Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 16:12
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "At what age did you really start photography?"
0-5 years old
3.4%
6-10 years old
16%
11-15
19.3%
16-20 years old
24.4%
21-25 years old
13%
26-30 years old
8.4%
31-35 years old
7.1%
36-40 years old
2.1%
41-45 years old
2.5%
46-50 years old
0.8%
51-55 years old
2.1%
56-60 years old
0.4%
61-65 years old
0.4%
66-70 years old
0%
71+ years old
0%

238 voters, 238 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

At what age did you start photography? Please tell us your story.

pixl8r
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 24, 2013 11:24 |  #61

Had always been into nature / hiking since childhood. Had a variety of decent binoculars and spotting scopes.
At age 20, bought a K1000 with a 50mm f/2. Shot mostly landscapes and some flora... and, of course, obligatory sunsets.
3 years later, bought F65 and a cheap 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 zoom, and moved toward wildlife, my true passion. Took lots of crappy shots, but a few gems.
4 years after that, bought a D90, initially still using the cheap 300mm zoom, but eventually variety of DX and FX lenses.
Digital really allowed for gaining lots of experience. Made every mistake in a hurry; figured out the do's and dont's, and got much better at tracking wildlife.
Age 31, using mainly D7100 and 600mm f/4. GF uses D5100 and 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 zoom or 105mm f/2.8 macro, and we spend most weekends in the brush together.

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 24, 2013 14:32 |  #62

I was a late bloomer. I "really" started in my 30's. While I always remember snapping photos, that's what they were. Just snap shots with a point and shoot's.

I bought my first "real" camera back in 2006. It was a used and banged up original Digital Rebel. Man, has it been 7 years since I started? Time flies!!!

photographyguy74
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 25, 2013 23:01 |  #63

I did not get into and start learning about photography until 2008. I used to use the disposable film cameras back during the eighties but I would not call that photography.

G-1000
98 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 02, 2014 19:12 |  #64

took a photography class back 90' in HS did alot of shooting b/w film during that time period because of the class. after that I used a few point & shoot camera's shooting occasionally nothing serious until 08' when I picked up my first dslr. now I shoot on the regular.

T3i | 24-70L I | 50mm 1.8 I | 40mm | 28mm 1.8 | 550EX |  | Aperture 8 | Lightroom 5
The Rest Of My Gear
my flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,718 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 02, 2014 19:22 |  #65

While in that 16-20 age group I worked for a professional who also owned a retail camera store in northern Ohio. When I graduated high school (1961) and went off to college he gave me a Kodak Retina III large C, one of the last great "folders" made in Germany for Kodak. My employer also gave me a full complement of Schneider Kreuznach lenses. The camera is still 100% functional to this day and can deliver stunning images.

BlackParrot
186 posts
Joined May 2013

Jan 02, 2014 20:35 |  #66

I bought my first camera in '77 at 11 from a garage sale for $5. Kodak No. 1 Diomatic 100mm, and I still have it. See pic below. haha I didn't really have anyone to teach me so I read books on it.
My first pro job was at 18, taking product photos for Yale Trucking. Not the sexiest job, but paid the bills and taught me processing and printing my own stuff. Canon AE-1, was my first real camera. I stopped about 18 years ago, any bought my first DSLR last May. Wow, a lot changed since I used my Nikon 6006! It's pretty cool and I'm back into it only as a hobby.
This year I'm planning some excursions here and abroad, just backpacking and taking photos. It's really a part of me I wish I hadn't let alone for so long.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/11721578804_0fd7118bf7.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …13161067@N06/11​721578804/  (external link)
IMG_4740 (external link) by jbellante1 (external link), on Flickr

1D Mk3 | Tamron SP 35/1.8 VC | Tamron SP 85/1.8 VC
Flickr (external link)

B.Toews
780 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 03, 2014 10:26 |  #67

I was around 7-8 when I got my first camera. It was a film Canon p&s, which I shot with occasionally. When I was 12, I was given my first digital camera as a Christmas gift, a Sony p&s. A few months later, my grandma gave me her Canon AE-1 Program. I still have it, and it was the camera that really sparked my interest in photography.

