Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 06:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Considering a move from PCB to Elinchrom.

sincity
191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 14, 2014 06:46 |  #1

I have three PCB products (AB800, WLx1600, WLx3200) and a few modifiers like a brolly box, grids, reflectors and striplight. I also have three Elinchroms (EL1000, EL250, BX500i) with beauty dish, Deep Octa, reflector, and a grid set. I like the idea of changing power with 1/10th stops with the BX and skyports.

I don't have any means of changing the power on PCB remotely.. I do have Pocket Wizard TT5, but not the receiver, so I have to change the power via the sliders. The thing is I really like the X3200 for my roller derby images, since stadiums are well.. dark.. And the EL1000 covers that spot too, but with more choices on modifiers. But the EL1000 is also 'old-tech' like the PCB X3200 with sliders as well and can't use skyports.. I can get the new Elinchrom 1000w/s flash that will use the skyport, but lose the ability with the Pocket Wizard TT5.

So I am asking the forum on the merits of each.. I have equal amounts of each, and if I go to Elinchrom all the way, I would still have to upgrade the 1000w/s as well as the 250w/s flash to either the ELC or the BXRi. And if I go with PCB all the way, I can use the Pocket Wizard adapter to control the power.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 22, 2014 12:35 |  #2

sincity wrote in post #17331371 (external link)
I have three PCB products (AB800, WLx1600, WLx3200) and a few modifiers like a brolly box, grids, reflectors and striplight. I also have three Elinchroms (EL1000, EL250, BX500i) with beauty dish, Deep Octa, reflector, and a grid set. I like the idea of changing power with 1/10th stops with the BX and skyports.

I don't have any means of changing the power on PCB remotely.. I do have Pocket Wizard TT5, but not the receiver, so I have to change the power via the sliders. The thing is I really like the X3200 for my roller derby images, since stadiums are well.. dark.. And the EL1000 covers that spot too, but with more choices on modifiers. But the EL1000 is also 'old-tech' like the PCB X3200 with sliders as well and can't use skyports.. I can get the new Elinchrom 1000w/s flash that will use the skyport, but lose the ability with the Pocket Wizard TT5.

So I am asking the forum on the merits of each.. I have equal amounts of each, and if I go to Elinchrom all the way, I would still have to upgrade the 1000w/s as well as the 250w/s flash to either the ELC or the BXRi. And if I go with PCB all the way, I can use the Pocket Wizard adapter to control the power.

don't know if you can use PW's with Elinchrome - maybe ask in the lighting section

trg42
23 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 24, 2014 15:50 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #3

I think if you want remote output control buy a AC-9 for your AB / WL ( keep in mind you also need at Flex TT-5 receiver ) ....this is why BTW the Einstiens rock...you only need the MC-2 receiver

If you price a Einstein with MC-2 vs a AB with AC-9 + TT-5, you might as well go Einstein ( if they have the output for you )

I run AB and Einstein MC-2 with Elinchrom Style RX 600s w/ Pocket Wizard ST-4

With the AC-3 on my TT1 transmitter I can control the output off all my lights !

I'm in the process of getting the Kacey Einstein to Elinchrom adapters so i can use all Elinchrom speedrings on my modifiers and still use them on my Einsteins !

sincity
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 25, 2014 19:38 as a reply to  @ trg42's post |  #4

I would consider Einsteins once I can get rid of the AB800/WLx1600 next month... I am not sure if I can lose the WLx3200, since it has a long 'tail' on the flash output.

If PCB upgrades the WLx3200 to Einstein functions, they would rock, since I need a 1KW/s flash for sports. And having a IGBT flash with 1KW/s would be very helpful.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
Considering a move from PCB to Elinchrom.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.