Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 10, 2014 20:15 as a reply to  @ post 17325505 |  #946

My two returned cameras? Hopefully returned to Canon as defective and not foisted on some other poor soul to make them question their technique ;)

PP

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF, 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

sponsored links
ifixsharp
299 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 10, 2014 20:16 |  #947

full circle. They box them up and send them to the next guy.

Greg
---------------
Photos...http://www.PhotosByRas​berry.com (external link)
5DMK3 | 5DC | 7DMK2 | 1D Mark III | 40D | Canon 24-105mm f/4L | Canon 500mm f/4L | Canon 100-400L | Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8L

britain
778 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 10, 2014 20:22 as a reply to  @ ppmax's post |  #948

Been checking used/refurbished cameras on Canon no 7D2's that I can find. Is there a quick way to check shutter count on the 7D2?

7D2, 20D , 100-400L, EFS 17-85 , EFS 18-135, EFS 10-18mm, 100 2.8 macro , ring light, 430EX II, PD Capture Pro, Lifted modified Jeep to shake it all up:)

My Website HERE (external link)

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 10, 2014 20:23 |  #949

ifixsharp wrote in post #17325514 (external link)
full circle. They box them up and send them to the next guy.

This is good to see:

Will break out the tripod shortly...I have a battery of tests to run. Third time's a charm, I hope.

PP

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 10, 2014 20:30 as a reply to  @ britain's post |  #950

Is there a quick way to check shutter count on the 7D2?

I use EOS Inspector (OS X)...it's what the screenshot above is from.

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 10, 2014 22:12 |  #951

(Sigh of relief...so far so good)

Happy Camper so far...passed all the static shot tests. Whereas 7D2 body #2 couldn't focus to save it's life, body #3 is on target:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

2 lenses down, 3 to go.

Will be testing AI Servo tomorrow.

PP

KatManDEW
665 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 11, 2014 07:53 |  #952

Photo Hunter wrote in post #17325092 (external link)
As I have "bellied up to the bar", I'd like to point out that one takes a chance when buying any manufactured product. Just look at the most recent automobile safety recalls. I'll go out on a limb and state that I bet Canon knows a whole lot more about cameras and how to build them than just about everyone on this forum. Are they perfect? No, of course not! Can they turn out a bad batch of product? Sure! Have they been responsive to these few, isolated problems? It sure seems like it according to the folks that have sent their cameras to Canon for evaluation/repair (like BigCountry as an example). Does it suck to have to send in a new toy to have it fixed? Yep, but it is only a camera and most of us have another that we can play with while the other is getting fixed. And to really put in perspective for you, I have a friend who had a defective artificial hip implanted months ago. They have to go under the knife again because of that incredibly rare glitch in yet another manufacturing process. Point being, the problem you are being so very vocal about is really pretty insignificant when you get right down to it.

At this point in time, it would seem impossible to quantify how many "this many" is actually. I'm not going to go back through the 60+ pages of this thread to count, but it seems like there have been less than 2 dozen folks that have posted to the thread reporting problems. It has been my experience with the other forums I visit (archery and firearms) that whenever a new product is released, people that have issues invariably turn to the internet looking for help and end up in the forums. This, I think, leads one to assume that problems like the 7D2 issue are bigger than they actually are. Especially when you consider that the minority with problems end up being very, very vocal.

Clearly some folks have purchased 7D2s with problems. My heart goes out to them as I understand exactly how disappointing and frustrating that is/would be. Others have had a difficult time warming up to the 7D2 but have worked through the issues and many in this group have admitted operator error. Regardless of how anyone feels about the learning curve that has been referred to, lets face it, if you're stepping up from a camera without the AF system in the 7D2, there is a learning curve and you really should study the owners manual! The remaining group of new 7D2 owners (likely the overwhelmingly largest group) have had no issues what so ever and are thrilled with their new toy. We'll probably never hear a peep from most the folks in this group.

