Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 00:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with choosing diffuser.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,858 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 13, 2014 19:16 |  #31

Archibald wrote in post #17330781 (external link)
The 580 has a built-in diffuser for that.

I assure you that placing a 580 less than a foot from the bounce surface, even with the wide angle diffuser down, will create a small light source on said bounce surface.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,770 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by digital paradise. (2 edits in all)

Dec 13, 2014 19:45 |  #32

Well if you are a foot from the wall I can see it helping there however it still needs to bounce. I just wanted to say that because you said it creates a huge light source. This is not the diffuser. The walls and ceilings it bounces light off become the light source. We want to make sure the OP does think the diffuser itself is the large light source because as a stand alone it is no bigger than the bare flash.

The question now is will the OP be bouncing the flash a foot from the wall often.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 13, 2014 19:48 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17330766 (external link)
I hit MQ on the posts then hit "post in thread" then on the left is the word "quote" click it and then multi quote.

As for the real estate use, I have had to put the 580 so close to the wall or ceiling that bouncing could not create a big light source. The stofen throws light around everywhere so the light source is huge in comparison.

Thanks for the tips on multi-quoting. I got it to work.

I don't think your example makes any sense. Bouncing off a wall, even if the 580 is touching it, is going make a bigger source than a Stofen. I'll accept that the device works for your application, though. Perhaps I've just never come across a situation where I needed to 'throw light around everywhere.'

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 13, 2014 19:51 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17330811 (external link)
I assure you that placing a 580 less than a foot from the bounce surface, even with the wide angle diffuser down, will create a small light source on said bounce surface.

Relatively small, certainly. Hundreds of times bigger than the Stofen, gauranteed.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,770 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2014 19:54 |  #35

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17330860 (external link)
Thanks for the tips on multi-quoting. I got it to work.

I don't think your example makes any sense. Bouncing off a wall, even if the 580 is touching it, is going make a bigger source than a Stofen. I'll accept that the device works for your application, though. Perhaps I've just never come across a situation where I needed to 'throw light around everywhere.'

If you bounce a flash one foot from the spill from a bare flash will reach the ceiling bit I can see a little more getting there with the diffuser. It's what it is designed to do but I still would not use it because I decided to walk away from them.

Image Editing OK

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 13, 2014 22:01 |  #36

Thank you guys for all your input. Wasn't expecting a lot of replies but believe me it has helped me very much. I research this a bit more and read information that this isn't good outdoors, waste of battery power and money as many have stated. Once again thank you all for the replies.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Alveric. (3 edits in all)

Dec 13, 2014 23:08 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

I don't always want boucing. Sometimes I want a bare bulb. In those situations I slap (used to, anyway since I use monolights now) the StoFen on the flashgun and have my cake and eat it too.

Like with this photo:

IMAGE: http://lunaris.diamantstudios.ca/wp-content/uploads/5D2-_MG_2458.jpg

I used a 'bare bulb' (Canon EX430-II with the StoFen on) to the right of the barista, lower than her shoulder and a little behind her: the bare bulb gave me rim lighting on her, lit up the area behind the counter, and added a nice highlight on the curved ceiling. The light from an unmodified flashgun woulda been too directional. And as you can see, with a black ceiling and coloured (dark-coloured to boot) walls, I had no suitable sources to bounce light off of.

Also, bouncing the light softens it: I don't always want that. I love hard light and would like the ability to have a light source that spreads light in all directions —360°: the StoFen gives me that.

It really doesn't have to be an 'all or nothing' situation. As I said, the StoFen has its uses, however limited they might be. For the price and the space it takes in the bag, I'll take it with me always even if I don't use it. When the situation calls for it, I'm happy to have it. For that matter, I've spent money on other modifiers and I'm not using them all the time.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,087 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 13, 2014 23:42 |  #38

Alveric wrote in post #17331105 (external link)
I don't always want boucing. Sometimes I want a bare bulb. In those situations I slap (used to, anyway since I use monolights now) the StoFen on the flashgun and have my cake and eat it too.

Like with this photo:

QUOTED IMAGE

I used a 'bare bulb' (Canon EX430-II with the StoFen on) to the right of the barista, lower than her shoulder and a little behind her: the bare bulb gave me rim lighting on her, lit up the area behind the counter, and added a nice highlight on the curved ceiling. The light from an unmodified flashgun woulda been too directional. And as you can see, with a black ceiling and coloured (dark-coloured to boot) walls, I had no suitable sources to bounce light off of.

Also, bouncing the light softens it: I don't always want that. I love hard light and would like the ability to have a light source that spreads light in all directions —360°: the StoFen gives me that.

It really doesn't have to be an 'all or nothing' situation. As I said, the StoFen has its uses, however limited they might be. For the price and the space it takes in the bag, I'll take it with me always even if I don't use it. When the situation calls for it, I'm happy to have it. For that matter, I've spent money on other modifiers and I'm not using them all the time.

Probably would have got the same results without the StoFen, except it would have used less batteries.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,807 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 14, 2014 00:35 |  #39

Alveric wrote in post #17331105 (external link)

Yes, Stofen has its uses...to simulate 'bare bulb' shots, just like a studio flash without any reflector in place.
Hardly the universal lighting modifier that so many unknowing novices to lighting think it to be! Just as a toolkit has multiple screwdrivers and each has its best time and worst times of usage, the same can be said of Stofens and most every other light modifier!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,770 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by digital paradise.

Dec 14, 2014 00:45 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #40

Possibly but for the cost it really does not matter that much if you get a cheap one. As long as user knows what it was designed to do and what it can't do and feels it helps with creativity then so be it.

These forums are helpful to let people know that these devices do not let you get around the physics of light. Then they can make an educated purchase. GF made a few $$$ off me. I still do this day do not know why I had a cloudy and clear dome :oops: Seemed like a really good idea at one time.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,770 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by digital paradise.

Dec 14, 2014 00:47 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #41

Nice shot by the way. If I can't bounce I have no issues shooting direct flash. I just crank up the ISO.

Image Editing OK

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,858 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Dec 14, 2014 23:40 |  #42

Great example Alveric.

Excellent explanation Wilt.

Agree DP that the original sto-fen is as effective as any of the newcomers. And takes up less space than a quart take out container.

I've used stofen type light only a few time this year. But when it's called for there is nothing easier than slapping it atop a speedlight. I will say that I don't think I've ever used it with an on camera speedlight.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
41,807 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt.

Dec 15, 2014 00:07 |  #43

digital paradise wrote in post #17331169 (external link)
Image Editing OK

Where do you turn on that flag? Like so many things in AMASS, I know it's there but I cannot find it!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,087 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Archibald.

Dec 15, 2014 00:19 |  #44

Wilt wrote in post #17333165 (external link)
Where do you turn on that flag? Like so many things in AMASS, I know it's there but I cannot find it!

You mean the bit about Image editing OK? Just put it in your sig.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Wilt
41,807 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 15, 2014 00:22 |  #45

Archibald wrote in post #17333185 (external link)
You mean the bit about Image editing OK? Just put it in your sig.

Merely insert it as text, no special option box that you check to enable that status flag?!

sponsored links

4,381 views & 2 likes for this thread
Help with choosing diffuser.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.