Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I cry or ............

DunRoamin
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by DunRoamin.

Dec 09, 2014 17:44 |  #1

I though it would never happen! I had my 40D laying on top of my camera Cabinet. I keep it up on top of my camera Cabinet so I can grab it Quickly. I had been doing this for years and my cat had never tried to jump up on my camera Cabinet. Then it happened! :mrgreen: My camera Cabinet is about four feet tall. So he jumps grebes the phone cord with one paw and with the other paw he grabs neck strap with the other paw. Needless to say the phone nor the camera were fasted to any thing.

On the cat's way back down to the floor here comes the phone and my Canon 40D down on top of his head! The cat didn't know which way to run. And I didn't know if I should kick or stomp the cat or just Cry. Right at that moment I felt like doing all of the above.

Now that four days have past. My canon 40D doesn't rattle, so no loose parts may it's not broke but as luck would have it, when I put a new battery in it it would not turn on! So what should I do with my eight year old 40D? Throw it away, give it away, get a new camera, or have it fixed (Oh I wonder how much it will cost)?

sponsored links
Gary ­ Wiant
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Gary Wiant.

Dec 09, 2014 17:55 |  #2

If you have the cash I'd get a new camera. Always fun to get new toys.

Gary Wiant
1D mk IV - 1D mkIII - Eos- M - 70-200mm F2.8 IS Mk II - 24-105L f4 - 50 f1.4 - 100 2.8 Macro - M22mm - M18-55 - Canon Ef-Ef-s to M converter - 1.4x VIII & 2x VII extenders - 540EXII Flash, Flash Zebra SF-18 Ext. Battery Pack, Kenko Extension Tubes - Manfroto Macro Bracket - Lensalign Flickr (external link)

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 09, 2014 18:21 |  #3

Can a local camera store look at it?

There's the Canon Loyalty Program option:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=948785

| Canon EOS Systems |

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 09, 2014 18:49 |  #4

Heya,

You could attempt to have it fixed, but it will likely cost as much as a 40D goes for anyways ($250 average).

So really, at this point, you could sell it for parts ($40~60) for someone willing to get it fixed or self-fix.

Or you can just use it for Canon Loyalty Program, and get a new camera (like a solid Refurb, the 60D makes sense here).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 09, 2014 19:03 |  #5

If I were you I would cry a little and then begin looking at other options. The 40D was and is a great camera, mine was stolen so I feel your pain, but they are older and are not worth very much. If you have someone locally that could take a quick look at it it might be repairable but the cost of repair can quickly exceed it's value. If it were me my next option would be to look at the Canon Loyalty Program as mentioned by Blurr Cube. I have purchased 2 refurbished cameras through the program and they were both like new. The other option is to begin looking at new cameras. Whichever route you choose I hope you find just the right camera for you.

Joe
5DIII

DunRoamin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 09, 2014 19:13 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #6

What would be a good replacement for my 40D? I do a lot of wildlife and birds. Oh buy the way the camera had canon 100-400 zoom lens on it. I tried it on my canon 20D. It seemed to work ok except it didn't zoom in and out very good. I don't refurbished stuff, but I may have to change my mind now.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 09, 2014 19:19 |  #7

DunRoamin wrote in post #17323595 (external link)
What would be a good replacement for my 40D? I do a lot of wildlife and birds. Oh buy the way the camera had canon 100-400 zoom lens on it. I tried it on my canon 20D. It seemed to work ok except it didn't zoom in and out very good. I don't refurbished stuff, but I may have to change my mind now.

The replacement camera for you depends on budget.

60D/7D/70D come to mind.

As for your 100-400L, that's definitely worth repairing since a new one costs substantially more than a repair.

Might want to consider pawning the cat. Or changing your storage habits. ;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 09, 2014 19:37 |  #8

Go find a deal on a 60d and enjoy it! I still have my 40d but it doesn't see much use at all. Once I get my x100s I'm not sure it will.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,310 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 09, 2014 19:43 |  #9

Did you check both the CF card door and the battery door to make sure they are closing all the way? If either is even a little ajar, the camera will not power up..

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 10, 2014 04:14 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

My guess is nothing wrong with the camera. Open and close the battery door and CF card door several times with the camera turned on. Any display of life will tell you which one got whacked.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

DanC.Licks
229 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 10, 2014 05:12 |  #11

You sure your cat is not on the Canon payroll?;-)a

Lumens
447 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Lumens. (2 edits in all)

Dec 10, 2014 07:16 |  #12

You mention Birding and Wildlife as what you prefer to do. With the 7DII out the price on the 7DI has came Waaaay down I believe I saw an add at B&H for $625. If you have the money the 7DII would be the tops for Birding and Wildlife, but if you don't have the cash you won't get a better deal than a new 7D at the moment.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

King ­ of ­ Canada
284 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 10, 2014 09:59 |  #13

60Ds sure are going cheap!

You could score a 7D for a great price too. That's a pretty good upgrade.

LincsRP
427 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 10, 2014 10:15 |  #14

More importantly ... how is the cat?

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,210 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 10, 2014 10:20 |  #15

I had a similar drop with a 5DII same symptoms, $250 later I was good to go. Sounds like you should try all the self repairs. Failing that sell it for oarts and graba 60D/7D used.

sponsored links

6,338 views & 1 like for this thread
Should I cry or ............
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.