Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 18 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 03:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d mark ii vs 1d IV

Weja
Goldmember
1,995 posts
Gallery: 884 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by Weja.

Dec 26, 2014 23:35 |  #16

Pixeltoys wrote in post #17352038 (external link)
There is no doubt 7D mk II wins

I think 7D mk II wins over all aspect against ID IV

Can you explain this,or is the only reason you own a 7d ii?

I can't tell the difference because I've never touched a 7d mark ii.

One thing i'm absolute sure : Nothing beats the durability and build quality of a 1d serie.

In these kind of threads people allmost allways recommended what they own.

Weja

Canon gear::arrow: R5, 5D IV, 600mm. F4 L IS II ,100/400 L IS II, 100 F2.8 L IS , 1.4 Tc.III , 2.0 Tc. III,
Gitzo 3542 LS with Wimberley head II , centre column with Gitzo ballhead.

sponsored links
Pixeltoys
48 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 26, 2014 23:58 |  #17

Weja wrote in post #17352201 (external link)
Can you explain this,or is the only reason you own a 7d ii?

I can't tell the difference because I've never touched a 7d mark ii.

One thing i'm absolute sure : Nothing beats the durability and build quality of a 1d serie.

In these kind of threads people allmost allways recommended what they own.

Weja

I sold my 1D II and 1D IV with some glases i've owned, then buy 7D mk II with no regret,
I agree that build quality goes to 1D , but i can tell it's a slightly better not much,
The 7D series has great build quality 4 times better than 5D mk III, you can imagine that,
I've several times using my 7D II in heavy rain, dust spot, or even sunbathe with no cover at all,
And never had any problem, i never use rain cover or something else,
My suggestion is rent a 7D 2 , touch it, feel it, and play with it, you'll love it,
ISO performance goes to 7D2 , although 1D IV can reach 102k ISO, but i realy sure most of us does not set our ISO more than 12800.
Detail was amazing, paired with good glass, you will open your mouth up to 3 sec's even 100% cropped
AF points, fps, no doubt.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,998 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 27, 2014 00:20 |  #18

I am sorry but the iso performance goes to the 1d4. The 7d2 is about 3/4, maybe 1/2, stop away from the 1d4 in raw format, depending on crop and resize. Those reviews have already been done elsewhere. Barring any video needs, and assuming the price between 2 used versions of these camera were within $400 of each other, I would choose the 1d4 over the 7d2. I would miss the better auto iso in the 7d2 though.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Pixeltoys
48 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 27, 2014 00:47 |  #19

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17352227 (external link)
I am sorry but the iso performance goes to the 1d4. The 7d2 is about 3/4, maybe 1/2, stop away from the 1d4 in raw format, depending on crop and resize. Those reviews have already been done elsewhere. Barring any video needs, and assuming the price between 2 used versions of these camera were within $400 of each other, I would choose the 1d4 over the 7d2. I would miss the better auto iso in the 7d2 though.

I tested ISO on my friend 5D2's set it 6400 Jpeg, i saw noise on that, on LCD camera with magnification view.
So what i mean is FF with an old age doesn't comparable with new model that have been modifiying their technology,
I think there's a class of APSC sensor, not all of APSC is the same,
Proc dual digic 6 is an advantage ,

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 27, 2014 07:48 |  #20

Pixeltoys wrote in post #17352241 (external link)
I tested ISO on my friend 5D2's set it 6400 Jpeg, i saw noise on that, on LCD camera with magnification view.

Unless your only photographic output is to show people the image you just took on the LCD of your camera, this is a meaningless way of comparing images. You can find actual reviews for what is possible with RAW files from many sites, and the results are as Teamspeed noted.

Checking the LCD of a 5D2 doesn't change that.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 27, 2014 08:30 |  #21

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17352227 (external link)

Maybe he's talking about focal-length-limited use. A 1.3x crop sensor should have exactly 1/3 stop less noise of all kinds than a 1.6x crop sensor, measuring at the full image level, AOTBE. That's pretty much what the read noise advantage is on the 1D4 at high ISOs, according to DxO. The 1D4 does not see this full advantage at 18% SNR, with a little less than 1/6 stop advantage. At base ISO, the 7D2 has more DR than any 1.3x or FF Canon. When you are talking focal-length-limited photography, then the 1D4 falls by 1/3 stop, giving the 7D2 about a half stop more DR at base ISO, 1/5 stop more 18% SNR, and about the same high-ISO read noise.

So, naturally, I would not expect the 1D4 to be better, noise-wise, in focal-length-limited situations, in a proper comparison. The 7D2 should be as good, or even slightly better in some circumstances, with more resolution to boot. Of course, anyone who compares the two cameras by looking at 100% pixel views is just being silly. 100% pixel view comparisons are only valid when the same number of pixels cover the subject in each version.

The 1D3 has more noise than the 7D2 at all ISOs but especially at high ISOs, even when you use the full sensor, according to DxO. Now, DxO has its flaws, but its main flaw in noise measurement is simply that they don't take noise character such as blotches and banding into account; only a monolithic statistic. The 7D2, however, has noise character about as good as it gets with Canons, so they may be underrating the 7D2 a little bit, compared to some other Canons with more banding blotchiness, or outlier salt-and-pepper pixels.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 27, 2014 08:38 |  #22

JeffreyG wrote in post #17352468 (external link)
Unless your only photographic output is to show people the image you just took on the LCD of your camera, this is a meaningless way of comparing images. You can find actual reviews for what is possible with RAW files from many sites, and the results are as Teamspeed noted.

