Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whitewall photo printing

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 21, 2014 08:30 |  #1

Has anyone had their photo's printed at White Wall?

I want to get several of my photo's done for fine framing.

Don't know if their UV a Fine art print or their Epson fine art premium are the best way to go.

Comments welcomed.

Several of my pictures I am considering for framing.

https://www.flickr.com …55056358@N04/15​153126031/ (external link)

https://www.flickr.com …55056358@N04/14​324784649/ (external link)

Hopefully they are worthy for framing.

sponsored links
ETS
753 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2014 09:15 |  #2

viperbass wrote in post #17344193 (external link)
Has anyone had their photo's printed at White Wall?

I want to get several of my photo's done for fine framing.

Don't know if their UV a Fine art print or their Epson fine art premium are the best way to go.

Comments welcomed.

Several of my pictures I am considering for framing.

https://www.flickr.com …55056358@N04/15​153126031/ (external link)

https://www.flickr.com …55056358@N04/14​324784649/ (external link)

Hopefully they are worthy for framing.

They are indeed.

Fuji X-T2,5D MKII,Rebel XTi
17-40L, 70-200 F4L, 400mm F5.6L, 100mm F2.8L, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
580 EX II

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2014 10:11 |  #3

They are both really nice images, and I think both would look great. I have used Whitewall for a black and white print on traditional Ilford Black and White paper. It is really exceptional, and has something that just seems to be missing from monochrome images printed on colour photographic papers. I had the print done at 16×12 with the very wide border option. The print had a very small mark right on one edge, looked like it might have been caused by a roller during the processing. Anyway the were very prompt in sending me a replacement. You wouldn't even see the mark after the image was mounted and framed. So really good service. I also have the sample pack that they will send out to you which has samples of almost all of their finishes. It's very useful, and if you are selling prints is a great way to show customers the full range of options available. They include the aluminium plates as well as the images under acrylic. If you can be a bit more precise in your paper choices and how you want to display them I could give a better opinion.

Sending for the sample pack is a really good idea. Note that you have now missed the deadline for prints before Christmas. Lab times are around a week.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

viperbass
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 21, 2014 11:21 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #4

I want to place some art work along with my photos in the stairwell in my main foyer.

I want to get this after Xmas so I am just starting to research. I will get conserving glass on the framing as the stairwell gets much sun.

I have other photos framed which I had printed at Ritz photo. They are all glossy type prints.

I want the best prints I can get. I assume the shimmering pearl gloss is my best option. I don't think the matte paper would work.

Thanks for all the comments.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2014 16:00 |  #5

In that case and looking at the two images you posted I would think that you would be best having them printed as a lightjet print on Kodak High Gloss metallic paper. Although that is actually a chemical photographic process, not inkjet. This gives a shimmering effect as you/the image move. and is very good especially when you have some bright well saturated colours in your images. If you can afford to wait a bit I really recommend getting the test samples. They are free except for P&P.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
870 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 21, 2014 23:07 |  #6

I've used Whitewall and they do very nice work. I wish though that they used ROES or something equivalent so that there was some ability for instructions to be passed to them. For example, there seems to be no way to ask for them to print at a specific DPI. Their Lightjet can print at 200 or 300 DPI. If I'm taking a 5D3 image to, say, 24" wide I'd like it printed at 300 DPI, but if I'm printing at 36" or wider I'd want it at 200 DPI (as that's what I'm sizing it to in PS for output sharpening). As far as I can tell they print everything at 300 DPI; multiple emails to support got no response and they do not answer the phone. I'm also not at all crazy about having to convert to sRGB when submitting images.

You should take a look at West Coast Imaging (external link). They will accept aRBG images, you can call them and actually talk to someone on the phone and they are consummate pros. And they do phenomenal work (and package accordingly; Whitewall is known for not packaging well).

If you want those images to pop have them printed on the Lightjet Fujiflex. It's more expensive but totally worth it. You might consider having them print a 18"x12" as a proof just to see if your monitor shows what the print shows before going for a larger size. I know you want it framed, but also consider doing a a Fujiflex under Acrylic (looks amazing) or try a print on metal (not metal paper).

Before submitting to any printer, make sure if they require that the image has no alpha channel masks, 8/16 bit, flattened, what color space, etc.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

sponsored links

1,551 views & 0 likes for this thread
Whitewall photo printing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.