IMAGE: http://btoewsphotos.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v82/p1794823844-4.jpg

Leica M3 | Leica M4-P
Fuji X-Pro1 | XF 35/2
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 03, 2014 11:00 |  #68

When I was 16 I asked my parents for a SLR camera, and my dad replied by challenging me to show I could "see" the photos. He gave me a Kodak Instamatic and with it I learned basic composition or how to frame the shot. After 2 years of that I was rewarded with a Minolta SLR kit - body, 2 lenses and a flash. I was 18 and in heaven. That was 1978. I've had a SLR most of the time since then - had my Nikon kit stolen when the house was robbed in the mid 80s, and didn't get another camera until digital was on the scene. I got a Canon Rebel XT, and haven't looked back. Right now I'm between full frames since I had to sell my 6D back in the summer. Hopefully I can replace it when the tax return comes.

www.photosbykas.com (external link)
my Flickr Page (external link)
500px.com/Kasrielle (external link)

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 17, 2014 16:27 |  #69

Just wanted to bring this thread back to keep collecting some more stories.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,977 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 6 years ago by Ltdave.

Dec 17, 2014 18:40 |  #70

in 6th grade i was the only one interested in shooting pictures for the junior high yearbook. 1976 they were Junior High or Intermediate schools. Middle school wasnt invented yet...

our advisor had a Canon EX-Auto. the camera had 3 proprietary screw mount lenses although she only had the 50mm and 35mm. several of us went to a yearbook workshop and i learned the beginning of apertures and the associated f stops. well i guess being exposed to it would be a better description because i dont remember ever shooting in manual. my mom was ALL NERVES when the teacher would let me bring the kit home after shooting a basketball game or other after school event where i couldnt get the camera back to the teachers room or the office...

i tried to buy an Argus rangefinder from the school (it was stashed in a pile of junk in a closet) but while the advisor and the principal both agreed, they agreed if the OTHER PARTY agreed but they never approved simultaneously...

i did that for 3 years and then went to High school and by that time i had picked up some used cameras (an old Kodak rangefinder) with a bulb flash gun that i ran a lot of film through. it was fully manual and i seriously have no idea how managed to set it because i dont remember knowing anything about setting the exposures...

i had a couple of Kodak folding vest pocket cameras along the way but got a Canon AE-1 with the ubiquitous 50mm f1.8 for my graduation gift, the summer before my senior year. i didnt shoot anything for the yearbook in high school but did a lot of stuff for band and student council...

in college i added a 35mm f2, a 200mm f2.8 and an 85mm f1.8. while i shot for the college newspaper as the Photo Editor and Chief Photographer. before joining the Air Force i added a 24mm f2. in the Air Force i primarily was a graphic artist but since i had worked in a custom photo lab/camera shop during my 2 years in college communications program i had enough knowledge all around (both shooting a processing) so i managed to test for a 2nd specialty code as a photographer. my wife at the time purchased a Canon F1-n body for a Christmas present in 87. i was using my personal Canon gear to shoot Air Force stuff along with the Bronica ETR-S kits. i couldnt wrap my head around the Nikon F3 system and i already had "matching" gear...

when i separated from the military i pretty much put it all away. i played around with a 4mp olympus P/S when our daughter was born and my wife wanted a nice DSLR. i got her a T1i, which i started using so i got my own except i accidentally got myself a T2i. then i upgraded to a 7D, gave here the 2 and we gave the 1 to our then 11 year old daughter. i moved on to a 5D3 because i didnt like the iq of the 7D and here we are today...

70-200 f2.8L IS I
24-70 f2.8L II
50 f1.4
5D3

i missed out on a 4x5 Graflex when i was in the Air Force because there was a lot of surplus gear in our shop and if the NCOIC had known i wanted one, he would have not listed all FIVE of them on the surplus equipment list. they were all "found gear" that werent on any gear list on the base...

