Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Dec 2014 (Monday) 04:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 6D vs 70D vs 7Dii

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 22, 2014 12:00 |  #16

The learning curve on the 7 D II is pretty steep when you are coming from a Rebel. The 70D is going to be far less frustrating and give you some coin to save for better glass

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
titans856
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by titans856. (2 edits in all)

Dec 22, 2014 12:08 |  #17

I also had a 450d with a broken kit lens (which forced me to use my 35mm F2 almost exclusively). I ended up getting a 70D about a month and a half ago.

At first I was pretty impressed with the 70D, but using it more I noticed a much higher miss rate than I had with the 450 using my 35mm F2. After a lot of testing, it looks like I have the center point AF issue.

I wish I had paid more attention to this and done more reading before pulling the trigger. You will likely not have this problem with the 18-135 Kit since it has a smaller aperture, but if you ended up getting a faster lens down the line you may find you have this problem. THIS IS NOT TO SAY it happens with all units--there are plenty of people that report they do not. But I just bought mine brand new and the center AF is very unreliable on my faster lenses.

The camera was purchased new from Adorama, but I am past 30 days and already have 3k clicks on the shutter (the majority test shots replicating this issue with different fast lenses).

I still very much like the camera, but I will need to send it to Canon. Just something I would keep in mind when considering a 70D.

electricme
472 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 22, 2014 12:18 |  #18

To muddy things up a bit I have both the 6D (love it) and the 70D (love it) each have a different purpose... hard to choose between either. I have not atouched a 7DII yet but with the pair I have I do not need to.

So my advice... get both :P

Sp2Pilot
52 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 23, 2014 20:09 |  #19

I came from a 450D to a 6D. Before I bought my 6D, I was contemplating getting a 7D, or waiting for the 7D ii to be released. Never considered the 70D though.
I have no usage experience with either 7D (i or ii). However, I have no regrets with my purchase of the 6D. The low light performance is outstanding.

Gripped 6D | Gripped 450D | EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50 f/1.8 II | 430ex II

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 23, 2014 20:52 |  #20

Given your casual purposes and not shooting sports or wildlife, and finding your phone preferable much of the time, maybe consider a Fuji X100S or the newer version. I own a 6D and all the good things you've read about it are true. Downside is size/weight. For casual use I am carrying smaller now (Olympus m4/3) and my Canon only comes out when ultimate IQ matters.

Just a thought. You won't go wrong with the 6D as long as you will carry and use it.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,260 posts
Gallery: 1676 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by MalVeauX.

Dec 24, 2014 01:49 |  #21

Kerrits wrote in post #17345509 (external link)
I'm having a hard time choosing between the above cameras, and just want some outside opinions.

I currently have a 450D, but have fallen out of the whole photography thing recently. On a recent trip I noticed that I tended to rather choose my cellphone for low light shots (Nokia Lumia 930), and were happier with it's results. The Canon has lower noise, but the capped 1600 iso means lots of blurry photos.
The auto focus of the kit lens also broke again, about a month after I fixed it. So, new camera time.

I currently have the 18-55 IS (broken) kit lens, the 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.8 and a 430EXII flash.
Whichever camera I decide to buy will include a kit lens. (24-105mm F4 L IS in the case of the 6D, and 18-135mm IS STM in the case of the 70D)

I'm purely a hobbyist, and like to take photos of everything. I rarely do sporting events, and have given up on wildlife due to the cost proper lenses. Whenever I take photos of people it's very informal, like friends around a camp fire rather than proper portrait work.
Low light performance is important to me, but mainly because the 450D is so bad at it. I also dislike using a popup flash, and rarely carry my flash with me.

Currently I'm leaning towards the 6D, but I'm wondering if I won't get just as good results with a 70D, considering that I'm not buying it for a specific reason.
I like the idea of a really fast frame rate, but rarely use it. I like the idea of lots of focus points to configure, but again I will probably rarely use it. The 6D is also quite a bit more expensive than the 70D.

Other things I dislike about the 450D is trouble focussing in low light, slow focussing (especially with the kit lens) and I'm not happy when I leave it to it's own devices in terms of selecting a focus point.

Any thoughts?

Heya,

Everything you've described leans towards the better low light capabilities of the full frame 6D.

But it's a little concerning to recommend something this costly, for someone who generally prefers their cellphone and that this is basically barely a hobby for. Makes me wonder if perhaps there's a different solution for you in the 4/3rds world by chance, or simply a higher end point & shoot. Maybe something like the Olympus E-P5 or the OM-D E-M10? They will not do the same ISO noise control that a full frame SLR/Mirrorless will, but they are better than cellphones.

Then again, there's also the budding mirrorless world with some of Sony's new offerings being quite good in low light. And there's also Fuji here too. These are pretty small compared to a bit larger SLR's. Maybe an option for you since you're not into sports/action and more into low light "everyday" stuff. Costly as well, but no mirror, and good ISO performance. Look into a Sony A7 or Fuji X100s/t or something too perhaps.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 24, 2014 21:28 |  #22

I have both, the 70D and the 6D. I was very happy with the 70D - autofocus, quality, articulated screen, touchscreen, etc., but I was blown away with the IQ of the 6D. It is in a different class for me, and now I use it almost exclusively. The only time when I pull the 70D out from a drawer is when I go birding, that is when I need "reach", as it was today in Everglades NP.

