Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 12 Dec 2014 (Friday) 06:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AMASS version 1.1 is coming soon!

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,548 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 3 years ago by Pekka. (6 edits in all)

Dec 12, 2014 06:56 |  #1

I've been working hard to get you AMASS 1.1 which addresses most concerns and wishes from feedback.

There is still work to do, but I want to share openly the progress information, so that you know where we are going. It should not be a surprise to anyone when the update happends (in some days, most likely)

The main issues have been the top navigation inconsistency (flowing) and centric design, FYEO messynes, missing "mark forums read", follow thread automation etc.

Here is a list of things that are already done and coded (in dev version, no here yet).

• Top part of AMASS is redone. Page elements are moved and fonts changes. It is better for large screens and small screens. Responsive menus. (meaning: a facelift). See https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1413467
  • There will be no option to choose if you want to go directly to followed thread or new posts: New & Followed will be separated into two individual menu items, one is for the logged members (Followed & Own) and other is for all: New posts.
  • Post editor: Moved SUBMIT and CANCEL to the right.
  • All command buttons are enlarged slightly and spread apart a little more.
  • Light box glasses are visible regardless of images size: if image is smaller than the window a small + is inserted to denote this.
  • Reduced preview draft saving "shake".
  • AMASS does not add source link to copied text if text is less than 300 characters long.
  • Altered dynamic scaling so that default margins get narrower on smaller devices, also avatars scale down a lot more on e.g. iPad vertical.
  • Some color changes to white scheme, more definition, easier to eyes in bright (and large) screens. The color differences a subtle, but are a very noticeable improvement on bright tablets and large screens. I will try to make a satisfactory white scheme before putting time to other color schemes.
  • Removed thread start date info as excessive from thread pages. It is easy to get the first page and see it there. I might add later a warning if one tries to reply a thread that is very old (and offer to search similar threads). That space is now reused for thread commands.
  • Renamed LIST NEARBY THREADS to PREV/NEXT and moved it to a better location where it stays in the same place regardless of content, with other thread related commands.
  • Added SEARCH THREAD command for searching in current thread. It opens a box for you for entering the keyword, it is located with other thread related commands.
  • Moved FOLLOW THREAD command to a better location where it stays in the same place regardless of content, with other thread related commands.
  • [MORE/REPORT/SHARE] is "reduced": MORE changed to MORE INFO, and SHARE is removed (as there is no share yet), and the format is made wrappable in small screens.
  • Post permalink (#123) put to top right corner of a post. That is the old style and so be it :)
  • Shortened page description texts.
  • Registration page is complete, will open registration soon (EDIT: registration is open).
  • Member verification page has a "resend verification mail" command. (EDIT: on this version, too)
  • Multiquotes are added to post automatically, and only if there is no previous draft found. If you reply to a post with the "QUOTE" command, that quote is inserted after the multiquotes.
  • Fixed a bug where image colorspace and gamma was altered on uploaded images in some cases.
  • Fixed a bug in import subscriptions page where you were not shown all areas to choose from. Better see that page again for more threads to import (sorry)!
  • Thread search result list shows now reply counts.
  • Fixed several smaller bugs.
  • Only lens and camera will be required for adding the photo to gallery. The rest will be optional.
  • Metadata editor tweaked a little to make it simpler and clearer.
  • Added "disable animations" setting
  • Added "hide side galleries" setting
  • "Short view" will be the default entry mode in index page. It has sans-serif headers. "Full view" will have script font headers (I like them), and a revised "old POTN" style look
  • pagination: page reload command: reloads the page without extra URL parameters
  • forum thread listing: thread information boxes are colored for easy quick look
  • forum thread listings: unread and read are clearly distinguished. Visited link color suppressed as "confusing".
  • index page: you may collapse areas
  • index page: action commands (filter, rearrange) on top.
  • FYEO (User CP) is now in control panel format, one command/feature per page.
  • Forum index page thread listings have "old POTN" look which is familiar and easy for the eyes.
  • MARK FORUM(S) READ. This command marks all the posts (up to the moment you hit the button) read, sets vanilla read marking for all threads in that forum as read, clears current notifications for that forum and marks all unseen posts seen with followed threads.

I've almost competed the password recovery page. FYEO will have a password change tool.

Automatically following thread will be added with a setting in FYEO (default: no).

Finally I'm adding the requested gear (no tripod category yet, that is 1.2) and gear images.

---

After 1.1. I'll concentrate getting the PM email notifications(even simple ones) coded. And to add that camera support gear category.

Other small things will be tweaked later, post timestamp and like (I like where they are now, though) and such.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,584 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 12, 2014 08:00 |  #2

This needs to be a sticky on the main page (like the "attention to users" thing)..

People won't see this thread, and will keep asking the same questions...

progress is fantastic, Pekka!

SmugMug (external link)

Mick ­ F
Baywatch and a box of Kleenex!
30 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Dec 12, 2014 08:01 |  #3

Hopefully people appreciate the time and effort you are putting in here. I can only imagine the amount of hours that have gone into this from you and the rest of the team. This clearly shows that feedback is listened to and acted on.

I love the new site and am amazed at the sense of entitlement some people have when using such a fantastic and free resource such as POTN. Constructive criticism is always good, but the whinging I've seen from a minority of people must be off-putting.

I have delusions of adequacy!

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,526 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 12, 2014 08:06 |  #4

This is awesome!

Sevas Tra...

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,704 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 12, 2014 11:38 |  #5

Pekka wrote in post #17327983 (external link)
I've been working hard to get you AMASS 1.1 which addresses most concerns and wishes from feedback.

Thank you for your continued round-the-clock work! Below is more feedback. :-)

Post editor: Moved SUBMIT and CANCEL to the right.

