Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 15 Dec 2014 (Monday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Macbook Pro Retina as my only editing machine?

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,999 posts
Gallery: 638 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 15, 2014 14:14 |  #1

I currently edit on a PC desktop that I built myself (Intel Core i7 2600k, 12gb ram, SSD etc). I use a 20 inch monitor and have no complaints. I use lightroom 5 and photoshop CS6. Also photography is my hobby.

My wife wants to free up the space where my desk and PC is. She said I can get a macbook pro retina (15 inch, 16gb, 500gb SSD version) if I wanted, but obviously the desktop would have to go. Ive always wanted a macbook as I love the styling of apple products (there, I said it) but ive never owned a mac computer (got an ipad). This isnt intended to be a mac Vs PC thread.

Im hesitant as im worried that I would end up getting frustrated with the fact that all my editing had to be done on a 15.4 inch screen. Any thoughts on this that can help me make the decision. Do any of you do all your editing on your macbook? and if so do you sometimes which you had a bigger screen?

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

sponsored links
Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,297 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 15, 2014 15:13 |  #2

I do most of my importing, sorting and editing on a 13 inch MBP retina and I find it quite efficient. There are times when I use my older 27 inch iMac as an external display for more important edits or bigger jobs. Not because I find I get better results but I just appreciate the extra real estate. On the smaller display editing involves the on/off cycling of Lightroom panels and going full screen often which is something I don't usually have to contend with on the larger display. I think a 15 inch would be OK.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,987 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Dec 15, 2014 15:16 |  #3

xpfloyd wrote in post #17334217 (external link)
I currently edit on a PC desktop that I built myself (Intel Core i7 2600k, 12gb ram, SSD etc). I use a 20 inch monitor and have no complaints. I use lightroom 5 and photoshop CS6. Also photography is my hobby.

My wife wants to free up the space where my desk and PC is. She said I can get a macbook pro retina (15 inch, 16gb, 500gb SSD version) if I wanted, but obviously the desktop would have to go. Ive always wanted a macbook as I love the styling of apple products (there, I said it) but ive never owned a mac computer (got an ipad). This isnt intended to be a mac Vs PC thread.

Im hesitant as im worried that I would end up getting frustrated with the fact that all my editing had to be done on a 15.4 inch screen. Any thoughts on this that can help me make the decision. Do any of you do all your editing on your macbook? and if so do you sometimes which you had a bigger screen?

I currently do all of my work on a macbook pro 15.4. Have done so for 3 years now. Here is where i stand.

I love the machine. I do everything on it however i will be changing my setup in the next year or two. 27 inch imac and 13 inch macbook pro. Why? I purchased the 15 to be a desktop replacement and my travel laptop. Well i got tired of lugging it around and it just sits on my desk. Where i wish i had a larger screen. My fiancee has a 13 inch macbook and its perfect for taking around.

So those are my opinions in terms of how i see the 15 inch line. Its great if you want a larger screen and if you want to be able to move it around from time to time. However, for a dedicated desktop replacement i would go imac. That thing is beautiful (there i said it). :)

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

Eddie
THREAD ­ STARTER
xpfloyd lookalike
13,999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 15, 2014 15:17 |  #4

Thanks. I thought if I ever had the chance to purchase a macbook I would jump right on it so this hesitance wasnt expected :)

Im thinking the benefits of a laptop and not being restricted to the one location for editing should hopefully outweigh the slight negative of a smaller screen

vipergts831
43,987 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 15, 2014 15:22 |  #5

Then go for it man. It has its pluses. I love taking the macbook to the coffee shop early in the morning and doing edits there. Lugging an imac there would just be odd LOL

Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

Eddie
THREAD ­ STARTER
xpfloyd lookalike
13,999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 15, 2014 15:50 |  #6

vipergts831 wrote in post #17334348 (external link)
Then go for it man. It has its pluses. I love taking the macbook to the coffee shop early in the morning and doing edits there. Lugging an imac there would just be odd LOL

lol.

