Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 01:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can a light stand double up as a microphone blimp stand?

sudipto_roy
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 11, 2014 01:09 |  #1

My first post in the new site and I am not even sure if this is the right place to post it but I couldn't find any forum for tripods except here. My question is this - I am planning to get a Manfrotto 1051BAC Alu Mini Air Cushioned Compact Stand. Now the question is can it double up as a support for my Rode Blimp without any modification to the head?
I posted this under the sticky in the general gear talk. But I doubt if anyone will see it there to respond.
Regards
Sudipto

7D with 400 F 5.6 for birds
5D Mk II with 24-70 for everything else

sponsored links
CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by CAPhotog.

Dec 11, 2014 08:14 |  #2

Without modification, no. But you probably just need the Rode Universal Blimp Mount adaptor.

http://www.amazon.com …_87?s=musical-instruments (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 11, 2014 11:56 |  #3

CAPhotog wrote in post #17326202 (external link)
Without modification, no. But you probably just need the Rode Universal Blimp Mount adaptor.

http://www.amazon.com …_87?s=musical-instruments (external link)

this says 3/8 mount. the light stand will almost certainly be a 5/8.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Dec 11, 2014 14:39 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #4

you'll need something like this http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …5_8_receptor_to​_long.html (external link) and i assume the gadget CAphotog posted.

the stand you have specified shows a threaded male top in addition to the 5/8 pin. I personally don't like the threaded top as it doesn't add much function and can keep things from fitting down on the pin all the way.

these are the stands i use. one thing i like is that the legs can be placed flat against the ground to avoid a tripping hazard. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …7486_Reverse_St​and_7.html (external link)

it's a bit heavier, but smaller packed and a little cheaper and can hold an additional 2 or 3 pounds.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by CAPhotog. (4 edits in all)

Dec 12, 2014 17:12 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #5

Mics use threaded mounts, not studs. If your Rode came with the 3/8" to 1/4" adapter, you are good to go.

sudipto_roy
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 18, 2014 10:21 |  #6

Sorry for the late response as I was away from the site for a few days. I am not so worried about the 3/8th 5/8th issue. That can be easily tackled with a thread adapter. My issue is, there are two holes below the handle of the blimp. One for the tripod/boom and the other from where the XLR connector comes out where the cable goes in. This is a little projected out. So whatever stud is there on top of the stand has to be a little long so that it doesn't foul with the XLR connector right next to it. Is this problem taken care of in the stand whose link I shared?

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 18, 2014 19:49 |  #7

The new blimp with hollow grip looks like it addresses any concern by angling the XLR outward. For the older blimp, I assume you would want the universal adapter as there is no handle for the XLR to go through. I have a PG2 grip not the blimp, so understand what you mean but can't verify anything for you.

sudipto_roy
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by sudipto_roy.

Dec 21, 2014 00:43 |  #8

Yes, very correct that the new blimp addresses the problem. I don't know if the universal adapter will help me. I am attaching two images of the bottom of my handle one with the XLR and other without the XLR. Thanks for taking the time out to try and solve my problem CAPhotog

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by CAPhotog. (2 edits in all)

Dec 21, 2014 01:51 as a reply to  @ sudipto_roy's post |  #9

Maybe this will help. Here is a close up of the threaded stud on the Manfrotto 1051BAC. I'm holding the threaded adapter that is included on the left.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1008.photobuck​et.com …FA492DF71_zpspc​wgdjdy.jpg (external link)

sudipto_roy
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 21, 2014 06:24 |  #10

Fantastic. This is precisely what I was wanting to see. Thanks a tonne CAPhotog :-)

sponsored links

2,068 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can a light stand double up as a microphone blimp stand?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.