Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
Thread started 03 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 12:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND bent toe (showing now: bent toe)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money8
Must Have10
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance9
Handling and Ergonomics8
User-interface8.5
Ownership Status: "previously owned"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Fujifilm X100S

Fujifilm X100S, reviewed by bent toe

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 03, 2014 12:13 |  #1

Where to begin? :-)

Well, coming from Canon 60D and 1Ds (the beast) i got tired of carrying around a bag full of gear... but at the same time i dident want to loose the IQ over smaller systems and other brands.
I had my beautiful 85 and other prime lenses, i also could borrow from my Canon friends who all had great L lenses when i needed those extra creamy photos for various wedding works.

BUT ever since i first laid eyes on the Fujifilm X100 and it's baby brother the X10 i been thinking about switching. But going from FF and the ability to change lenses to a 1/7 and APS-C fixed 35mm was not an easy decision.
After almost two years of reading, testing and thinking about this.. i made the jump. And to be 100% honest (and it might sound odd) i don't regret it one bit.
Most of my Canon friends are extremly impressed with the X100S and it's fast AF, great IQ and the perfect colors it produce SOOC.

The main reason i bought the X100s was it's looks... just like going on a date, the first thing you look for are the outside, you can't know the inside of a person until you've become friends/in love.
So it was all about the looks.. and boy is this camera sexy or what.

BUT i did not jump careless into this purchase, i'm one of those people that reads and watch EVERYTHING there is to read and watch about said camera.
I do this with almost anything i buy.

So there were no surprises really, i knew exactly what i'm getting on the inside and not just on the outside.

IQ
Fuji know there stuff when it comes to glas and sensor's, no doubt. This APS-C Xtrans II CMOS sensor are no joke. Look it up on places like dpreview, cameralabs, ken rockwell, ephotozine, photographyblog and such.

ISO
I set my auto iso to 200-6400 and the camera don't even break sweat, the iso is VERY well handled with little or no noise/moire.

AF
Previous model had some slow ass AF but with a few firmware updates it became somewhat better. I tried the X100 and i tell you, i could never be satisfied with that AF.
The X100s are so much quciker with phasedetection and the new sensor, if you need even faster for example, motorsport or sport in general, then this camera is not for you.

MF
Manual focus is kinda cool but i wish i could have a true BBF (back button focusing) like on my Canon cameras, it does provide a splitimage, which is awesome, that helps alot. And while in MF you can assign the AEL button on the back to do BBF :)

OVF/EVF
This is one of the main reasons i bought the X100s, i could NEVEr shoot with a camera where i stand out with my arms, looking on the back.
I primary use the OVF since it's so bloody good.. sure the EVF is good aswell but i find it a bit laggy and low res.
OVF shows exposure, iso etc so it's just like looking through a DSLR.

Body
Face it, it's sexy and sleek and practically a ninja when it comes to street photography, the leafshutter is SILENT.
My main concern is that it's not weatherproof and therefore i loose some great photos in environments with dust (MX track) and those cool rainy photos.

Sensor
Without going into technical stuff (read reviews and test sites, they show you all that) i can say, from my knowledge that it's a great sensor. The glas and sensor together with the fixed focal length are a match made in heaven.
All i wish for now is a FF sensor in a X100 body.

Battery
I don't use the LV at all other than check a few shoots from time to time. I got two battery's and i rarely have to change when out shooting.
I'm guessing i shoot around 400-600 shoots on one charge. A fully charged battery lasts around 1-1½ week depending on how much i shoot.

The upside with a small camerabody is that you take it with you more often, it fits in a coatpocket or hangs around your neck in a handcrafted leatherstrap all day.
This camera, together with the X20 (i bought it to have a bit wider focal length), have put more joy and ease in taking stunning and cool photos.
I encourage anyone who are in denial to atleast try it out for a week... oh and do some ISO testing together with pixelpeeping.. i dare you :lol:

Thanks for reading. :love:

/bent

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

hammaggot
32 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 24, 2014 17:56 |  #2

How do you find the EVF a bit laggy and low res? I thought the EVF was upgraded on the S doubling the pixel count. Please explain.

bent ­ toe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 25, 2014 03:59 as a reply to  @ hammaggot's post |  #3

It freezes when locking in af. And sometimes it just don't feels like it has a high refresh rate.
Sure it has a higher pixel count, but it is still not as clean as the OVF.

Find a store and see for yourself.

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,969 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fujifilm X100S, reviewed by bent toe
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.