Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 15 Dec 2014 (Monday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New lens

penfolduk
692 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 15, 2014 16:08 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to get into my automotive photography and looking to get a new lens to add to the arsenal.

Currently have the following:
Canon 70-200 F4L
Canon 50 F1.8
Tamron 17-35

and they are on a Canon 7D and a 1D MKii

Really am open to ideas? Be nice to get some more seperation between cars and background.

IDEAS?

Fuji X-T3
Fuji 16-80mm F4
Viltrox 56mm F1.4
Wish list as long as your arm! and my arm! and my wife's arm! - you get the idea
Website (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,265 posts
Gallery: 295 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 15, 2014 16:13 |  #2

It might help to define the sort of separation you want. Trying to seerate by shalloe DOf with cars is more of a positioning thing than a lens thing. A wider lens can use perspective to diminish the background, but some distortion.

penfolduk
THREAD ­ STARTER
692 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 15, 2014 16:21 |  #3

Thats a good question really.

Guess I mean DOF but would that stop the whole car being in focus?

Fuji X-T3
Fuji 16-80mm F4
Viltrox 56mm F1.4
Wish list as long as your arm! and my arm! and my wife's arm! - you get the idea
Website (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by LV Moose.

Dec 15, 2014 16:30 |  #4

not if you're perpendicular to it.

How far away are you planning to be? f/1.8 should be plenty shallow.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,265 posts
Gallery: 295 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 15, 2014 16:33 |  #5

Angle and distance play a big part in this.

penfolduk
THREAD ­ STARTER
692 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 15, 2014 16:35 |  #6

I was thinking maybe a 85mm 1.8?

Fuji X-T3
Fuji 16-80mm F4
Viltrox 56mm F1.4
Website (external link)

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 15, 2014 20:31 |  #7

As others have said, looking at your lenses it's probably not an equipment issue. Shallow DOF will just mean that a tiny amount of the car is in focus and you don't want that in automotive.

Maybe show us what look you are trying to achieve, vs what you are currently able to produce?

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,763 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 15, 2014 21:52 |  #8

98kellrs wrote in post #17334973 (external link)
As others have said, looking at your lenses it's probably not an equipment issue. Shallow DOF will just mean that a tiny amount of the car is in focus and you don't want that in automotive.

Maybe show us what look you are trying to achieve, vs what you are currently able to produce?

I'd say it depends. There are times you want the entire car in focus, and times when you're shooting a detail and you want to highlight just a part of the car. Here are three photos of a McLaren 650S Spider. The first was taken with a Sigma 12-24mm. The other two were taken with the Canon 50mm f/1.4.

Play with the equipment you have. You have gear that can do lots of things. Put it to work. Go to car meets, and shoot. Look at what others shoot. Don't shoot what everyone else shoots if you want to stand out from the crowd.

IMAGE: http://grahamglover.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v98/p174325677-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://grahamglover.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v161/p490298885-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://grahamglover.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v110/p366343998-5.jpg

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Photo Collection (external link)

lusospeed
181 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 20, 2014 09:53 |  #9

penfolduk wrote in post #17334424 (external link)
Really am open to ideas? Be nice to get some more separation between cars and background.

IDEAS?

This depends on what you mean by separation of the car and the background. Some of the examples posted have nothing to do with separating the car from its background, only dealing with the DOF. Separation from the background is going to be a combination of your lens choice and what you set the DOF at. That comes down to your choice of f/stop and a number of other variables in any given situation. I'd suggest that you look at what you're looking to shoot and base your lens selection on your needs. For example, if you're shooting motorsports, your choices should be based on that. If you're just going to car shows and shooting that, consider your needs and choose accordingly.

http://www.lusospeed.c​om (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 20, 2014 23:24 |  #10

penfolduk wrote in post #17334424 (external link)
Be nice to get some more seperation between cars and background. IDEAS?

To get what you want may be expensive.

Don't be surprised if you need a Canon 50mm f/1.2 lens (external link) or a Canon 85mm f/1.2 (external link) lens.

kris142
997 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 25, 2015 03:29 |  #11

To be honest, depending on what you mean by "automotive photography", I would consider a few things. If you're talking more of something like car profile pics (car portraits so-to-speak), I'd personally just go for a decent lighting setup - a strobe, softbox, stand, power source, pocket wizards, etc...

I know you're asking about a lens, but personally I think your arsenal is good for profile shots. If you're trying to get racing shots, I'd sell the 200 f4, get a 200 f2.8 mark II, OR keep it and save more for a supertele. That's just me though. To each their own. Photography is an art, it just all depends on your style, subjects, and what you're going for.

|Sony A7 / Sony 35mm 2.8|

sponsored links

4,752 views & 3 likes for this thread
New lens
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.