I don't think anyone has implied that the 7D2 problems in general are any worse than any other new camera. My point about bellying up to the bar was for the armchair quarterbacks who have no personal experience with a product being discussed. Some folks have implied that the 7D2 is a different animal than any other Canon camera, and as such, input from people who have no experience with the 7D2 carries little weight in my opinion. Yes there are general usage practices which apply to the 7D2, like any other camera, but experienced users know this and they don't need armchair quarterbacks talking down to them in that respect. I think most of us are aware that defenders of the Canon faith exist, and they will always criticize anyone who has any problem with any Canon product.

That said, I have noticed what appears to me to be a shortage of delighted 7D2 owners posting pics. I know there is a thread here on POTN, but it just seems to me that as recently as after the 70D release, there were more posts from delighted owners, both here and on other forums.

For the record, I'm using a $12,000 lens with the 7D2's I have had. $11,800 actually, but who's counting :lol: I'm not stinking rich, I'm just not married :-D

lg77sc
24 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 11, 2014 08:35 as a reply to  @ post 17325287 |  #953

+1 !!

7D MK II, 7D, 24-105 L f4, 70-200 L f4, 100-400 L f4 IS, Tamron SP 150-600

KatManDEW
665 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 11, 2014 08:55 |  #954

Photo Hunter wrote in post #17325254 (external link)

Regarding the bold...a comment based in jealousy.

And just who says I'm lucky? For the record, I'm not sold on the 7D2. It seems quirky and I'm not convinced I'm getting more keepers than I would with my 7D. I've gone back to square one with the camera three times now. It has missed a great many shots when I felt it should have been on the money and therefore, I too have been following this thread trying to learn from others. I'm just not crying like a baby all over the internet about it.

And regarding my lens: My dad was a photographer. My passion for photography comes from him. He died. I took part of my inheritance and bought the lens. So, get off your high horse!

Quirky is a good description, and possibly even an understatement ;-)a Since getting my 5D3 over 2-1/2 years ago, I've been dreaming about a 7D with the 5D3 AF system (and the associated keeper ratio). And image sharpness at least as good as what I get with my 7D... So far, after extensive use of two 7D2's, I've experienced nothing even in the same galaxy as the keeper ratio from my 5D3, and I think I may have gotten two images out of several thousand with 7d2's, (yes two), that were as sharp as my best 7D images. And I've missed MANY great opportunities because I was shooting a 7D2. Heaven only knows how long it will be until I get opportunities like those again :-(

KatManDEW
665 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 11, 2014 08:57 |  #955

ppmax wrote in post #17325489 (external link)
Ok after two 7d2 returns I'm on nĂºmero three. UPS finally arrives and delivers this...am I cursed? That is the question I want answered!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by ppmax in
./showthread.php?p=173​25489&i=i65460566
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

DAMN! I sincerely hope that one works well, in spite of the dreadful start before you got it out of the box.

britain
778 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 11, 2014 09:37 as a reply to  @ ppmax's post |  #956

@ ppmax do you have, and can you share the serial numbers of the failed cameras?

7D2, 20D , 100-400L, EFS 17-85 , EFS 18-135, EFS 10-18mm, 100 2.8 macro , ring light, 430EX II, PD Capture Pro, Lifted modified Jeep to shake it all up:)

My Website HERE (external link)

KatManDEW
665 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 11, 2014 10:28 |  #957

Photo Hunter wrote in post #17325254 (external link)

Regarding the bold...a comment based in jealousy.

And just who says I'm lucky? For the record, I'm not sold on the 7D2. It seems quirky and I'm not convinced I'm getting more keepers than I would with my 7D. I've gone back to square one with the camera three times now. It has missed a great many shots when I felt it should have been on the money and therefore, I too have been following this thread trying to learn from others. I'm just not crying like a baby all over the internet about it.

And regarding my lens: My dad was a photographer. My passion for photography comes from him. He died. I took part of my inheritance and bought the lens. So, get off your high horse!

I actually find your comments to be some of the most disturbing that I have read, because you're not "crying wolf" all over the internet, and you appear to be giving the 7D2 "the old college try".

