Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 04 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 07:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash Diffuser for weddings

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 12, 2014 09:23 |  #31

Blake C, I don't know if you're still around or not, but what folks have mentioned about larger light sources and the diffusers are giving you some good info and advice. Even though you put a diffuser on your flash it is still a small light source, the only way to begin to get softer lighting is to increase the size of the light source. You can do that by bouncing off a wall or ceiling or by using a large light modifier like a softbox, umbrella, or large reflector. Below are a couple shots of a *really* cheap light modifier...the chicken was excellent!!! Also an image taken using this light modifier.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.beeweather.com (external link)

sponsored links
Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Intheswamp.

Dec 12, 2014 09:25 |  #32

I wasn't sure how to attach more than two images to the message above...maybe I'm not supposed to be able to? Anyhow, here's a result from using the "to-go plate" lid. One drawback is that if you look too closely you will see square highlights in her eyes. But, it is a really simple modifier...and you get to shoot on a full stomach. ;)

Best wishes,
Ed

ETA: The modifier was used in conjunction with 9' tall white spackled ceiling.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,829 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2014 10:55 |  #33

How about those small beauty dish to put on the flash, does if doing any good?
And what about those of ring flash too such as the Orbis one?

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2014 11:05 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #34

A beauty dish big enough to do any good cant be practically mounted on a camera, because of weight and the height limits. I suppose you could mount one on a bracket but a softbox would be lighter and give softer light. Something like this. http://www.amazon.com …Black-Dslrs/dp/B0015AOFOG (external link)

The orbis ring flash is okay for close work but not an answer for wedding work

Tareq
17,829 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2014 11:24 |  #35

gonzogolf wrote in post #17328330 (external link)
A beauty dish big enough to do any good cant be practically mounted on a camera, because of weight and the height limits. I suppose you could mount one on a bracket but a softbox would be lighter and give softer light. Something like this. http://www.amazon.com …Black-Dslrs/dp/B0015AOFOG (external link)

The orbis ring flash is okay for close work but not an answer for wedding work

I was talking about this beauty dish

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …eauty_Dish_Refl​ector.html (external link)

I agree about the ring flash.

Well, i don't think i will mount a softbox on the flash when shoot habdholding without stands and the flash on camera not off.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2014 11:37 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #36

The "beauty dish" you linked to eould be pointless. It does nothing to increase the size of the light source and would prohibit udsing your flash in useful wsys (bouncing) while mounted. Better learn good bounce technique.

Tareq
17,829 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2014 11:41 |  #37

gonzogolf wrote in post #17328375 (external link)
The "beauty dish" you linked to eould be pointless. It does nothing to increase the size of the light source and would prohibit udsing your flash in useful wsys (bouncing) while mounted. Better learn good bounce technique.

The best diffuser to spread the light is the bouncing umbrella [whether white or silver surface], is there any very small umbrella can can be used on the flash on?

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2014 11:53 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #38

To make any difference in direct flash at actual working distances you need a modifier larger than, 20 inches and 24 better yet. So unless you use a tall bracket like the alzo I linked to above then no. The speedlite on camera limits the size of the modifier, maybe 10 inches tops because of the height of the flash. I understand you want small and simple but you cant get large light from a small device, its physically impossible.

Tareq
17,829 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2014 12:26 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #39

No, i am not asking or looking for a large light from a small device, but i was asking or looking for how to diffuse that light from small device to cover larger area even weaker light than it is diffused on a certain narrow area? that is why i said umbrella, but i know that i am asking impossible if i want to place large diffuse on the flash that is on the camera directly, even i can't be comfortable most of the time, but i don't think i will carry a larger diffuser with me around shooting people or wedding that i want to try for first time ever in my life tomorrow or even in hall with meetings/conferences.

Most places the ceiling is so high and the walls are way far from subjects or not close enough to diffuse, so how someone diffused the light when shooting indoors where the ceiling is high and subjects are far distance from the walls or the light diffused from the wall is not strong enough?

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2014 12:35 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #40

Visit Neil vsn Niekerks tangent blog, I think he might change your mind about ceiling height snd bouncing. With the improved ISO performance on newer bodies you can get great light from surfaces you might not otherwise dcpect that you could. He also had a video ldcture on the B&H website.

Tareq
17,829 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2014 12:38 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #41

In fact i am planning to use high ISO when i can't use flash or not strong available light, but i was thinking if i can use this speedlight to give some light punch so i don't need to go so high ISO higher than 800 or 1000 even i have the best ISO performance cameras.

I will visit his link/blog again, i forgot what i did read on his in the past, will see what he has as an update or refresh my memory, thanks!!!

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2014 12:45 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #42

I think one of the most overlooked benefit of jmotoved high ISO performance is how it benefits flash. One of the things you will find is that even sufficient available light doesn't make it good light. Anyone who has done high ISO available light in a hotel conference room will tell you that eye socket shadows and the drop shadows from eye glasses make for ugly unflattering images. But high ISO gives you the option of sdding a small kiss of (gelled) flash makes a huge difference.

Tareq
17,829 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2014 12:55 |  #43

gonzogolf wrote in post #17328512 (external link)
I think one of the most overlooked benefit of jmotoved high ISO performance is how it benefits flash. One of the things you will find is that even sufficient available light doesn't make it good light. Anyone who has done high ISO available light in a hotel conference room will tell you that eye socket shadows and the drop shadows from eye glasses make for ugly unflattering images. But high ISO gives you the option of sdding a small kiss of (gelled) flash makes a huge difference.

Well, tomorrow the wedding or ceremony or whatever will be in the morning day light, not sure how is the light inside the church, hope i don't need to use any kind of diffusers there, who knows, i will use auto ISO and see what is the average ISO i can get, and what f-stop i should use then for that indoor ceremony, wide open or f4 or f8 maximum?

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2014 13:10 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #44

Pick the aperture for creative reasons solely. I hate auto iso, so I cant comment there.

Tareq
17,829 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2014 13:13 |  #45

Not sure which church i will go to but this church is just very close or next to the church i may go to, so with this church for example, how can make the exposure with or without the flash?

https://www.google.com …882229a94e7!6m1​!1e1?hl=en (external link)

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

14,674 views & 5 likes for this thread
Flash Diffuser for weddings
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.