Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 18 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 03:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d mark ii vs 1d IV

Yaryman
170 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 28, 2014 00:09 |  #31

Brad, I only had the 7D mk2 for the 2nd half of the football game.
Canon Professional services was there cleaning and loaning out equipment. ( they wanted to check out the place for Superbowl 50 )

It just looked to me that the processed 7dmk2 files looked better than the 1Dmk4 files.
And as I mentioned, neither looked as good as the 5Dmk3.

I normally shoot with the 5Dnk3 and 1Dmk4.

Napa Valley Wedding Photography (external link)
ProPhoto Discount Code (external link)

sponsored links
kris142
THREAD ­ STARTER
997 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by kris142.

Dec 28, 2014 03:56 |  #32

Well guys, looks like I was scammed. I'm filing a police report tomorrow and getting ahold of the guy. Sold me a camera claiming perfect working condition, which it all seemed to be, but it's now reading an Error 80 on the LCD and will not shoot. So pissed. I spent an hour in his house testing everything -- as I always do before buying anything off of anyone and it worked perfectly. Brought it home, worked perfectly. I was getting all of my stuff together for a shoot in the AM and tested her out one more time just to play, and now it is reading an error message with the shutter locked up. This is my luck.

Going to try arranging a refund in the morning, if he refuses then I will file a report and take it to small claims. I have emails, a screen shot of the ad both showing the lies which are now clearly evident.. his full name, number, and address. Also had someone with my who may be valuable to my case.

|Sony A7 / Sony 35mm 2.8|

Pixeltoys
48 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 28, 2014 06:52 |  #33

I just think in my mind , and laugh out loud,
Why people spent their money for used body that pretty much or maybe slightly only 0,00000001 better than new body, with almost the same price ?
Just open your mind, buying and old toys with many shutter has been clicked, then prepare to do your homework with no warranty,
I mean come on ,

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,702 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 28, 2014 09:11 |  #34

kris142 wrote in post #17353765 (external link)
Well guys, looks like I was scammed. I'm filing a police report tomorrow and getting ahold of the guy. Sold me a camera claiming perfect working condition, which it all seemed to be, but it's now reading an Error 80 on the LCD and will not shoot. So pissed. I spent an hour in his house testing everything -- as I always do before buying anything off of anyone and it worked perfectly. Brought it home, worked perfectly. I was getting all of my stuff together for a shoot in the AM and tested her out one more time just to play, and now it is reading an error message with the shutter locked up. This is my luck.

Going to try arranging a refund in the morning, if he refuses then I will file a report and take it to small claims. I have emails, a screen shot of the ad both showing the lies which are now clearly evident.. his full name, number, and address. Also had someone with my who may be valuable to my case.

Sorry to hear about the error. Have you tried any troubleshooting yet? I have seen err 80 caused by a bad memory card, a dodgy battery and dirty lens contacts.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 28, 2014 09:28 |  #35

You are going to have a hard time blaming the seller. By your own admission you spent an hour with the camera and even when you got home first the camera was still operating without throwing any error codes. I'd be upset too, no doubt, but on what basis are you going after the seller?

Everything worked OK when you left his house.

gschlact
1,318 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 28, 2014 13:51 |  #36

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17352227 (external link)
I am sorry but the iso performance goes to the 1d4. The 7d2 is about 3/4, maybe 1/2, stop away from the 1d4 in raw format, depending on crop and resize. Those reviews have already been done elsewhere. Barring any video needs, and assuming the price between 2 used versions of these camera were within $400 of each other, I would choose the 1d4 over the 7d2. I would miss the better auto iso in the 7d2 though.

84/85
Your post was more helpful than you realize. I have been considering both of these cameras with a bit of emphasis on my desire for better high 6400-12800 ISO. While also giving a bit of the hand wave equivalence / good enough for fps, AF, weather, etc. .

However, I think usability and ability to get the shot is more important for me than that 3/4 stop IQ improvement. The usability aspects now slanting me toward 7dii over 1d4 to get the shot in the first place include : auto ISO and configurability settings, Spot focus, wide frame coverage with 65 AF points, EC in MANUAL Mode.

