Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shuttrbug Studio Scammers / Image theft http://shuttrbug.blogspot.c​om

dmitrim
594 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 13, 2014 18:43 |  #1

Another scammers and thieves:

Shuttrbug Studio, Lot 1-08,
Wangsa Walk Mall, Wangsa Avenue 9,
Jln Wangsa Maju,
53300 Kuala Lumpur.
http://shuttrbug.blogs​pot.com (external link)
shuttrbug@gmail.com Jerry Watson
Stole an image of mine and when I asked to remove, they ignored it and told me to fu** off

I filed dmca with google

Facebook (external link)
www.dmitrimarkine.com (external link)

sponsored links
SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by SuffolkGal.

Dec 15, 2014 10:10 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I see they have an email address. Shuttrbug@gmail.com

I hope no one publishes it in plain text so the spammers get hold of it.

Really not much you can do about this. You can work out how they got hold of your images and try and plug the leak, but a determined image thief is probably going to find a way.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,165 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 16, 2014 06:53 |  #3

SuffolkGal wrote in post #17333714 (external link)
Really not much you can do about this.

Actually, there is... maybe. Is the image registered? If not, no - not much you can do other than pursue the "take down" path. But if the image is registered, you can own their business.

Website (external link) |

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 16, 2014 08:02 |  #4

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17335535 (external link)
Is the image registered? .

please explain registered?

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,237 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 16, 2014 08:05 as a reply to  @ bk2life's post |  #5

Is your copyright registered? http://www.bitlaw.com/​copyright/ (external link)

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 16, 2014 12:54 |  #6

OP is from Toronto (Canada), in Canada we do not have to register a photo like you do in the US - there is no similar process, we are simply covered by the Copyright Law the moment we take the photo.

best you can do is file a DRM as the OP did, and if he wishes he can go after the infringer legally, but the fact that they are in Kuala Lumpur makes that a wasted effort.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,011 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2014 18:34 |  #7

Even if the photographer was in the US, and the image was registered with the US copyright office, and even if the identifying marks were removed, the fact that the infringement is occurring in Malaysia is going to present problems. Unfortunately when it comes to copyright, or other IP, you will have to pursue the infringement in the jurisdiction where it occurred, so in this case through the Malaysian courts, under Malaysian law. I believe that Malaya is a Bern Convention Signatory, so you should at least have some comeback, but it won't be easy.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 17, 2014 09:27 |  #8

SuffolkGal wrote in post #17333714 (external link)
I see they have an email address. Shuttrbug@gmail.com

I hope no one publishes it in plain text so the spammers get hold of it.

I see what you did there !!!! ;-)a

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 24, 2014 08:28 |  #9

If the wedding photo with the Toronto skyline in the background is the photo you're referring to, it looks like you might have some dust on your sensor...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 24, 2014 22:15 |  #10

Road Dog wrote in post #17348897 (external link)
If the wedding photo with the Toronto skyline in the background is the photo you're referring to, it looks like you might have some dust on your sensor...

Hmmmm..... the link provided in the OP doesn't work for me. Maybe they're gone (or else they're web host is in North Korea ;-)a ).

dmitrim
THREAD ­ STARTER
594 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 29, 2015 19:07 |  #11

their website works. Google refused my DMCA as they aren't getting paid enough to take websites down which THEY HOST.
Now, who do I complain to for refusing DMCA?

Facebook (external link)
www.dmitrimarkine.com (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 03, 2015 12:07 as a reply to  @ dmitrim's post |  #12

Think it depends on what you asked them to take down. I think they only have to take down the offending material (such as the specific photo) and don't have to take down the whole website.

If you only asked about the photo, then you might talk to a lawyer in including Google in your copyright infringement lawsuit. Or if you can't get to the infringers legally, then you could go after google itself. It is probably not the smartest idea, but I understand that the host accepts some liability if they refuse a proper DMCA notice.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,391 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 04, 2015 02:04 |  #13

MattPharmD wrote in post #17413572 (external link)
....if they refuse a proper DMCA notice.

Emphasis on the most important point. The DMCA requires that a take down notice be properly formatted in accordance with the guidelines provided in the legislation. You can't just send an email with "DMCA take down, biatches!! Them's mine take em down". If the notice is not properly formatted then the host is under no legal obligation to act on it and you can't sue them for not doing so.

So, question to the OP. Are you sure your DMCA notice was properly formatted in accordance with the legislation.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 04, 2015 07:52 |  #14

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17414596 (external link)
Emphasis on the most important point. The DMCA requires that a take down notice be properly formatted in accordance with the guidelines provided in the legislation. You can't just send an email with "DMCA take down, biatches!! Them's mine take em down". If the notice is not properly formatted then the host is under no legal obligation to act on it and you can't sue them for not doing so.

So, question to the OP. Are you sure your DMCA notice was properly formatted in accordance with the legislation.

He did say

their website works. Google refused my DMCA as they aren't getting paid enough to take websites down which THEY HOST.

Which leads me to think he wanted the whole website taken down instead of his one photo. My guess is that he didn't do it properly.

sponsored links

3,716 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shuttrbug Studio Scammers / Image theft http://shuttrbug.blogspot.c​om
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.