Checking the LCD of a 5D2 doesn't change that.

The 5D2 is very bad with line noises and the blotchiness. The 5D2 was the biggest Canon DSLR purchase regret I've ever had. It was horrible at ISO 100 shadows, and banding became very visible in midtones at ISOs just above 6400. Should have been a US $1500 camera, not a $2700 camera.
It was a full-frame Rebel, with more base-ISO banding noise than real Rebels.

kris142
THREAD ­ STARTER
997 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 27, 2014 15:36 |  #23

I appreciate all the posts and replies. I went with the 1d. I picked one up last night with 90k actuations for 2000. I'll post pics of her when I get home.

|Sony A7 / Sony 35mm 2.8|

Aus.Morgo
561 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 27, 2014 17:39 |  #24

Congrats.

My 1DIV is my go to camera for anything that evolves movement, my 7D has been sitting in the bag for some time.

Gear List

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 27, 2014 17:51 |  #25

kris142 wrote in post #17353037 (external link)
I appreciate all the posts and replies. I went with the 1d. I picked one up last night with 90k actuations for 2000. I'll post pics of her when I get home.

You made the right choice. I used my 500L with both a 7D (MK1) and the 1D MKIV. There is no doubt that the 1D produces cleaner files - especially in the sky. Having seen comparisons between the 7D and 7DII I would still choose the 1d MKIV.

Yaryman
170 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by Yaryman. (2 edits in all)

Dec 27, 2014 20:10 |  #26

Just my 2¢. Shot with 7D mkII, 1DmkIV, and 5DmkIII last Saturday at the SF 49ers vs SD Chargers night game.
My impression was that the 7Dmk2 and 1Dmk4 had about the same amount of noise, but that the 7D2 "cleaned" up better in Lightroom.
The 5Dmk3 was better SOOC and after processing in LR than either of the other two cameras.
View the image comparisons between 7D mark II and 1D mark IV (external link)

Napa Valley Wedding Photography (external link)
ProPhoto Discount Code (external link)

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,823 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 27, 2014 21:17 |  #27

Keith, I'm not knocking your shots but this is why my second 7d2 is going back and I'll be sticking with my 1D4.

If you look at the overall shot, it is outstanding. However, when you look at your crops, what little detail you had to begin with, you completely lost in post. For example, Look at his knuckles in the first set. You have some details SOOC, but by the time you post it, they're gone.

Here's an a couple examples from me. Here is a edited and cropped picture taken 2 years ago with my 1D4 -

IMAGE: http://bradipock.smugmug.com/WildlifeandNature/Pintails/i-MmkbPRk/2/L/1D4-2023-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://bradipock.smugm​ug.com …ture/Pintails/i​-MmkbPRk/A  (external link)

Some kind of conditions as today, same distance but shorter lens. This was with a 400 2.8 IS and 1.4xII TC and is cropped to a 3.45mp image. Pay close attention to the details under the wing and chest area. Additionally it was pushed +.71 of a stop.

Now here is one from today. The only editing done to this shot was to change the WB and add a camera profile (I do this with 90% of my pictures). Additionally, I used a longer lens and the birds were closer than in the previous.

IMAGE: http://bradipock.smugmug.com/Other/1Dx-7d2-crop-test/i-rncbqLD/0/L/untitled-6318-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://bradipock.smugm​ug.com …7d2-crop-test/i-rncbqLD/A  (external link)

Just like your's, it looks good. Very pleasing most people would like it.

Now take a closer look -

IMAGE: http://bradipock.smugmug.com/Other/1Dx-7d2-crop-test/i-73Cgkvk/0/L/untitled-6318-2-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://bradipock.smugm​ug.com …7d2-crop-test/i-73Cgkvk/A  (external link)

After adding sharpening and masking in LR, there's no details on the back feathers and the heads look mushy. That's not acceptable to me.

Both cameras have pros and cons, but when it comes down to image quality and consistency, the 1D4 is hands down the better camera. Yes, the body can only be bought used. Yes, it's heavy. Yes, the AF system is a bit dated. But it's consistent and focuses consistently every time and provides superb quality images. IN MY EXPERIENCE, the 7d2 has not come close to being able to withstand this sort of cropping in real life use. In a studio, yes. But for me,the field is what matters and this camera isn't cutting it for the second time.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 27, 2014 21:21 |  #28

huntersdad wrote in post #17353462 (external link)
Now take a closer look -

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://bradipock.smugm​ug.com …7d2-crop-test/i-73Cgkvk/A  (external link)

Real question is, what is that slutty duck doing with those four dudes?

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,823 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 27, 2014 21:41 |  #29

I don't know what it is about this year, but we have a crap load of pinnie drakes and few hens. Everything else is about 50/50, but pinnies.

I guess she's playing the field.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 27, 2014 22:21 |  #30

Yaryman wrote in post #17353376 (external link)
Just my 2¢. Shot with 7D mkII, 1DmkIV, and 5DmkIII last Saturday at the SF 49ers vs SD Chargers night game.
My impression was that the 7Dmk2 and 1Dmk4 had about the same about of noise, but that the 7D2 "cleaned" up better in Lightroom.
The 5Dmk3 was better SOOC and after processing in LR than either of the other two cameras.
View the image comparisons between 7D mark II and 1D mark IV (external link)

Thanks for posting this

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

sponsored links

23,482 views & 11 likes for this thread
7d mark ii vs 1d IV
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.