Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 21 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alaskan Bears

JJ3
56 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by JJ3. (7 edits in all)

Dec 21, 2014 15:42 |  #1

Here are a couple of bears I was able to shoot while fishing in the Lake Iliamna area in Alaska in September. It was a little unnerving how quiet these creatures are and can appear and disappear silently. They generally didnt stick around long when we'd come up on them.

The first one we walked up on -- had been fishing there before lunch, had gone 100 yrds downstream for lunch, and when we came back the bears were having lunch. The second one is one that was chilling on the riverbank as we floated down river. The guide stopped the raft and told me I could get closer. After I shot this image I said "I think I'm good." No need to get closer!

[ATTACH]B[/ATTACH]

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Jeff81
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 21, 2014 17:25 |  #2

Nice shot! I seem to remember seeing a video of a Grizzly charging a raft. I don't think I would have gotten any closer either!

6D | Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art, Canon 85 f/1.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,052 posts
Gallery: 2261 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 21, 2014 19:37 |  #3

Great looking bear, I'm not sure I could have left until my card was full,..!! Great opportunity

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Talaska
604 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 21, 2014 22:01 |  #4

I agree, wouldn't have left till the card was full. Nice looking young bear though.

1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 7D, 1.4X MkIII, 2X MkIII, 17-40mm L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS Mk II L, 100mm macro, 500mm f4 IS L, 24-105mm f4 L, 580 EX II, 550EX

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,043 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 21, 2014 22:02 |  #5

Very nice shot.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

JJ3
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 21, 2014 22:40 |  #6

Still can't get the second picture to post -- guess I'll have to create another post.

Unfortunately this bear left me. She ate half the salmon and let her cub finish the rest and then both disappeared into the bush.

JJ3
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 23, 2014 08:02 |  #7

This shot is the cub of the first bear, plus a "teenager" to the left The sow had wandered off to my right trying to fish a sockeye out of a tree in the water.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 23, 2014 10:20 |  #8

JJ3 wrote in post #17344780 (external link)
.....It was a little unnerving how quiet these creatures are and can appear and disappear silently......The guide stopped the raft and told me I could get closer....

I am amazed at how incredibly fast these creatures can travel. The thought of getting closer would NOT have entered my mind.... Even though the pic was made with a 400mm lens, just looking at it sends chills up my spine. Incredible pic!

—Eric

sponsored links

1,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
Alaskan Bears
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.