Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 05:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Usefulness of books

gmm213
I know some really nice clowns
783 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 20, 2014 05:59 |  #1

So I have been researching books and find a 50/50 split on the usefulness of photography books. I have Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure and have ordered Light Science and Magic. Do you find that technical books help? Books like those two that teach you? What about books that are more artistic like The Photographers Eye, which teach but more about how to artistically do things? Does anyone read books about photography? I saw one on sale at B&N, Tom Ang Photography The Definitive Visual History, which looked interesting.

Im not looking for specific books, Ive already got a list a mile long if i decie to start buying, Im just wondering if you guys get your moneys out of them? Ex: I buy a lot of history and music books but refuse to drop money on computer books because what you get for the cost is ridiculous

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Mayhem # 3789333 (external link)

sponsored links
DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 20, 2014 06:13 |  #2

In this day and age, all of the information found in books is on the internet. If you've got the time you can access all the information for free from the web. If you need the information quickly and in consolidated form then books may be the answer.

Nowadays, I prefer my reading to be in electronic format.

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 20, 2014 06:14 |  #3

Books are nice if they have step by step instructions. Video also works for me. There is a plethora of video tutorials on YouTube.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

MichiTimm
837 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 20, 2014 06:28 |  #4

I'm not sure if they help or not, but I do enjoy reading/looking at photography books.

But I have a library card and a library that's about a mile away, so I don't really have to spend a dime. Sometimes the latest and greatest and/or the exact book I want isn't available or I have to reserve it but well... free. So yes, please.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,973 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 20, 2014 07:03 |  #5

When I was studying the zone system in college these books were so important in that journey.
The Camera-Ansel Adams
The Negative-Ansel Adams
The Print-Ansel Adams
The Zone VI Workshop-Fred Picker

And many books have been important in my visual journey.
Robert Franks-The Americans
Meyerowitz-Cape Light
Adams- Yosemite and The Range of Light
Roy DeCarava-A Retrospective
Several books by Ralph Gibson, Garry Winogrand, Walker Evans and Bresson.

tandemhearts
582 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 20, 2014 07:12 |  #6

I have to second the library suggestion. Your library has a web site so you don't even have to go in until the book you want is available. With inter library loan practically any book is available.

When I discovered that libraries do ebook loans it rekindled my library use. Ebook lending is done entirely online. So, I read fiction on my tablet, but I still borrow physical books for photography and some other topics.

MichiTimm
837 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 20, 2014 08:10 |  #7

tandemhearts wrote in post #17342673 (external link)
I have to second the library suggestion. Your library has a web site so you don't even have to go in until the book you want is available. With inter library loan practically any book is available.

When I discovered that libraries do ebook loans it rekindled my library use. Ebook lending is done entirely online. So, I read fiction on my tablet, but I still borrow physical books for photography and some other topics.

That's what I do. I go on the library's website and look for books that may interest me. I request them and the library sends me an email when they're ready. They also let me save the ones I want to request later in lists. The time I spend in the actual library is almost nothing.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 20, 2014 09:55 |  #8

Usefulness of books is the useful information they might contain.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 20, 2014 12:26 |  #9

I was largely self taught by books and by experience and shot professionally for 10 years before I went to photography school. There is nothing that will teach you as fast as just going out and shooting, shooting, shooting and then evaluating your results, but I still find books to be helpful. The main thing that I realized is that you need to find someone whose style suits the way you learn. I find myself recommending different authors to different people for different reasons, depending on how I think they need to be taught. For example, Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Cookbook author, also blogs about photography in a way that would make a 2 year old understand it. Lots of examples, simple analogies etc. Someone else might be a way more technical writer and maybe THAT is your style. The point is, you need to find that person who writes in a way that speaks to your learning style. So, yes, I do think that books have a place in your pursuit of knowledge, right along side experience and critique and coaching either through a mentor or school/courses.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 20, 2014 12:59 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Books all the way. Not only is it healthier for your eyes to read on a reflective surface instead of on a luminiscent one, but the information on a book is better presented and better researched than on some bloke's blog (though there are very good blogs out there). Sure, there's a plethora of videos online, but again, only a number of them are good —there're tons of people out there cranking videos with little idea of what they're talking about. Separating the wheat from the chaff takes time and with a book (which costs money to produce and must generate a revenue) a lot of that work has already been done for you.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,507 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (7 edits in all)

Dec 20, 2014 13:08 |  #11

I have a pretty good collection of photography books on a wide variety of subtopics, about 60 of them collected over a lifetime. Truth be told, there are fewer than 15% of them that I find to be 'valuable' on a continuing or repeat basis...the rest were OK reads at one point in my distant photographic past, but they did not contain useful information that I want to refresh in my head from time to time! A lot of books contain 'bits of information' but not real 'knowledge' that I would suggest to others! The web is just as bad, if not worse...anyone can self publish a web page, with no review by any editor or peers!

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17342663 (external link)
When I was studying the zone system in college these books were so important in that journey.
The Camera-Ansel Adams
The Negative-Ansel Adams
The Print-Ansel Adams
The Zone VI Workshop-Fred Picker

Especially The Negative! So full of key concepts-- applicable even to those not interested in Zone System processes, or who shoot Color. One of the 15% !

I agree with suecassidy...the ultimate is shooting, but especially when you do so under the 'old pro' like the old Master and apprentice kind of Master Course knowledge conveyance!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 20, 2014 13:31 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #12

My current e-book collection 142 items :) :

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2014 13:40 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #17343177 (external link)
Especially The Negative! So full of key concepts-- applicable even to those not interested in Zone System processes, or who shoot Color. One of the 15% !

Yup, with The Print right behind. My two favorites of the five.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 20, 2014 19:55 |  #14

Personally I find watching films (movies of the Hollywood variety) most inspiring when it comes to composition and creative lighting.

Peter

gmm213
THREAD ­ STARTER
I know some really nice clowns
783 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 20, 2014 20:09 |  #15

I ask this because I love reading. I am able to read at work, I have a lot of down time. I do watch some videos but my laptop has trouble streaming, it's old but it was free so it's good enough. But as I said some subjects have great material some have good material but.just aren't worth it. Maybe I'll look at picking up a few key books and grab a magazine subscription or two.

I also prefer reading hard copies. I still can't get into e books.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Mayhem # 3789333 (external link)

sponsored links

10,457 views & 7 likes for this thread
Usefulness of books
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.