Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 12:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Renting an XT-1 for Christmas

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 16, 2014 12:48 |  #1

I have been a Canon on user since my first Rebel 2000 film camera. Finally the T2i kit has become just too much. I'm not quite sure that my hands would let me downsize to an XE-2, so I am renting an XT-1 kit for the holidays.

I've got the XT-1, the 23mm, and the 56mm coming. I really want to see if I can go back to shooting just primes, so this should be an interesting experience.

I will have my usual kit with me just in case, but does anyone have any advice for switching systems for the first time? I am getting this from LensRentals, so I can't promise it will even go back...]

One specific question, Should I shoot in JPEG and enjoy the camera's abilities, or shoot in RAW since I might need the latitude?

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 16, 2014 13:03 |  #2

I am enjoying the jpegs for now. You can always shoot RAW+JPEG to get the best of both worlds.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

knak
97 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 16, 2014 17:41 |  #3

Shoot in both. It gives you more flexibility and you can see how you like the ability of the RAW files. The jpgs are awesome though.

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 17, 2014 06:58 |  #4

Funny, I'm doing exactly the same thing. I'll have a week off with no travel, so I'm renting a couple of lenses and cameras to compare them. The XT-1 looks like it could be my next camera.

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 17, 2014 18:36 |  #5

I typically shoot RAW+jpeg with the jpeg set to whatever style I'm focusing on (b&w for example).
With this setup you can always convert that RAW image to any of the jpeg styles in camera if you get something that might work in a different style. This way you don't need to try to match the in camera settings in LR or some other program.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

Jelloneck
693 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 17, 2014 18:57 |  #6

Your rental is exactly my fuji setup as of right now. The x-t1 is great, I switched from a 7d/5d classic. I would suggest shooting in both raw+jpg but I honestly usually just use the jpg as it is really great, but I always like the freedom for editing the raw just in case. The only reason I still have a dslr (picked up a cheap(ish) 1dii) is for sports and wildlife now, everything else is done on the fuji. The EVF is great, I used them back in the canon s3is bridge camera and they have really come along way! Enjoy your rental!

Gear List/Feedback |Instagram (external link)|

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 18, 2014 15:18 |  #7

I'm getting an X-T1 with the 23/56 combo on Monday and I'm keeping it for two weeks.

I'm really curious to see if I can tolerate the shortcomings of mirrorless. If so, I could theoretically spend $5000 on Fuji gear next year.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

knak
97 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 18, 2014 18:13 as a reply to  @ mclaren777's post |  #8

I took the hit, bought the X-T1, 18-135 3.5-5.6, 35 1.4, 56 1.2, and 50-140 2.8.

I love the setup. I still have a better range of lenses of my 5D MK III, but I'm really enjoying the Fuji X-T1.

It's kind of addictive once you see the JPG's and how little it weighs.

MattPharmD
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 19, 2014 07:34 |  #9

Thanks for the thoughts! I am going to get my rental this morning and going to keep it till the 26th. Pretty excited...

rburgett
63 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 20, 2014 23:45 |  #10

I've been considering doing the same. Where did you guys rent from?

tandemhearts
583 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 21, 2014 05:35 |  #11

rburgett wrote in post #17343900 (external link)
I've been considering doing the same. Where did you guys rent from?

I use Lens Rentals. They have a 25% off sale in the next two weeks. I'm renting a Fuji XT-1 and I was wondering if they would get a chance to upgrade to the firmware that was recently released. On Saturday morning (7AM), I sent them an email about this. I didn't expect a response until Monday, I just happened to be thinking about it on Saturday. Around 10AM on Saturday I got a reply saying that they monitor their email off hours, but that the person who could answer my question isn't on duty. They'll get me an answer on Monday. Can't argue with that.

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 21, 2014 14:21 |  #12

My rented X-T1 will arrive tomorrow and I'm planning to upgrade the firmware myself.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

MattPharmD
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 21, 2014 22:25 |  #13

Had it for about a 2 days, and so far I am loving it. I am really impressed with the low light, and the files hardly need any editing. The 8fps is also pretty fun, especially with my brother's lab.

There are a couple of things that are taking some getting used to like changing focus points and the record button.

I also can't decide if I wish the lenses were full time manual, or like that I can't mess with the focus in auto focus. Speaking of the focus, it is really fast (faster in low light than several of my canon lenses), but the continuous focus seems a little iffy sometimes.

On a side note, I rented from Lensrentals, picked mine up on Friday, and the 3.00 firmware (the thursday release) was on the camera. I just asked for them to make sure it was up to date in my special instructions.

tandemhearts
583 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by tandemhearts.

Dec 22, 2014 06:04 |  #14

MattPharmD wrote in post #17345262 (external link)
Had it for about a 2 days, and so far I am loving it. I am really impressed with the low light, and the files hardly need any editing. The 8fps is also pretty fun, especially with my brother's lab.

There are a couple of things that are taking some getting used to like changing focus points and the record button.

I also can't decide if I wish the lenses were full time manual, or like that I can't mess with the focus in auto focus. Speaking of the focus, it is really fast (faster in low light than several of my canon lenses), but the continuous focus seems a little iffy sometimes.

On a side note, I rented from Lensrentals, picked mine up on Friday, and the 3.00 firmware (the thursday release) was on the camera. I just asked for them to make sure it was up to date in my special instructions.

I thought that recent firmware added a focus over ride ability. from the change log:

"AF+MF" function enables seamless manual focusing. After half pressing the shutter to autofocus on the subject, fine adjustment can then be made using the manual focus ring.

knak
97 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 22, 2014 08:13 as a reply to  @ tandemhearts's post |  #15

It does have the new AF+MF

The new firmware "AF+MF" feature is pretty cool, quick auto focus and then you can adjust with manual. You can see with the hi lights what is in focus.

sponsored links

4,474 views & 0 likes for this thread
Renting an XT-1 for Christmas
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.