Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 10 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 18:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Peter Lik sells photo for $6.5 million

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 10, 2014 18:06 |  #1

wow.

http://www.thephoblogr​apher.com …6-5-million/#.VIjeD1WJNpA (external link)

sponsored links
EchoShotz
315 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Dec 10, 2014 18:13 |  #2

$10 million for a few photos.. The guy would've been better off buying POTN members 1Dx's ;-)a

5D Mark III, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 L, YN560 (2x)
-Kenny

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,917 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 10, 2014 18:14 |  #3

Totally nutz. Good for him.

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,297 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 10, 2014 18:36 |  #4

Such incredible success with such an unfortunate name.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 10, 2014 18:53 |  #5

I like a lot of Peter Lik's work, and this is a good image, but it's not worth $6.5 million.

Take away the name and it becomes a nice image that would be worth a few thousand as a large print. There are many other similar shots out there which are just as compositionally interesting and technically proficient, but which aren't attached to a famous name. Lik wasn't the first person to photograph Antelope Canyon or kick some dust into a beam of light, and he won't be the last either.

Just another example of where sentiment not inherent to an object itself greatly drives up the sale price, because some investor or other person with too much money decided to pay for it. Which also gives it even greater infamy as the 'photo which sold for $6.5 million', thereby driving up its future potential sale price. It doesn't make the photo any better than another similar one which never sells at all.

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 10, 2014 19:48 |  #6

Shadowblade wrote in post #17325403 (external link)
I like a lot of Peter Lik's work, and this is a good image, but it's not worth $6.5 million.

Not true. The image is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I understand and agree with what you're saying though. There are probably a thousand other images out there that are very similar to this one.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 10, 2014 20:10 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #7

Umm Welcome to the world of Art lol.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,917 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 10, 2014 20:20 |  #8

So... Question...
What does they buyer get? One large framed print for his wall or actual exclusive rights to the photograph itself?

Unlike an original painting it is a phot... That can be printed over and over. I'm assuming it was taken on a medium format digital format so what exactly does the buyer get for that much scratch?

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by J_TULLAR.

Dec 10, 2014 20:31 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #9

Probably a one of a kind print, no reproductions. BTW he uses MF and large format film as well. Its not all digital folks!

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Didereaux
415 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 10, 2014 20:46 |  #10

Says on the link in the OP that he has sold a HALF BILLION DOLLARS in prints over the years. Talk about Right place, right time, and a truckload of KArma!!!!!!

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 10, 2014 23:03 |  #11

IShootThings wrote in post #17325478 (external link)
Not true. The image is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I understand and agree with what you're saying though. There are probably a thousand other images out there that are very similar to this one.

The image itself is not worth that much.

Peter Lik's name attached to an image is worth that much.

The image itself is worth a few thousand, if that.

If you want to see how much is the name and how much is the image, just consider how much it would fetch if Lik's name were not attached to it. Probably no more than the many other stock photos of the same thing.

Or consider how much more an image would sell for if he bought a stock image, put his name to it and said, 'I took it.' It'd probably go from costing a few dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars, with no change in the image itself.

It's nothing intrinsic to the image, and everything to do with the celebrity surrounding its creator (or claimed creator).

TTUShooter
378 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 10, 2014 23:21 |  #12

I will say this is one of the few photos of Lik's that I actually like.

Not $6.5 million, like.

Good for him, I suppose.

Cameras: EOS 7d mark II, Fuji X100F, Leica M8, Leica M2-R,
Lenses: A Whole mess of them.
My flickr (external link)

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Gallery: 273 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 10, 2014 23:56 |  #13

I wondered why Bryan from The Digital Picture had posted a 4 year old image on his flickr stream. Anything lik can do, Bryan can do better springs to mind. :)

https://flic.kr/p/q5C6​Yo (external link)

Another case in art were your just paying for the name and not the actual artwork.

Gear List

pixelbasher
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited over 6 years ago by pixelbasher.

Dec 11, 2014 05:02 |  #14

Playing devils advocate here for a minute:

how much of this is BS on the price I wonder...... a long term plan to hype up your own market price?

Pick any half decent and relatively famous photographer, let the world know you just sold an image of a bent light pole for say 3.9 million (lets not get too greedy first up and go for record price!) but you haven't actually sold it at all....... A few years later when it becomes the norm for you to "sell" multi million $ images to anonymous people, it goes to auction, time for your pay day.....your real pay day.

I'm not saying this Lik guy has done this either now or in the past, but I'm wondering that it probably could be done with smoke and mirrors quite easily. Create your own "worth" by simply telling the world you sold yet another multi million $ image to some anonymous buyer........ It's not like you have to report anything to anyone to prove it. Heck you could even sell your image to some rich guy, say for 1 million, then make a deal with the guy that you tell the world it was actually sold for 6 times what was actually paid and bingo, you have a win for both the photog and the buyer.

Of course your galleries are set up in the ritzy parts of the world, you can now easily put 6 figure sums on the most basic of images, which would give you your bread and butter, in walks some rich guy looking to fill a wall in their new penthouse "hey, that's a bargain for a "lik" he sold one for 6.5 million a while back, I better buy this one NOW, I'd be losing money buy not buying it for only $800K! So what if it's a photo of a cigarette butt in a gutter, it's a Lik!

Whatever, good luck to him, if it's legit, then he's a genius, not only in his work, but more for his business savvy to put himself in a position to have people wanting to pay those sorts of $ for an image. If it's not, again, genius for thinking up such a plan.

It's a nice image, but to be brutally honest, when I first saw a thumbnail of this story on petapixel, I thought it was an x-ray of something caught in some unfortunates cavity!! :lol:

After seeing so many photos on here and places like flickr etc over the years by some brilliant photgraphers, I realise it's not even about the photo, like that ridiculous one of the supermarket shelves someone sold for stupid money a while back, it's all about the name attached to the photo. But you need to make that name in the first place ;) Now I'm beginning to question whether some of these claims of sale prices are in fact nothing more than very clever marketing

Of course I could be, and probably are, way off the mark and there ARE actually people who pay 10 million for 3 images........what a crazy world we live in....

50D. 7D. 24-105L. 100-400L. 135L. 50 1.8 Sigma 8-16
flickr

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 11, 2014 06:34 |  #15

No worse than most "fine art" I have seen in museums worth millions of dollars.... And to me, most look atrocious and wouldn't spend $20 on the piece. Art is just a weird market in general.

I like this image though... Not worth millions, but its nice none-the-less.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

25,591 views & 27 likes for this thread
Peter Lik sells photo for $6.5 million
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.