Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 07 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 14:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can anyone recommend an SD card with exceptional build quality?

Super ­ Secret
48 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 6 years ago by Super Secret.

Dec 07, 2014 14:07 |  #1

Hi,
Another one of my SanDisk SD cards fell apart. The plastic broke around the contacts of the SD card and my 6D won't read it anymore (it'll read other SD cards), but my SD card reader will. I don't feel like I've been mishandling it or anything. I searched could not find anyone who sells replacements for the case that's housing the memory chip.

With that said, could anyone recommend an SD card that's more durable?

Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D, Sony A7, 15mm f/2.8, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 135mm F/2.0L, manual lenses

sponsored links
Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,039 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 07, 2014 14:30 |  #2

I beat the crap out of my gear and have never had one break.

So either be a bit more gentle or you might have to wait for these to come out

http://petapixel.com …ds-virtually-unbreakable/ (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 07, 2014 14:54 |  #3

Wow. I've been using SanDisk SD, microSD, and CF cards for years and have yet to have any build quality issues.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Post edited over 6 years ago by Jon.

Dec 07, 2014 14:58 |  #4

drvnbysound wrote in post #17318716 (external link)
Wow. I've been using SanDisk SD, microSD, and CF cards for years and have yet to have any build quality issues.

Likewise. And you can add PCMCIA (PC-Card as it became, because People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms)

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ColinM
151 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 09, 2014 01:32 |  #5

For the price of them these days, provided that you stick to the "top" brands like Sandisk, it really does not present a problem. I have broken two Sandisk cards, my fault.

Canon 5D MkII and 7D MkII- Lots, Lots of lenses and other bits.:lol: I Like macro. :cool:
If I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something else

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,766 posts
Gallery: 533 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 09, 2014 01:51 |  #6

Super Secret wrote in post #17318631 (external link)
Hi,
Another one of my SanDisk SD cards fell apart. The plastic broke around the contacts of the SD card and my 6D won't read it anymore (it'll read other SD cards), but my SD card reader will. I don't feel like I've been mishandling it or anything. I searched could not find anyone who sells replacements for the case that's housing the memory chip.

Sounds like your SD card is the exceptional one.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to the Beethoven Channel (external link).

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,060 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 09, 2014 02:16 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #7

I have had a Samsung SD card chip the corner of the card off and since stopped working. At the end of the day i have lots of 8gb cards so not a massive deal if one breaks. I think it's just one of those things. Untill they make them from graphene i'll keep buying lots of small cards and change when they break.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 09, 2014 03:26 |  #8

This looks like a rugged SD card:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …4GB_SDXC_Memory​_Card.html (external link)

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 09, 2014 03:30 |  #9

never seen a SD card, or any card for that matter, fall apart.
sorry to hear you have had this problem

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 09, 2014 04:16 as a reply to  @ bk2life's post |  #10

Well at least you can get the info off it.
Never had one fall apart- bad luck with you .
Sandisk are fine

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 09, 2014 05:19 |  #11

I found and threw away a 32MB Sandisk SD card a couple of weeks ago. It worked fine and was in good condition (I formatted it before tossing it), just no longer really usable due to capacity limitations.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,663 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 09, 2014 07:36 |  #12

You might check with the manufacturer about a warranty. Having said that your case seems unusual so I can't help but think about the possibility of a counterfeit card. For a replacement be concerned about the source. A place like Best Buy sells thousands of cards a week and thus sources them direct from the importer, someone like Sandisk. If you buy from a small supplier, ebay, or sometimes Amazon, there is the possibility of a counterfeit card.

Walshman
32 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 09, 2014 23:14 |  #13

I haven't had one break on me, and I've used SanDisk, Kingston and PNY with no issues across multiple devices and continuously taking them out and into readers, etc. Not sure if there is a "more" durable SD card from the major makers.

That Delkin Black looks great - not sure of cost, though.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Dec 10, 2014 07:45 |  #14

John from PA wrote in post #17322295 (external link)
Having said that your case seems unusual so I can't help but think about the possibility of a counterfeit card. For a replacement be concerned about the source. A place like Best Buy sells thousands of cards a week and thus sources them direct from the importer, someone like Sandisk. If you buy from a small supplier, ebay, or sometimes Amazon, there is the possibility of a counterfeit card.

what he said.

I have bought all my cards from a chain office supply store (never from amazon) because i "know" that they get the cards direct from the manufacturer. Only buy when they are on sale and you pay virtually the same as you can find them online. Sale prices are often half of their everyday price.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
423 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 12, 2014 12:47 |  #15

I've been using Sandisk, Lexar, A-Data, Samsung, and even PNY and never had them break. The only SD that went bad on me from the beginning was a PNY 200x card, which came in corrupt. However, other than that, I guess I've been pretty lucky.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,362 views & 2 likes for this thread
Can anyone recommend an SD card with exceptional build quality?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.