Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 19:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 F4 IS Owners...Test This Please!

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 17, 2014 19:41 |  #1

So, I got my lens from Adorama...really love the thing...great size, weight, good optics which are sharp from 24-70. Everything looks good. Only issue I have is the optical quality at 70mm with something close up. By close I mean less than approximately 2 feet away from the lens. At this distance the focus point is rather blurred. If you switch to macro mode (the start of macro mode) it is still able to focus at these distances and you get very sharp results.

You can see this effect here at the bottom of the page:

http://www.photozone.d​e …f/798-canon2470f4?start=1 (external link)

I'm just wondering if this is entirely normal for all copies of the lens or if I should be swapping mine. I mean...its not a deal breaker but it is annoying to have to remember to shift into macro mode if you want to take a picture at 70mm decently close up. The effect falls off with distance and by 3 ft or so everything looks normal.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

sponsored links
GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 17, 2014 23:15 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I don't own this lens, so feel free to ignore this post. The way I understand your issue, it is called 'residual spherical aberration', which means, the focus point shifts when stopping down at close distances. Near MFD, if you shoot wide open, this problem does not exist, because you are focusing and shooting at the same aperture. The further you stop down, the worse it gets. The good news is that once your focus is out to about 3', the deeper DOF covers the problem. The 17-55 also suffers (minorly) from this issue, and it is one of the best efs lenses Canon makes. The solution is not to stop down too much while focusing at 18", which sounds pretty easy. That is getting into macro lens territory, which this lens does quite handily from what I hear.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Sdiver2489
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Sdiver2489.

Dec 17, 2014 23:21 as a reply to  @ GeoKras1989's post |  #3

Nope not quite what I am talking about...this has nothing to do with stopping down...the lens is simply soft at close focus distances if not in macro mode. I've found a few other threads where other people talk about it....apparently the Tamron also does this to some degree.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 17, 2014 23:34 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Read Bryan's review of this lens at TDP. He explains it much better than I can. Link: http://www.the-digital-picture.com …L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 17, 2014 23:38 as a reply to  @ Sdiver2489's post |  #5

Rare are the lens with a macro switch, so if there is a macro switch it's because you need it ;-)a

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Dec 18, 2014 02:24 |  #6

I would like to test my copy, but I have no test chart to shoot;-)a

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,168 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 F4 IS Owners...Test This Please!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.