I think im worried as there is no middle ground. If I get the macbook the desktop is gone. Its not like id still have it to do editing on should the need arise. Ill sleep on it I think

vipergts831
43,987 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 15, 2014 16:00 |  #7

xpfloyd wrote in post #17334391 (external link)
lol.

I think im worried as there is no middle ground. If I get the macbook the desktop is gone. Its not like id still have it to do editing on should the need arise. Ill sleep on it I think

Remember if you do need a larger screen you could just purchase one and connect it to the macbook :)

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 15, 2014 16:03 |  #8

I use my 15"rMBP as my only editing station. It gets the job done but to be honest, more screen real estate would be really nice.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Eddie
THREAD ­ STARTER
xpfloyd lookalike
13,999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 15, 2014 16:04 |  #9

I already own a screen, but the deal on the table is if I want a MacBook the desktop goes. Mrs xpfloyd wouldn't be too happy if I then setup the monitor somewhere again as a permanent feature

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 15, 2014 17:37 |  #10

well, all I can say is going from whatever scree size you have, to a 15" is a bit "shocking". The retina display is beautiful, its just small.

Id try to work out a deal where you could upgrade to a nice sized screen in the future. It wont take up too much space

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 16, 2014 05:40 |  #11

“That’ll do pig, that’ll do”
:D

My 15” rMBP has mostly become my primary editing machine lately. I have a Mac Mini with a 30” HP that’s supposed to be my primary editing computer, but even loaded with 16GB of RAM, it’s still slow. That and I’m rarely home anymore. Between going from work to school, to the girlfriend’s and shooting in between, I’m editing on the road.

I find the 15” to be adequate and my prints look just fine compared to the screen. I do carry a mouse with me because other than just simple edits, anything more complicated becomes a real pain with a track pad.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

BornForThis
55 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Dec 17, 2014 02:00 |  #12

I will go against the majority here. I used to just use a mbp for editing.. But it didn't last long. I personally need to have a nice 27+ inch monitor.

But many don't seem to have an issue with it, so I'd still go for it if you want to please your wife :p

The ­ "Canon ­ 7D" ­ Kid
111 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 17, 2014 09:56 |  #13

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This is the type of set up that I will eventually go with. might do it today if I can find a good deal. anything from a 22" - 27".

Canon 5D Mark III (Gripped), Canon 7D (Gripped), 70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS II USM, 24-105 L, 28-135mm, 75-300mm, 50mm 1.8, 580 EXII, Canon ST-E3-RT, Canon 600EX-RT X's 3 And not nearly enough time/good weather to enjoy it.

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by ekinnyc.

Dec 17, 2014 10:21 |  #14

The Canon 7D Kid wrote in post #17337611 (external link)
=The "Canon 7D" Kid;17337611]
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by The "Canon 7D" Kid in
./showthread.php?p=173​37611&i=i68903000
forum: Computers

This is the type of set up that I will eventually go with. might do it today if I can find a good deal. anything from a 22" - 27".

thats awesome!!! this is what i am trying to go for myself as well. just picked up the dell U2415

to OP. i used to use a 13" macbook for editing, which was fine for me for the last couple of years. just picked up a retina MBP, which made me re-think all of my photo edits from the last couple of years. i think the retina screen is good for editing, but i am still rolling with an external display. i figure it doesnt cost me that much to have the added benefit of a calibrated display and i can still happily edit on the rMBP screen on the go.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Eddie
THREAD ­ STARTER
xpfloyd lookalike
13,999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 17, 2014 10:23 |  #15

The Canon 7D Kid wrote in post #17337611 (external link)
=The "Canon 7D" Kid;17337611]
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by The "Canon 7D" Kid in
./showthread.php?p=173​37611&i=i68903000
forum: Computers

Nice clean setup

sponsored links

6,877 views & 7 likes for this thread
Macbook Pro Retina as my only editing machine?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.