Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 04 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lowepros from China on eBay?

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,807 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 04, 2014 18:07 |  #1

I am in the market for the Lowerpro Flipside Sport 15L or 20L backpacks and I've seen these advertised on eBay for considerably less than any regular e-tailer. However, all of these are coming from China. Am I safe in assuming that these are knockoffs? I don't see why a backpack from an American company would be 20-25% cheaper from some vendor in China.

Thanks!

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
Nortonski
603 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 04, 2014 19:55 |  #2

Scrumhalf wrote in post #17312236 (external link)
I am in the market for the Lowerpro Flipside Sport 15L or 20L backpacks and I've seen these advertised on eBay for considerably less than any regular e-tailer. However, all of these are coming from China. Am I safe in assuming that these are knockoffs? I don't see why a backpack from an American company would be 20-25% cheaper from some vendor in China.

Thanks!

A friend of mine bought one off eBay, looked genuine in the photo, alas what arrived was clearly a cheap knockoff... user had been around a while & continues to trade, they stated that the bags were seconds from Lowepro - I saw the bag, no way was it a second... pal never even got a refund...

Buyer beware for sure!!

pwk
76 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 6 years ago by pwk.

Dec 04, 2014 20:17 |  #3

There was a pretty long thread a while back where a lot of people bought a different flipside model from China, would be interesting if any of these guys could comment on how they're holding up. They are definitely not authentic if you're concerned about that.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1317789

Seems like they won't just fall apart the minute you pick one up, but YMMV in terms of longevity.

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 04, 2014 20:38 |  #4

I'd be careful and make sure you can get your money back at least from paypal, but I just checked my LowePro flipside and it is made in China, so who knows. Personally I'd not want a 'seconds' or reject for that little savings, would have to be at least 50% off.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Nortonski
603 posts
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 6 years ago by Nortonski.

Dec 04, 2014 21:05 |  #5

phantelope wrote in post #17312545 (external link)
I'd be careful and make sure you can get your money back at least from paypal, but I just checked my LowePro flipside and it is made in China, so who knows. Personally I'd not want a 'seconds' or reject for that little savings, would have to be at least 50% off.

I think most of the bags are made in China these days nowhere in the West can we manufacture as cost effectively. Of course being Made in China doesn't mean they can't make a good product - just need to get the QC right...lol

Even the F-Stop bags are made out there...

Biggest problem however is counterfeit goods being sold as the real deal!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,207 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 04, 2014 21:54 |  #6

pwk wrote in post #17312501 (external link)
There was a pretty long thread a while back where a lot of people bought a different flipside model from China, would be interesting if any of these guys could comment on how they're holding up. They are definitely not authentic if you're concerned about that.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1317789

Seems like they won't just fall apart the minute you pick one up, but YMMV in terms of longevity.

I have one and honestly i cant see any difference between it and the real thing. Honestly if it hadnt been for someone in that thread who did a side by side with a genuine model I wouldnt have suspected it wasa knockoff. I have a lowepro computrekker and I didnt find the one I got from china to be any less sturdy.

Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,807 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 05, 2014 00:19 |  #7

Thanks for the inputs. Pretty much what I suspected. I won't buy a knockoff as a matter of principle.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,917 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 05, 2014 12:41 |  #8

I bought one cheap Lowepro bag from Ebay that is shipped from China, but when i've got the bag i swear i can't tell if it is a knockoff, so i really don't know how i can find out if it is not genuine or knockoff if i don't have same model from an authorized dealer/retailer, the fabric and design looks perfect and no sign of wear or any issue.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,207 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 05, 2014 12:46 |  #9

Tareq wrote in post #17313996 (external link)
I bought one cheap Lowepro bag from Ebay that is shipped from China, but when i've got the bag i swear i can't tell if it is a knockoff, so i really don't know how i can find out if it is not genuine or knockoff if i don't have same model from an authorized dealer/retailer, the fabric and design looks perfect and no sign of wear or any issue.

I was in the same boat, without others in the same thread I wouldn't have considered mine to be a knockoff. I had already ordered before I read that it might be counterfeit. I might not have ordered had I known, but I'm glad I did.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 6 years ago by yogestee.

Dec 07, 2014 05:57 |  #10

I bought a Lowepro SlingShot 200AW out of China off eBay about six or seven years ago. It's had heaps of use and it's the bag I take when travelling light. Fits nicely into the overhead compartments in a plane. I don't know if it's a knock off or not, looks genuine to me to Lowepro bags I've seen at retailers.

It started to look a bit grubby so I gave it a good wash with detergent and water. Looks like new again.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 07, 2014 08:47 |  #11

I bought a lowepro backpack from ebay, shipped from China. It does not look fake and has been going strong for the past year. The bag has been replaced with a newer version and that's probably why the bag is cheaper than then original MSRP.

Gearlist

ColinM
151 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 6 years ago by ColinM.

Dec 09, 2014 01:22 |  #12

I just bought a designer label swimsuit for my grand-daughter from one of the high end shops in Australia. Made in China! About 2 years ago I bought a Crumpler "7 Million" bag on Ebay, from an Australian seller, you guessed it. Made in China. I compared my Crumpler with that of a friend, also a 7 Million model, which he bought also on Ebay from a dealer in Shenjen, China, and apart from the colour, I cannot tell the difference, right down to the stitching and material. I paid twice as much for mine as he did his, so I am beginning to wonder who got ripped off here?

Canon 5D MkII and 7D MkII- Lots, Lots of lenses and other bits.:lol: I Like macro. :cool:
If I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something else

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 6 years ago by yogestee.

Dec 09, 2014 09:54 |  #13

ColinM wrote in post #17322003 (external link)
I just bought a designer label swimsuit for my grand-daughter from one of the high end shops in Australia. Made in China! About 2 years ago I bought a Crumpler "7 Million" bag on Ebay, from an Australian seller, you guessed it. Made in China. I compared my Crumpler with that of a friend, also a 7 Million model, which he bought also on Ebay from a dealer in Shenjen, China, and apart from the colour, I cannot tell the difference, right down to the stitching and material. I paid twice as much for mine as he did his, so I am beginning to wonder who got ripped off here?

I bought a Crumpler Pretty Boy 7500 from a little camera shop here in Vientiane. It's made in Vietnam and has been a great little bag if I'm carrying minimal gear. Enough room for a body/grip and a couple of lenses. I get around on a motor scooter, so it's perfect. It cost me around 27 bucks.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Walshman
32 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 09, 2014 22:58 |  #14

Tried the Ebay route on a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home, thinking I got a great deal but it ended up being a replica. Won't ever do that again. Once I purchased a legitimate version and compared, it was readily apparent how lacking the replica was on build quality. I'm sure some replica bags are decent quality, but I wouldn't take the risk...

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
21,724 posts
Gallery: 1956 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 09, 2014 23:04 |  #15

Got two Lowepros from china-bay and both say made in China and both have survived quite a few big trips carrying big loads.
Ordered another about a year ago and never received it-ebay refunded me.
Just ordered yet another 2 weeks ago, it arrived yesteray. Sure looks 'real', examined the seams and all look good. The Lowepro tag
looks quite real as well.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

9,521 views & 2 likes for this thread
Lowepros from China on eBay?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.