Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Dec 2014 (Friday) 01:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #513 - December around you

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by rpolitsr. (3 edits in all)

Dec 12, 2014 01:19 |  #1

Challenge #513 - December around you

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/513_thumbnails_chronological.jpg
First challenge after moving to the new POTN server and with the forums powered by AMASS! New tools, the same good group of old members. Welcome back :)

Comments in the order of appearance:
  • teekay – G15 – Preparing To Open, Dec 12, 2014
    The broom and cleaning work are great to transmit the idea of preparation, the ornaments and decoration put us in the Christmas season, the balance between indoor and outdoor light is perfect and the overall warm colors of the store are the final touch for a beautiful photography.
    -
  • HWolf – G12 – No wise men around here, how about three mushrooms?
    A nice picture of the old trunk, the green top and the mushrooms. I can barely trace the title of your photo to some old traditions in the northeast of Europe that associate pine trees with mushrooms, red mushrooms I mean (amanita muscaria) so, I would like to ask you why some people can associate mushrooms with December and the celebrations of those days. Welcome to POTN and the G-series challenges.
    -
  • Car – G7 – Christmas Fun
    The beautiful smile and the happiness of the little girl make this a wonderful photo, and the warm colors, the composition and the dark background contribute to make it even better.
    -
  • JimAskew – G10 - Christmas at Arlington National Cemetery
    An interesting perspective of the cemetery. Those wreaths in red and green tell us about the approaching Christmas even among the solemnity of the rows of white tombstones.
    -
  • Trumper – G1X MK II – Wise old tree seen everything
    While I was seeing your old tree I thought that somebody carved the representation of a moai (http://robinsonesurban​os.org/files/images/Mo​ai_1.jpg (external link)) of Rapa Nui (the Easter Island). :) It is a very interesting subject with eye catching colors that certainly speaks of December, Santa and Christmas. Very nice capture.
    -

As always, the winners were chosen from my personal preferences. Thanks to all for your participation.

• Car - first – G7 – Christmas Fun
    -
  • teekay - second – G15 – Preparing To Open, Dec 12, 2014
    -
  • Trumper - thirth – G1X MK II – Wise old tree seen everything
Car, you are the host and judge of challenge #514. Congratulations, and good luck!

Regards

rafael

description of the theme:
Let's keep it wide open. For most of us, Christmas and its influence dominates December. Traditional ornaments, home decoration, shopping, gifts, are part of our perception of this month. In some places, where we can see the countryside or the mountains beyond the streets of our town, landscapes can be part of December too. And songs, carols, people.
The main point is: Choose your subject in a way that we can say that the picture was shot in December as soon as we see it.

For this challenge only we are expanding the window for posting until December 22. Do not wait until the last day, let us enjoy your picture as long as possible.

If you need some help with the new software, do not post in this thread, use the previous challenge thread, or click my avatar in this post (the image, not the name) and click the button labeled 'Send PM'. I will try to help.

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 22 December 2014.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G7 X and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 5 years ago by teekay. (2 edits in all)

Dec 13, 2014 18:38 |  #2

Preparing To Open, Dec 12, 2014

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg

G15

HWolf
259 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Dec 15, 2014 08:20 |  #3

No wise men around here, how about three mushrooms?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

G12

Car
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by Car.

Dec 15, 2014 11:11 |  #4

Christmas Fun

G7

HOSTED PHOTO

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,445 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 15, 2014 19:39 |  #5

Christmas at Arlington National Cemetery

G10

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

Trumper
958 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 18, 2014 10:15 |  #6

G1X MK11 Wise old tree seen everything

HOSTED PHOTO

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 22, 2014 06:03 |  #7

Challenge #513 - December around you is CLOSED for judging.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 22, 2014 06:34 |  #8

WINNERS announced on the first post of the thread.

rafael

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 5 years ago by teekay with reason 'typo'.

Dec 22, 2014 10:42 |  #9

Congratulations to Car on the beautiful winning shot and thanks, Rafael, for the coveted second place and also for taking on the job of restarting these challenges.

Merry Christmas to all participants on these G-series challenges and all the best for 2015!:-P

Finally, here's another shot I had fun taking for the challenge but decided it wouldn't make the cut:

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/XmasCarolersOnBaker.jpg

Car
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 22, 2014 13:49 |  #10

Thankyou Rafael for hosting and judging and congratulations to teekay and Trumper.
The picture is of my youngest and was taken last Christmas at George Square in Glasgow. I really struggled with her eyes as she had severe 'red eye' and im not the best at post processing.

I will get the next challenge up very soon - can I ask about the closing date, given it is the Christmas break should this challenge run for 2 weeks again for should we go back to 1 week?

Carolyn

Trumper
958 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 22, 2014 14:43 |  #11

:lol: Well done Car and well done everyone.
My wise old tree.This is in the next village to us and everytime there is a special day somewhere in the world or an event the locals decorate it appropriately.When my now older teenagers were children we loved coming up the hill to see what it was dressed as this time :).
Alas the tree and the people who decorate it are now ageing and i'm not sure how much longer the tradition will continue.I wish i had a photo of every guise it has been dressed up as :)

On a personal note i like the competition as a 2 week window,gives you more of a chance to get a quality photo ,just my thoughts :)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 22, 2014 17:40 |  #12

Car wrote in post #17346219 (external link)
....can I ask about the closing date, given it is the Christmas break should this challenge run for 2 weeks again for should we go back to 1 week? Carolyn

I'd say keep it weekly ending Monday mornings as that's worked for over 500 challenges until the AMASS hiatus. Besides, over Christmas many people will have more spare time than usual to get out, work off some of that holiday fare, and enter photos.;-)a

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by rpolitsr.

Dec 22, 2014 21:32 |  #13

I think we need to follow the current rules as they are. New rules, new timing, etc. need to be discussed and approved by consensus before applying. As teekay said, the challenges have had the same basic set of rules for almost ten years, and they worked.

For challenge #513, I prepared the presentations (that are optional) and the comments in advance. Only the winners were a last minute decision to be sure there were no new photos in the last hours of the challenge. I closed it and announced the winners within minutes of Monday noon GMT with the hope that challenge #514 will start, as Car posted "I will get the next challenge up very soon" and end according to the rules, that is on Monday 29 December 2014.

Further comments on the rules, new ideas, discussions and changes, if any, can be posted in have its own thread:
Discussion of Rules thread.

Please go there, click FOLLOW THIS THEAD in the top right of the page and you will see the notification bar glow purple for every new post in that thread.

With all the rules comments in that thread, we will have this and other challenge threads on topic with the specifics of each week entries.

rafael

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 23, 2014 02:20 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #14

That is a nice picture of town activities in December Holidays, teekay, thank you for sharing.
Merry Christmas to you and to all the followers of the challenges.
I hope to say Happy New Year to all in the comments after the next challenge :)

rafael

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 23, 2014 02:32 as a reply to  @ Trumper's post |  #15

Trumper, it is a nice tradition that of dressing the tree following important events or Holidays. I noted the personality of the tree behind the Santa beard.

rafael

sponsored links

5,585 views & 1 like for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #513 - December around you
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.