Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 08 Dec 2014 (Monday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D II - settings for Birds

DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,177 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 08, 2014 15:52 |  #1

I tried searching and came up with a lot of 7D stuff but I already had one of those so I don't need it.

I am looking for what you consider the ideal settings (variations from factory default etc) for shooting birds on a 7DII and WHY.

There are so many more little changes compared to the 7D.

Of course, if a thread already exists - just send me there ;)

Cheers!

sponsored links
myphotographic
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 09, 2014 15:34 |  #2

DragonSpeed wrote in post #17321074 (external link)
I tried searching and came up with a lot of 7D stuff but I already had one of those so I don't need it.

I am looking for what you consider the ideal settings (variations from factory default etc) for shooting birds on a 7DII and WHY.

There are so many more little changes compared to the 7D.

Of course, if a thread already exists - just send me there ;)

Cheers!

For the multitude of autofocus parameters, all the guidance from 1DX and 5D3 owners should hold true. example (external link).

Paul

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 09, 2014 17:40 |  #3

I am currently trialing Case 5 AF on my 1DX and, so far, it seems to work very well. this is the one titled "For erratic subjects moving quickly in any direction". I was advised to try this mode by a guy who tests gear for Canon, so he should know, and this is what he uses on both his 7D2 and 1DX.
I have been trying this mode out for three weeks and it seems to work very well - but so did mode 1,3 and 6! The 1DX just focuses! I hope your 7D2 is just as tolerant!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

rent
651 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited over 6 years ago by rent.

Dec 09, 2014 18:25 |  #4

Here's what I have set on my 7D II for in-flight shots (with my 500mm II):

In general:
* Back-button focus on * (I don't find AF-ON to be a comfortable position)
* AI Servo
* High frame rate
* Auto AF point selection: EOS iTR AF: off

A) Big birds (pelicans, egrets):
* Case 1 with tracking sensitivity at -1 -- it seems to jump to background too quickly at 0.
* AF area selection mode: AF Point Expansion (4 surrounding points) -- it's still very hard to get this right on the eye for in-flight shots, and I need much more practice at this.

B) Small, more erratic birds:
* Case 1 (default) -- maybe I should try case 5
* AF area selection mode: 65-points -- I just let AF track the bird and it seems to work well. This works out well for small birds whose entire body is pretty much within DOF.

I am eager to hear about others' settings and results.

-alex

http://portfolio.alexj​iang.com (external link)

JLRplsFL
20 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 09, 2014 19:52 |  #5

Here is the current setup on my 5D3, it should also hold true for the 7D2 as well.

General AF Setup:
I use Case 2 but it really does not matter
Tracking Sensitivity -1 works best, -2 can also work but is more prone to get hung up in the background and slow to recover
Accel/Decel Tracking +2 though it makes the camera act a bit nervous is great for tracking fast moving, inconsistent BIF
AF Pt Auto Switching +1 AF follows movement of subject/BIF very well
These are not in concrete, play with the sittings and see what works for you. I have found these work best for me with wildlife and BIF

Lens Drive when AF Impossible: OFF

A lot of photographers like to control light metering and AF separately and config their camera for back-button AF. I do not fall into that group... wait, wait, hear me out. With back-button AF you have now lost a major advantage of our awesome AF system. The ability of the camera to focus on two different focus points using two different buttons. I have my camera set up to focus on the left side of the frame using the AF-ON button and to focus on the right side of the frame using the shutter button. For action this is great, you can switch from side to side quickly. A subject moving from left to right I focus with the AF-ON button and for a subject moving from right to left I focus with the shutter button.Composing a shot becomes mush easier.

Here is how to do it:

1) Go to Custom Controls Menu
2) Select AF-ON
3) Select AF And Metering
4) Press the INFO button
5) Select HP (Home Point)
6) Leave the menu
7) Set the AF area selection mode to Single-Point AF
8) Select one of the left most AF points
9) Hold down the AF point selection button and press the LCD illumination button
10) This point is now registered - if you move the AF point somewhere else it will blink
11) Set the AF area selection mode to Zone AF
12) Select a zone on the right side of the frame (the previously selected home-point will still blink)

That is it, you are done... test it out. Pretty cool, huh?

Another great setting for two button focusing that works well with Zone AF and a backup 61 Point AF for when the BIF get crazy.

1) Switch to AI Servo AF
2) Select 61-point automatic selection AF (you will see the whole AF area outlined and one single AF point for initial focus achievement)
3) Select the AF point in the center of the frame (this is not necessary but practical)
4) Save this point as your home-point by holding down the AF point selection button and pressing the LCD illumination button
5) Switch to Zone AF

Now you can use the shutter button the shoot with Zone AF wherever you want to place it. If the BIF or whatever you are shooting gets crazy or your tracking gets away from you, just hold down the AF-ON button and let the awesome 61-Point AF system, we paid for, do its thing.

And last but not least, a word about Continuous Drive Mode;

The "spray and pray" mode can sometimes be the enemy for good focus. If a subject is coming at or away from you, remember the AF system only works between frames and at high frame rates, that is not very much time to refocus. On stationary or slow moving subject... spray away.

That's all I got... have fun and click, click, click...

James

James/Louis
5D Mark lll w/BG-E11
24-105mm f/4L, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
600EX-RT w/Harbor Digital XT Extender

rent
651 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 09, 2014 20:40 |  #6

James,

That's an awesome idea! On the 7D II, it's possible to do what you described (left and right focus points) with the AF-ON and * button. The procedure to set it up is the same, by pressing the Info button when changing the configuration assigned to the back buttons. This will allow me to have decoupled metering and AF, and have two focus points.

I will give this a try, hopefully this weekend.

Thanks!
-alex

http://portfolio.alexj​iang.com (external link)

JLRplsFL
20 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 10, 2014 19:23 as a reply to  @ rent's post |  #7

Hey Alex, hope you get to try it out this weekend. I'm going to give the * for right focus a try to see how it works for me. I've always done the AF-ON and Shutter so I don't have to move my fingers will shooting. But I'll give it a shot...

James

James/Louis
5D Mark lll w/BG-E11
24-105mm f/4L, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
600EX-RT w/Harbor Digital XT Extender

cruso
190 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 11, 2014 10:34 |  #8

Nice to see some constructive settings

Canon 7d2Canon Eos 7d 500f4 is 300f2.8 24-105 IS 100-is macro 580ex11

sponsored links

4,409 views & 2 likes for this thread
7D II - settings for Birds
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.