BTW, I started the DSLR with the XSi (450D), then had the 60D (never liked it for many reasons).

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 28, 2014 04:55 |  #23

Lbsimon wrote in post #17349750 (external link)
I have both, the 70D and the 6D. I was very happy with the 70D - autofocus, quality, articulated screen, touchscreen, etc., but I was blown away with the IQ of the 6D. It is in a different class for me, and now I use it almost exclusively. The only time when I pull the 70D out from a drawer is when I go birding, that is when I need "reach", as it was today in Everglades NP.

I would also pick the 6D unless you shoot a lot of sports or action shots

Lumens
445 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Lumens.

Dec 29, 2014 13:39 |  #24

From my reading I generally see:
70D -> more designed with video in mind yet still good AF and speed.
7DII -> Best camera for outdoor wild life excellent AF and high speed.
6D -> Best camera for Image Quality and low light performance.

You seem to be concerned about low-light; the 6D is the camera to go for hands down in that case. I own a 6D and a 7D and find the 6D in my hands most the time time even outdoors birding, Bottom Line I'm out there sunrise, sunset, and overcast quite often. The 7D just doesn't cut it in those conditions. I expect the 7DII would show considerable improvement over the 7D, but still the 6D does everything I need to do.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 31, 2014 10:02 as a reply to  @ Lumens's post |  #25

Weight and size for me are also important - I travel a lot, and I do not want to carry a bulky heavy camera for hours at a time. That's another reason for choosing the 70D and the 6D vs. 7DII and 5DIII. Here is the list (apologies to my American friends, it is in grams):

70D - 755g
7D - 860g
7DII - 1020g
6D - 770g
5DIII - 950g

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,116 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 31, 2014 18:33 |  #26

it seems like everything is done pretty casual...i'd just grab the 70D...being able to go higher in ISO will be fine for you...with the money saved you can buy a wider prime lens as well

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Kerrits
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 02, 2015 07:13 |  #27

MalVeauX wrote in post #17348633 (external link)
Heya,

Everything you've described leans towards the better low light capabilities of the full frame 6D.

But it's a little concerning to recommend something this costly, for someone who generally prefers their cellphone and that this is basically barely a hobby for. Makes me wonder if perhaps there's a different solution for you in the 4/3rds world by chance, or simply a higher end point & shoot. Maybe something like the Olympus E-P5 or the OM-D E-M10? They will not do the same ISO noise control that a full frame SLR/Mirrorless will, but they are better than cellphones.

Then again, there's also the budding mirrorless world with some of Sony's new offerings being quite good in low light. And there's also Fuji here too. These are pretty small compared to a bit larger SLR's. Maybe an option for you since you're not into sports/action and more into low light "everyday" stuff. Costly as well, but no mirror, and good ISO performance. Look into a Sony A7 or Fuji X100s/t or something too perhaps.

Very best,

I feel pretty much the same way. It is a damn expensive camera for me, and that is why I'm in two minds.
My digital camera history is 2.0 MP, FujiFilm A200 -> Canon S2 (stolen) -> Canon S5 -> Canon 450D.

I've learned that I much prefer a DSLR to a point and shoot. Even with the small fuji, before I even had a cellphone, I would barely carry the camera. I doubt I would carry another small camera more often than I would a DSLR, so getting a non-DSLR is not really an option for me.

I only prefer using my cellphone because the images generally look better out of the box. Especially in low light where the camera's 1600 iso is sometimes just not enough to get a blur free image. It just means I will have to look at different in-camera picture modes to get what I want from it. I will always have the RAW available for when I want to do some PP.

I bought an S5, which I barely had for 6 months before I decided I rather had to get the 450D. I don't want to make the same mistake where I buy something, then realise I actually wanted something else.
The more I read about the 6D, the more it sounds like it's a huge step up from most other cameras in the Canon line, with some autofocus limitations. It almost sounds as big a leap as the original 5D was, price/performance wise.

Kerrits
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Kerrits.

Jan 07, 2015 04:15 |  #28

So after sleeping on it many, many nights, I decided to pull the trigger on the 6D.

Except that the 24-105mm kit is listed as discontinued on one site, and everywhere else it's just out of stock. I couldn't even get a display model to get a feel for in the two larger camera shops in the area.
The one with the 24-70mm kit is just too expensive for me.

FML.

I will wait a month or so to see if anyone gets stock and then just get a 70D.

Edit: This is in South Africa by the way, so links to Amazon and the like won't help me.

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 07, 2015 07:56 |  #29

Typical!

Hopefully your shops will stock up soon; there's nothing more frustrating than finally being ready to spend serious money and not being able to find anyone to take it off you!
Good Luck.

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,116 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 07, 2015 10:01 |  #30

I think it was just announced that there is a new kit with the 24-105 STM, so those should bs coming out soon

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

10,794 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 6D vs 70D vs 7Dii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.