Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 02 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 07:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where is the normal classifieds??? (Must have 30 posts and 30 day membership to see)

Charles ­ Brown
153 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2014 12:35 |  #196

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17322780 (external link)
It's not perceived safety. If a scammer cannot see any posts, they will go somewhere much easier to scam. The general rule to any buyer or seller here is to make sure somebody has some sort of feedback and history on the boards, so somebody with just 1 post would raise red flags anyways, regardless of your integrity. If you don't want to help others with issues, or even socialize a bit, how do you really convince somebody you are a good honest person buying something?

I wish you luck in selling on FM (pay the $75), or ebay (10%+ in fees) or craigslist driving somewhere to meet them and then deal with the lowball offers that invariably follow. Of your options, this is the lowest cost place, and it only requires a little bit of your time to post in various threads and help others, ask questions, etc. ;)

Good points. It costs money to sell elsewhere. And it is no secret that everyone wants something for nothing.

All Pekka has asked us to do is simply give a little bit of our time participating in this community, before capitalizing on the finely focused market created by this community. I think it is a fair trade.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,154 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 6 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Dec 09, 2014 12:38 |  #197

Guarda wrote in post #17322815 (external link)
My comment was strictly from a buyers stance. A seller could easily check my decade plus eBay feedback and send me a message to confirm identity. I've been buying and selling online since the days of usenet and have had issues with seasoned posters that I've deemed credible/ethical and vice versa. Sellers have the tools/instinct to make a sound decision. Blocking non-interactive buyers from seeing their listings, in my sincerest opinion, is not one of them. There are too many forums and sources of answers in 2014 and I'm far from an authority in any subject to be giving advice. Again, just like many other potential buyers that you are blocking. Cheers, Art

The problem is that scammers operate the same way as a valid buyer that never contributes any posts. They scan the WTB and WTS forums, and then PM individuals offers, and the scam commences. The reasoning is that if scammers cannot see, thus cannot PM, members' buy and sell posts for a period of time and after some socialization, it is impossible to scam anyone during this startup period.

Perhaps we prevent any PMs until this period is met, and you have to conduct business as a series of replies for all to see? That might be a different option. This means however that you won't be able to PM anyone, which could cause other complications.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Charles ­ Brown
153 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2014 13:12 |  #198

I wouldn't like the non PM option. My first three posts on this forum were PMs to individuals (nothing to do with buying or selling anything). Incidentally, all of those individuals responded very cordially, which inspired me to participate more.

With all the resources of knowledge about photography, I don't feel like anything I have to say is "authoritative" either. But there are ways to be helpful, even when asking questions. I've got a couple of questions going on the forums, and various members drop in to help me figure it out. And, as I gather more information about the topic from other resources, I add what I've learned to the topic I started over here. That way, other members of POTN benefit from the aggregation of info on that specific topic, and then Pekka benefits from more website traffic as the web search spiders pick up the keywords, bringing in more searchers who have the same question I did.

That participation seems to me to be a fair "payment" for the privilege of posting in the classifieds here. I'll admit, 100 posts was a little too steep a hill for me to comfortably climb, but 30 posts seems more than reasonable. And I would say this is reasonable even if there was no such thing as scammers.

Obviously, there are plenty of other websites where people can buy and sell camera gear, no community participation required.

Guarda
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Dec 09, 2014 13:41 |  #199

Yes, definitely a fair trade. This looks like a great community. Wish I could have been a more active participant. And yes on your first point as well. My yearly eBay fees alone are higher than a middle class salary.

Charles Brown wrote in post #17322816 (external link)
Good points. It costs money to sell elsewhere. And it is no secret that everyone wants something for nothing.

All Pekka has asked us to do is simply give a little bit of our time participating in this community, before capitalizing on the finely focused market created by this community. I think it is a fair trade.

The ­ Jammer
50 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 09, 2014 13:51 |  #200

100 posts is a lot though

| 1Ds II | 24 TS-E II L | Σ 85 | 24-105 L | 70-200 2.8 IS II L | 50 |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,154 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 09, 2014 13:54 |  #201

The Jammer wrote in post #17323009 (external link)
100 posts is a lot though

It's not 100.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

big901redd
45 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Dec 09, 2014 15:10 |  #202

I 'm surely not one to do much complaining but I have also been a member here for some time and kept up the Boards Daily sometimes checking them before I would do any other social media. It has been very informative coming here I have learned a whole lot just from checking the posts and in order for me to get to the buying or (GAS as they call it here), I must start being active and not just a Lurker.

5DIII * T4I * 24-105L * 50 1.8 * 70-200 2.8 * 135L * Olympus E-PL1
flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,154 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 6 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 09, 2014 15:11 |  #203

big901redd wrote in post #17323187 (external link)
I 'm surely not one to do much complaining but I have also been a member here for some time and kept up the Boards Daily sometimes checking them before I would do any other social media. It has been very informative coming here I have learned a whole lot just from checking the posts and in order for me to get to the buying or (GAS as they call it here), I must start being active and not just a Lurker.

You are halfway there! Check out some of the games, like the A-Z game, I am sure you have pics that you could contribute under the current letter, or the word game, etc. The nice thing is you will learn how to use POTN a bit more than you do just reading things too, skills that will come in handy when you are wanting to sell something.

KenFTW
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 09, 2014 15:44 |  #204

Ibrahim.Photography wrote in post #17304618 (external link)
I think 100 is a little too much I've been here for long enough and bought a lot of gear from here, I just didn't post a lot and still under 100

yeah this is a pain mainly as now i have to post in order to see what people are selling

KenFTW
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 09, 2014 15:45 |  #205

i guess i'll get to posting.

Walshman
32 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 09, 2014 20:01 |  #206

I'm in the same boat, but after browsing some of the sections I hadn't visited in the past, I've seen some really interesting and thoughtful discussions!

iShootSports
56 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 10, 2014 02:45 |  #207

unlucky 13th post here ;)

Charles ­ Brown
153 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 10, 2014 11:27 |  #208

I've counted three times that Team Speed changed his Avatar pic in the last 36 hours. I know longer know who he is. Keeps changing faces. Must be a scammer. New rule: must have same Avatar pic for 30 posts and 30 days before participating in the classifieds. Members need to be able to recognize other members.

:lol::lol::-P

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,154 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 10, 2014 11:39 |  #209

Charles Brown wrote in post #17324672 (external link)
I've counted three times that Team Speed changed his Avatar pic in the last 36 hours. I know longer know who he is. Keeps changing faces. Must be a scammer. New rule: must have same Avatar pic for 30 posts and 30 days before participating in the classifieds. Members need to be able to recognize other members.

:lol::lol::-P

lol, I need to turn off that random ava-loader tool, it seems to be all over the place.

RBode
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 10, 2014 11:54 as a reply to  @ post 17317318 |  #210

Do replies count?

sponsored links

52,962 views & 54 likes for this thread
Where is the normal classifieds??? (Must have 30 posts and 30 day membership to see)
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.