-im just trying. sometimes i succeed

chris001
472 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 17, 2014 19:42 |  #71

it was 1980 when my dad gave me my Canon AE1 program, I was just starting 8th grade. I was previously using his Minolta SRT101. I was a member of the school's photography club and I took some of the pictures for the yearbook and newspaper. I mostly did the candid shots and school dances and some sports. I learned to "roll my own" while developing the film without burning the negative.

after school and into the service (Army), once out of Basic I took a lot of pictures at unit events and while in Germany I was given permission to use the Border Police darkroom to develop and print some shots for the units "war book" Those pictures did not come out so good because it was a by the seat of the pants darkroom operation. (no timer, no thermometer, no nuthin) LOL - but it worked good enough and I was given a award for making it happen.

my film days waned when my AE1P started to act up and after several trips into repair (the shutter kept breaking) I put my precious black body to rest and sold all the lenses/flashes at a pawn shop. (back in 2001)

now, I'm back into cameras and I absolutely love re-learning and remembering everything. Granted some of the charm is gone, not having to develop and print anymore, but the technology curve makes up for it.

I love it!
Back when I still used that SRT101 - and a Star Wars Geek!  :p

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Thanks!
Chris
flickr (external link)

JLRplsFL
20 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 17, 2014 20:09 |  #72

No great story really. I was in high school, freshman... the photo class and club was where all the girls were. :) I found out one was captivating and the other was addictive. You choose which was which ;)

James/Louis
5D Mark lll w/BG-E11
24-105mm f/4L, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
600EX-RT w/Harbor Digital XT Extender

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,068 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2014 21:14 |  #73

Started with snapshots with a 126 Instamatic when I was about five or six. At about the age of ten I started using my dads Praktica Nova b. He borrowed an old enlarger from a friend, along with a tank and spiral so that I could also learn to develop and print in a makeshift darkroom. I used the Praktica for about 5 years and then got a new ME Super I think the Christmas when I turned 16. As well as the photography I also got into cinematography, first with a Standard 8 A Eumig model, I forget which, but it was electrically driven, and even had auto exposure controls. I then moved to a Eumig Mini 5 Super 8 camera, which was much easier to use, no more having to flip the film over half way through. I was always a cheapskate though as I always used to run the camera at 9 fps, which gave twice the running time of the full speed 18 fps. Important for a school kid really, 50' of Kodachrome was not cheap. This was all silent of course, although I did do sound tracks on a really simple Philips cassette player, and mixed it using the stereo cassette player on the old mans hi fi. Dad did eventually get a Super 8 sound camera a Sankyo, which was nice, but as the sound head was around three inches from the film gate it made editing the film tricky. You had to record the sound from the film, edit the film and then re-record the sound on the film stripe, mono only.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

FJRider
132 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 19, 2014 22:04 |  #74

My Grandfather was a WWII combat war photographer. He gave me my first camera for Xmas when I turned 7 (50 years ago this Xmas) it was a Kodak twin lens reflex 120 if I remember right. Ended up with a 110 and may others along the way. Shot my Dads 35mm range finder for years and then at 22 got a Canon A1 shot it for 26 years and had a ETRS 6x4.5 for a while. Did my own color printing for about 5 years. A divorce in there caused a 5 year break in shooting. In 2006 moved to a 5Dc in the last 3 years I have built up a pretty good bag. These days I am going back and forth between shooting my cameras and my guns. I hope to retire in the next 4 to 6 years and then maybe I will have time for both.

EOS 5D, 5D MK II, 7D, Canon 28-300 L, 100-400 L, 70-200 F2.8 IS II L, 85mm F1.2 L, 14mm Fisheye, Sigma 50mm F1.4 Tamron 17-35 F2.8-4 and a few more

InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
20,559 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 19, 2014 22:20 |  #75

I started at the age of 9-10 around 1970. My godfather gave me a Soviet TLR the Lubitel. I took many square photos with it at school until university. I also had a Kodak 110 Instamatic that melted left in the winshield of my father's car.
I had a try with Super 8 movies in elementary and high school, first with a Kodak, later with a Eumig camera.
I pretty much was the photographer of my class. I converted all the Super 8 films to DVDs and have nice souvenirs.

In 1985 I bought a Praktica BC1 SLR with 50mm/1.8, 28mm/2.8 and 70-210mm Prakticar lenses. I only shot slide film since then, mostly landscapes and the family.
Changed to Canon EOS 300 around 2002 and then to the digital EOS XTi.

My membership to POTN renewed my interest in photography and now I'm shooting almost everything I see, everywhere I go!

Some simple photos

sponsored links

16,119 views & 4 likes for this thread
At what age did you start photography? Please tell us your story.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.