Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 09 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 00:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

u2415

novice2pro
22 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by novice2pro.

Dec 09, 2014 00:46 |  #1

For those in Canada, I'm having a very difficult time finding this monitor ( http://accessories.us.​dell.com …s&cs=19&l=en&sk​u=860-BBDY (external link) ) listed online anywhere? I know its been released but has anyone picked one up and used it for photo editing?

I looked at some early reviews on youtube and photographers are liking it. It's the updated version of the u2412m (Which will be discontinued soon I believe)

It's a great all around monitor and has a fairly positive vibe around it. Sleek, slim, and includes 2x HDMI over the DVI which was found on the u2412m.

Maybe this hasn't been released yet in Canada?

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,639 posts
Gallery: 131 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 09, 2014 01:24 |  #2

I've found the Ultrasharp Dell's to be great. I have the well respected U2410 for my kid's computer.

I've found pretty much all of their IPS panels to be quite accurate. I use the spyder elite calibrator and simply adjust my brightness to match my pro lab.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the U2415...its cheap at the moment going for $329.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

novice2pro
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 09, 2014 10:21 as a reply to  @ AlanU's post |  #3

I see you're in B.C. Did you order directly from the Canadian Dell site before? It seems this is the only way to acquire this model over here.

The u2415 isn't to be found anywhere over here in Canada. Not even online. This is crazy. -?

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 09, 2014 11:44 |  #4

I just got mine the other day! VERY happy with it.

I was using a U2311H and wanted a larger, 24" monitor... I was debating on full gamut screens, but I never had problems with my 100% srgb screen and colors/prints.

No stuck pixels, blacks are very nice and well, black... My u2311 has a more purpleish-glow to it that the U2415 does not have when showing blacks, which is why I mention that.

Viewing angle of course excellent... When the screen "wakes up" it has no real warm-up period like my u2311h has... I never noticed until they were side by side.

I like it far better though... I highly recommend it. Calibrated it with my Spyder4Elite and it hits 98% srgb as of now (still playing with settings to get higher). My U2311h only hit 95%, and both are rated for 100% as a reference. Colors look better on the new screen.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

novice2pro
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 10, 2014 02:22 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #5

Good to hear Invertalon. If only I could find it now over here.

The u2415 is PWM free too. So, no more flicker at lower brightness. Where did you order from Invertalon? or did you find it at a local store?

I'm surprised this monitor isn't more popular...

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 10, 2014 02:47 |  #6

You can order it through the US Dell site I believe. I put it in my cart and went all the way through checkout until the last step and it seemed too accept my Canadian address.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 11, 2014 06:21 |  #7

I bought mine from B&H... They must have had it on sale, too... I scored it for $319 I believe it was, free expedited shipping. Two days later it was around $350.

Also got 5% cashback from discovercard, so it ended up being $303 total or so.

I will be for sure buying another in the next few months and selling off my U2311H... :-D

As far as availability, not many places had it... Amazon only had third party sellers and a few larger stores did not have it. B&H was the best option at the time. Really great screen! I still am surprised how nice the blacks are compared to my old screen when side by side... Big difference, even with both calibrated. Just a far better monitor.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

novice2pro
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by novice2pro. (2 edits in all)

Dec 15, 2014 04:36 |  #8

Alright. I contacted some dealers around here they all told me "We're not allowed to sell this in Canada. The future may yield a different rule/response, but, for now we can't"

So looks like I'll order it from the Canadian Dell site using the dreaded puralator service..

Writing this for anyone else wondering or inquiring about this monitor :-)

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 16, 2014 16:41 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #9

just picked this up from TigerDirect for $299, with $20 off for using Visa Checkouts... great deal, and its backordered everywhere else til Jan 5 (per B&H)

how do you find this to be out of the box? i dont plan on calibrating it just yet (still on the fence about spending $160 for a Spyder4Pro), so hoping it amazes OOTB!!! planning to use with my late2013 macbook docked.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Needsnow
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 18, 2014 19:57 |  #10

It's super nice! To calibrate it using a ColorMunki Display, you have to go into preferences and uncheck both boxes that are related to the monitor. The profiled ColorMunki was super close to the factory set. A very nice update to my old Ultrasharps....

Canon EOS R

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
422 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 19, 2014 18:22 |  #11

I've bought 3 for my brother's office, and pretty happy with them. They look aesthetically pleasant and work like workhorses. We're a dell shop at work as well, and I've never seen one go down.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

novice2pro
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 30, 2014 02:23 |  #12

Ok, my u2415 came today.. and its truly amazing!!! Plug and play right out of the box, set up was a breeze, pictures look great on it, good colour representation, easy touch screen (button layout), no dead pixels, and great design. So happy I didn't go for the u2412m.

The pathetic thing is, even if you order from Dell Canada (like I did) they truck it in from the US. TigerDirect (Canada) isn't allowed to sell them for some strange business reasons. I ordered on the 19th and it took 4 days of trucking before it arrived here in Canada. Due to the holidays and what not there was a few days delay, but other then that all is great! :-P Plus it was on sale.

It comes with a mDP-DP cable. Currently using with a laptop via hdmi. Can't wait to try it on the Macbook Pro and mDP/DP.

That's great news to hear bikfoto! I'm liking it so far and definitely would recommend them as well.

Spats139
412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Spats139. (2 edits in all)

Jun 23, 2015 14:56 |  #13

Just hooked up three of these last night using DisplayPort daisy chaining. Out of the boxes two monitors were nearly identical while the third was noticeably a warmer, muddier color. I haven't tried to calibrate them yet because of another issue that surfaced.

A few minutes after getting everything set up the monitors began to intermittently go black for a second; not all at the same time and no pattern. Sometimes once in 15 minutes, and sometimes 3 - 4 times in 15 seconds. Looking at the Dell site this is an issue that has been reported previously. I've been on the phone with their technical support folks for a couple hours - actually on hold while typing this - trying to work through the issue. They've had me removing and moving cables and doing other things with no resolution yet. I did draw the line when they wanted me to take my video card out and re-seat it. We'll see how it goes.

UPDATE: Dell is sending three new monitors to replace the first three. Should arrive in a couple days and will see if that makes any difference.

UPDATE 2: This falls under the heading of "DOH! Why didn't I think of this sooner?". The screen blackouts were starting to increase in frequency and I decided to try something else other than just waiting for the new monitors, so I did the only thing that I hadn't done previously, I changed the cord to the second mini DisplayPort output on my graphics card and... yup, you guessed it, there hasn't been a single black screen since.

On the good news side, I'll soon have three new monitors from which to choose one to replace the one that has the odd colors, so hopefully I'll only have to pack one monitor back into a box to return. Also, so far I'm quite happy with the way the two "good" monitors look, and with the thin bezels on these models, it makes for a very nice three monitor wide desktop.

Dale

sponsored links

5,051 views & 0 likes for this thread
u2415
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.