Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 09:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Deciding Between Canon 50 1.4 and Sigma 50 (non-Art)

wmcy
673 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 17, 2014 09:41 |  #1

I shoot a 5D3, mostly with my Canon 24-70 2.8 II. I am considering a prime to use as a general walk-around lens rather than always taking the much larger/heavier 24-70. Would like to get feedback on the Canon 50 vs Sigma 50. (The Art is out if my budget and a bit larger than I want.) I'd also consider the 40 Pancake.

Any experiences or opinions are appreciated.

Wm.

Canon 5D IV, Canon 24-105 II f/4L IS USM, Canon 35 f2 IS, Canon 100 f/2.8L IS, Godox 860 Kit

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,182 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 17, 2014 09:47 |  #2

I've sworn off the Canon 50 1.4. It might just be bad luck but I've experienced less than stellar reliability with several copies. 2 issues with the USM and one other which I can't recall exactly what the issue was. This is something I hear fairly regularly about the Canon 1.4. I've never owned the Siggy but I've never heard about reliability issues.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Reservoir Dog.

Dec 17, 2014 09:50 |  #3

If it's the weight the concern, buy a black rapid or any spider/cotton carrier system like, instead to have your camera around your neck

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

tongard
357 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by tongard.

Dec 17, 2014 12:34 |  #4

I just bought a 50 1.4 and really like it. Just remember that on theses type of forums you only ever read about the bad copy's and not the thousands of good ones.

The dof can be so shallow that people think they are mis- focusing and therefore have a focusing issue.
They do take a bit of getting used to.
I took some night shots the other night and they were amazing. I also found that at 1.4 the lens was quite sharp.

I leave the lens hood on 24 -7 to protect the lens

You will find that 2.8 on the pancake lens is a little slow for handheld night shots.

Canon 6d, 7d2.
Canon 50 1.4, 28mm 2.8 is , 24-85, 24-105, 70-200 f4 is
Sigma 150-600

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Dec 17, 2014 16:42 |  #5

The Canon produces great images but is very fragile, my focus system has been repaired 3 times. The Sigma, from what I gather, is another very good choice but may have some AF issues on Canon body.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 17, 2014 19:33 |  #6

I had the Canon version, didn't like it; poor AF, soft wide open, bad build, reputation for dying after a while and costing ~$150 to fix.

Sold it after a few days of testing.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,159 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 17, 2014 19:45 |  #7

wmcy wrote in post #17337586 (external link)
I shoot a 5D3, mostly with my Canon 24-70 2.8 II. I am considering a prime to use as a general walk-around lens rather than always taking the much larger/heavier 24-70. Would like to get feedback on the Canon 50 vs Sigma 50. (The Art is out if my budget and a bit larger than I want.) I'd also consider the 40 Pancake.

Any experiences or opinions are appreciated.

Wm.

Heya,

Between the two, I'd get the Sigma for the cost. It's just the better lens and costs the same.

But otherwise, if you don't need F1.4, the 40 F2.8 really is fantastic for walk around. That slight wide field of view is great on full frame, F2.8 is fast enough with the ISO ability of the 5D3 for light gobbling and F2.8 still offers decent isolation if that matters. Super small and light. And cheap. Very well made lens.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

wmcy
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 17, 2014 22:14 |  #8

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Lots of different opinions. I purchased the Canon 1.4 today. We'll see how it works.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's perspective.

Wm.

Canon 5D IV, Canon 24-105 II f/4L IS USM, Canon 35 f2 IS, Canon 100 f/2.8L IS, Godox 860 Kit

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Dec 18, 2014 20:46 |  #9

A couple of tips.

Always, always retract lens completely into the body before adding or removing lens cap, adding a filter, cleaning the lens or storing it in a bag or case. Or breathing near it. Get into this habit.

Never, ever remove the lens hood. This lens needs the added protection.

Do these two things and you should get a lot of use from it.

The lens is soft wide open, but sharpens nicely at f/2 and above. The softness bothered me at first but its actually a nice effect for the right application. Never had a problem with AF (when it wasn't broken).

Congrats! Have fun.

sponsored links

1,210 views & 1 like for this thread
Deciding Between Canon 50 1.4 and Sigma 50 (non-Art)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.