If one can tab to SUBMIT and CANCEL, it doesn't matter where they are. Tabbing to SUBMIT and hitting Return was a timesaver.

Some color changes to white scheme, more definition, easier to eyes in bright (and large) screens. The color differences a subtle, but are a very noticeable improvement on bright tablets and large screens. I will try to make a satisfactory white scheme before putting time to other color schemes.

The current white scheme suits me fine (laptop with easy screen-brightness adjustment). Can it be kept for those who like it? Presumably these are many, as most members haven't asked for a change.

Automatically following thread will be added.

Will users be able to choose follow or not-follow as their default? This was discussed in another thread on this forum.

Listing pages (index / forum index / new) will have changes, too. I will remove the Script font from those and leave that font for some page headers and title fairy stuff.

In the thread on the script font, a few members objected loudly to JennaSue, and a few others argued equally loudly for keeping her. There was no consensus, not to mention that most members didn't give their opinions at all. I'll be sorry to see her almost gone.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,685 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 12, 2014 12:00 as a reply to  @ post 17327985 |  #6

Looks great Pekka.

I agree with Harm, this needs to be a sticky on the main page.

Tim

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 12, 2014 12:11 |  #7

Looks awesome. Should capitalize the "I" in Forum index at the top right though.

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,699 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 12, 2014 12:11 |  #8

OhLook wrote in post #17328377 (external link)
Some color changes to white scheme, more definition, easier to eyes in bright (and large) screens. The color differences a subtle, but are a very noticeable improvement on bright tablets and large screens. I will try to make a satisfactory white scheme before putting time to other color schemes.

The current white scheme suits me fine (laptop with easy screen-brightness adjustment). Can it be kept for those who like it? Presumably these are many, as most members haven't asked for a change.

I too would VERY much want to keep what we have now. Darker background will only decrease contrast and contrast has already been decreased a bit a while ago when you darkened the background a bit and made the text a little greyer. For me that is more strain on the eyes than black on white. I think before people complain about the brightness they should try to lower the brightness of their screen. Most monitors are set to the highest brightness when they arrive at people's home and most leave it there.

Listing pages (index / forum index / new) will have changes, too. I will remove the Script font from those and leave that font for some page headers and title fairy stuff.

In the thread on the script font, a few members objected loudly to JennaSue, and a few others argued equally loudly for keeping her. There was no consensus, not to mention that most members didn't give their opinions at all. I'll be sorry to see her almost gone.

I too am one of those who would be very sorry to see JennaSue go. I still think it's lovely and suits AMASS so well.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

snerd
626 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 12, 2014 12:24 |  #9

Dude.......... you're a god!! :-D

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2014 12:30 |  #10

Thanks for the changes. Especially the gallery metadata issue. I'm not sure if this is on the list but since threads in which uou comment are not followed by default ( my preference) can the follow thread popup be moved to the midfle of the psge? On my tablet I zoom in just enough that I miss it snd occasionally forget to follow a thread.

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,548 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 12, 2014 14:05 |  #11

If one can tab to SUBMIT and CANCEL, it doesn't matter where they are. Tabbing to SUBMIT and hitting Return was a timesaver.

I really would not want to add keyboard commands like that to avoid accidental submits.

You'll barely notice the change.

Will users be able to choose follow or not-follow as their default? This was discussed in another thread on this forum.

Yes, I'll add the choice. If not with 1.1. then soon after.

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17328440 (external link)
I think before people complain about the brightness they should try to lower the brightness of their screen. Most monitors are set to the highest brightness when they arrive at people's home and most leave it there.

Exactly.

I too am one of those who would be very sorry to see JennaSue go. I still think it's lovely and suits AMASS so well.

For longer phrases it is hard to read if you are not accustomed reading handwriting/cursive - and that is something that I can not ignore. We can read it and it looks cool, but I also need to think of readability for the majority. I can make alternative styles have the "old look" of course, later.

There is one other problem with JennaSue: it is a web font that needs to be downloaded, and to detect if it is really downloaded is tricky: there is a script working for it. In some browsers the delay in download compared to page drawing causes a phenomenon called FOUT (http://www.paulirish.c​om …hting-the-font-face-fout/ (external link)). JennaSue glyph size is very small compared to conventional fonts, so there needs to be code to change the font size to much smaller normal font if Jenna is not loaded. All this creates unnecessary overhead and possible graphical flicker.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,374 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 12, 2014 14:13 |  #12

Personally I like the forum the way it is now and can understand making some minor changes here and there.
Any changes will be adapted to and POTN will still be the best forum out there, in design, content, and user base.
The funny thing after acclimating to AMASS is now any time I visit another forum I am always trying to do things there
that can only be done here! Well done Pekka, outstanding work!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,618 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 12, 2014 14:16 |  #13

I too would VERY much want to keep what we have now. Darker background will only decrease contrast and contrast has already been decreased a bit a while ago when you darkened the background a bit and made the text a little greyer. For me that is more strain on the eyes than black on white. I think before people complain about the brightness they should try to lower the brightness of their screen. Most monitors are set to the highest brightness when they arrive at people's home and most leave it there.

for me.. I thought it fit Pekka well. AMASS is his baby.. I thought the font was very musical like which is part of Pekka. ;-)a

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,584 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 12, 2014 14:17 |  #14

I thought the JennaSue font was well still is great. we need a campaign to save Jenna!

SmugMug (external link)

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,526 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 12, 2014 14:21 |  #15

If it helps the cause, I like the font.

Sevas Tra...

sponsored links

39,436 views & 101 likes for this thread
AMASS version 1.1 is coming soon!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.