You experience sounds similar to mine (except that I have gotten lots of just plain "WTF is this garbage?" from 7D2's many times). Sometimes, for unknown reasons, I got results that were close to what I would expect, except that none of them were as sharp as I get with my old 7D. To make it even more frustrating, the dog gone camera is awesome, except for the unpredictable results and general lack of sharpness. In one case I got a burst of 15-20 shots of a bird flying across some brush. I tracked it well myself, and the 7D2 tracked it amazingly well, but the shots were all soft. There was maybe one shot out of the bunch that was as sharp as I can get with my old 7D. Maybe...

While waiting for 7D2 number three the past week, I've been going back and revisiting pics from my old 7D, just to recalibrate my memory, and my memory was accurate. I was actually surprised by the sharpness of my old 7D shots. It's as if I've been lowering my standards while shooting 7D2's.....

As you said, I'm not sold on the 7D2. I don't know what the deal is, but I don't like it, or the frustration it has caused me. If 7D2 number three is no better, I'm thinking I may have to punt on fourth down, and return it for a refund and give up on the 7D2. And I really, really, really do not want to do that.

Photo ­ Hunter
365 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 11, 2014 17:32 |  #958

KatManDEW wrote in post #17326434 (external link)
I actually find your comments to be some of the most disturbing that I have read, because you're not "crying wolf" all over the internet, and you appear to be giving the 7D2 "the old college try".

You experience sounds similar to mine (except that I have gotten lots of just plain "WTF is this garbage?" from 7D2's many times). Sometimes, for unknown reasons, I got results that were close to what I would expect, except that none of them were as sharp as I get with my old 7D. To make it even more frustrating, the dog gone camera is awesome, except for the unpredictable results and general lack of sharpness. In one case I got a burst of 15-20 shots of a bird flying across some brush. I tracked it well myself, and the 7D2 tracked it amazingly well, but the shots were all soft. There was maybe one shot out of the bunch that was as sharp as I can get with my old 7D. Maybe...

While waiting for 7D2 number three the past week, I've been going back and revisiting pics from my old 7D, just to recalibrate my memory, and my memory was accurate. I was actually surprised by the sharpness of my old 7D shots. It's as if I've been lowering my standards while shooting 7D2's.....

As you said, I'm not sold on the 7D2. I don't know what the deal is, but I don't like it, or the frustration it has caused me. If 7D2 number three is no better, I'm thinking I may have to punt on fourth down, and return it for a refund and give up on the 7D2. And I really, really, really do not want to do that.

Well, I just see no point in going on Ad nauseam just complaining. It serves no useful purpose. I'm sorry you find that disturbing.

Part (if not most) of the reason I'm giving it "the old college try" is because of my experience with my 7D. I was a late adopter and hated that camera when I first bought it. Compared to my 50D, I couldn't get a decent photo out of that camera at the start and definitely went through a learning curve before I started getting good results. Coupled with that and the fact that I am getting mixed results out of the 7D2, I figure it might just be me so I am being patient.

Like I said before, clearly a number of people have gotten 7D2s that obviously have a problem. I am not disputing that at all and my heart really does go out to those folks as I understand how disappointing and frustrating that would be. I'm just not ready to throw in the towel and truly do not understand how that could ruffle anyone's feathers.

Dave
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FaceBook (external link)

Photo ­ Hunter
365 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 11, 2014 17:34 |  #959

ifixsharp wrote in post #17327142 (external link)
Product Serial Number: 022020001345

That was mine..Boy I wish it would come back from canon with a different number...:lol:

For what it's worth, mine is 022021002747

Dave
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FaceBook (external link)

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by koala yummies.

Dec 11, 2014 17:45 |  #960

There's no need to worry about getting someone else's returned camera. That's not how it works. Returned cameras and lenses are sent back to Canon where they're inspected and then sold by Canon as refurbished and marked as such. Lens gets a red mark in the locking pin detent of the lens mount and body gets a pinhole right near the serial number on the label on the bottom of the body.

The seller (B&H, Adorama) doesn't receive the returns and send them out to another customer. If you're buying new from a reputable seller like these two then you're getting a new camera.

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1293​647&page=2

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,367,497 views & 2,730 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.