Eddie went Fuji] & it would have been about £3.5k

If I earned good money & had the cash I'd just buy & try it without thinking but things aren't that simple.

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 09, 2014 10:00 |  #55

jocau wrote in post #17321892 (external link)

As an owner of the 5D3 and A7R, I can tell you the Sony Raw file are an very clean and are easier to work with in lightroom overall. There is no nasty chromatic banding when you lift shadow, the noise reduction work generally better. It just great to work with. Now pair the A7r with an metabone adapter and some really good glass (TSE-24mm II) and you get a killer combo. The A7r focus peaking is the best tool ever for manual lenses. What use to take me minutes to focus, takes me seconds. I can work so much faster. I am strongly thinking of selling my 5D3.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

sponsored links

10,700 views & 6 likes for this thread
I sold it all, i'm out.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.