Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Nov 2014 (Saturday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The worst 3 minutes of your life in reading this....

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 16, 2014 08:08 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

I think painting is flat, lifeless and boring. What a waste of space in museum or gallery! Everything should be sculpted in granite. Or is it copper?

Ansel Adams, Georia O'keeffe, Joe Rosenthal, and Matthew Brady - pretenders all. Not an artist in the bunch. As mentioned, Rockwell worked from photographs. I guess he was half an artist.

The guy is toon! I don't like jazz. It sounds like a bunch of discordant noise to me. That does not lessen others' appreciation of it. Hey bud, tune a different channel if you don't like photos.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 16, 2014 08:33 |  #17

rick_reno wrote in post #17274392 (external link)
Don't read his article on the poppies at the Tower of London....you'll end wanting to hunt this fool down and ask your taxi driver to run him over.

Rick Thanks for that NOT! I just had to go and read it. Not surprising though, and many of the comments weren't that much of a surprise either. I do not know if you are aware but the Guardian is a bastion of the intellectual lefties here in the UK. Very much in the same vein as the Daily Mail writes for the conservative (with a little c, although most of them will also be Conservatives) middle classes.

I for one think that the installation at the Tower is a very fitting tribute to the British Commonwealth members who lost their lives in WWI. I have given to the Poppy Appeal and other ex-service charities since childhood.

As an aside, I am an now Ex-Service person, and part of my current disability problems are due to an injury I received while serving. I have recently been having difficulties with getting all of my due benefits from the government. I have to say that the British Legion have been a great help and support, ensuring that I and my daughter were still able to both buy food and pay all of the bills, as well as helping with dealing with getting my benefits sorted out. The Legion and another charity Norfolk Young Carers who support my 17 year old daughter, who is my main carer, have been the main reason that we have got through this difficult period. So if you are looking to support a charity that does good work there are two you might pick. If you are not in the UK then find organisations that do similar work where ever you are.

Thanks

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ETS
742 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 16, 2014 08:46 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #18

I think they're just scared. And they should be. Who knows what effects the digital age will ultimately have on the art world. With the advance in 3D printer technology...

Fuji X-T2,5D MKII,Rebel XTi
17-40L, 70-200 F4L, 400mm F5.6L, 100mm F2.8L, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
580 EX II

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,895 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 16, 2014 08:51 |  #19

Why would painters be scared? 150 + years ago photography was going to kill painting. It didn't. Color was going to kill B&W. It didn't. Video was going ot be the death of still photography. It wasn't. Digital was going to kill film. It didn't. They are all very different mediums. They all take very different talents and skill sets to do well.

It is far more than just that. For one thing, it is just simple ignorance.

ETS
742 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 16, 2014 09:43 |  #20

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17274910 (external link)
Why would painters be scared? 150 + years ago photography was going to kill painting. It didn't. Color was going to kill B&W. It didn't. Video was going ot be the death of still photography. It wasn't. Digital was going to kill film. It didn't. They are all very different mediums. They all take very different talents and skill sets to do well.

It is far more than just that. For one thing, it is just simple ignorance.

You are right. Ignorance plays a big part. Also fear of competition for sales.

Fuji X-T2,5D MKII,Rebel XTi
17-40L, 70-200 F4L, 400mm F5.6L, 100mm F2.8L, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
580 EX II

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,895 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 16, 2014 10:58 |  #21

I donno real artists create because they have to. Not to sell. And they really are apples and oranges and not really competing with one another like this author has put them in do to his apparent ignorance.

Photography became a legit art form when it moved away from imitating paintings (pictorial photography) and moved to doing the things that only a photograph can do. That started almost 100 years ago. First with Stieglitz, Bill Brandt and then Adams, Weston Cunningham and then the likes of Bresson then Frank and Wnogrand and moved photography to the point of doing only what photography can do that no other art form can do (straight photography) It took that move away from trying to be something else to being something that only it can be before it became a legit art form. But it did become a legit art form thanks to those great artists and straight photography.

Now the real question is where is the digital revolution going to settle? It took photography 80+ years to discover itself. Digital is only a baby now. Where will it go? Only time will tell.

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 16, 2014 11:22 |  #22

QUOTE: "I donno real artists create because they have to. Not to sell."

That's it, right there -- artists create art because it's in their blood. Doesn't matter if it sells - selling art just means you might make a living at it -- but art requires NO sale or even saleability to exist ...

And it requires no authenticity either -- art exists regardless whether anyone or every one or no one likes it. The terms "good" or "bad" or "mediocre" or "extraordinary" interpret art as an opinion, not as a definition.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,141 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Nov 16, 2014 22:44 |  #23

The guy clearly doesn't understand what goes into Photography and the pieces is just your run of the mill click bait piece. Say something contentious about something people like and wait for the angry people to flood in and up your clicks.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

howlin_mad
61 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 17, 2014 08:16 |  #24

I agree that the linked article was flat-footed at best and seemed to be link-bait at worst.

HOWEVER, don't write off The Guardian on photography. Sean O'Hagan has been writing there for quite some time and puts out some of the most consistently thoughtful criticism on photographers, books and shows in a very thorough journalistic manner. He does not spend time questioning the merit of the artform but rather dives deep into its different alleyways and avenues.

Sean's Profile Page (external link)

Gear

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 17, 2014 08:31 |  #25

At least it's nice to see that unusually for the comments section on the guardian website people seem to be applying some common sense to their replies. I usually read the comments at the bottom of articles on and the weep for the future of the species, theres actually some well thought out discussion on this article - quite a pleasant suprise :)

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 18, 2014 17:36 as a reply to  @ Shake N Vac's post |  #26

Don't be too surprised. The Guardian may be a rag, but hey! Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while!

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,126 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by Owain Shaw.

Dec 11, 2014 09:48 |  #27

He's done it again ...
http://www.theguardian​.com …-ever-hackneyed-tasteless (external link)

Click bait journalism at its very worst, but it's worked wonders with over 1500 comments. :rolleyes:

Bumped old thread because an article like this didn't deserve a new one.

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,425 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 11, 2014 10:24 |  #28

Somebody tell this idiot to go that spot with his iPad and recreate that shot if he thinks it's so simple. Hell, up the stakes and give him the same exact gear used for the shot. What a total knob.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 11, 2014 10:37 |  #29

His opening two sentences in the latest article:

"Photography is not an art. It is a technology."

Oh boy! :rolleyes:

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 11, 2014 10:40 |  #30

Yeah...wow! Well I think that Jonathan Jones has told us a whole swag about Jonathan Jones, but has enlightened us not at all about anything else!

So he's a shock-jock! Why should we be impressed?

Growing old disgracefully!

sponsored links

7,750 views & 2 likes for this thread
The worst 3 minutes of your life in reading this....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.