Comparing, the 5d3 gets more close if FPS isn't a huge priority for me.

Only wishlist items that I don't believe any of these camera have:
-EL (exposure lock) In MANUAL Mode with Auto ISO.
-active focus point metering
-auto dot tune mfa algorithm (point and press) built into firmware.

gschlact
1,318 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 28, 2014 15:15 |  #37

kris142 wrote in post #17353765 (external link)

Have a look here, regarding error 80,it might help you :http://www.ronscheffle​r.com/techtalk/?p=110 (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,735 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 28, 2014 15:34 |  #38

gschlact wrote in post #17354395 (external link)
However, I think usability and ability to get the shot is more important for me than that 3/4 stop IQ improvement.

I really can't believe that the 1D4 has 3/4 stop less noise than the 7D2 - even if you use the whole frame - 1/3 stop at best, maybe 1/2 stop if you compare at 100% pixel view, which of course, is a totally arbitrary magnification.

I really wish that the websites that took and provided RAW test shots took FLL (focal-length-limited) comparisons, and I wish that DxO would have a third option in addition to "Screen" and "Print" called something like "Surface" for FLL evaluation (of course, you would need to take any banding into account, which they ignore, but the 7D2 is about as low in banding as any Canon made yet).

kris142
THREAD ­ STARTER
997 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 28, 2014 22:32 |  #39

I contacted the seller, he was very nice about it. He asked what exactly happened and offered me his good body which is mark iv better condition in return for the other. I took that one for a spin, and had him sign that if this one also came back defective that I would get all of my money back. This one is in much better condition and has less clicks on it.

He was a very nice guy, he was very understanding and just said he was going to have to send it to canon. Definitely an honest guy.
Anyway, I'm going to go play with it, cheers!

|Sony A7 / Sony 35mm 2.8|

Weja
Goldmember
1,990 posts
Gallery: 883 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2011

Dec 29, 2014 02:13 as a reply to  @ kris142's post |  #40

Nice to hear that everything turned well for you.
I hope you will enjoy this body just the way i'll do.

Weja

Canon gear::arrow: R5, 5D IV, 600mm. F4 L IS II ,100/400 L IS II, 100 F2.8 L IS , 1.4 Tc.III , 2.0 Tc. III,
Gitzo 3542 LS with Wimberley head II , centre column with Gitzo ballhead.

gschlact
1,318 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2014 17:24 |  #41

John Sheehy wrote in post #17354569 (external link)
I really can't believe that the 1D4 has 3/4 stop less noise than the 7D2 - even if you use the whole frame - 1/3 stop at best, maybe 1/2 stop if you compare at 100% pixel view, which of course, is a totally arbitrary magnification.

I really wish that the websites that took and provided RAW test shots took FLL (focal-length-limited) comparisons, and I wish that DxO would have a third option in addition to "Screen" and "Print" called something like "Surface" for FLL evaluation (of course, you would need to take any banding into account, which they ignore, but the 7D2 is about as low in banding as any Canon made yet).

John,
My point was that Even If the 1d4 had the higher number 3/4 stop better, the list of other 7dii benefits/features and their ability to help get the shot are still preferable in my eyes.

BR,
Guy

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 31, 2014 04:31 |  #42

kris142 wrote in post #17355188 (external link)
I contacted the seller, he was very nice about it. He asked what exactly happened and offered me his good body which is mark iv better condition in return for the other. I took that one for a spin, and had him sign that if this one also came back defective that I would get all of my money back. This one is in much better condition and has less clicks on it.

He was a very nice guy, he was very understanding and just said he was going to have to send it to canon. Definitely an honest guy.
Anyway, I'm going to go play with it, cheers!

nice that you could exchange it

Canon-Chas
243 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by Canon-Chas.

Jan 01, 2015 10:22 |  #43

Noise levels aside.... I rarely shoot wildlife above 1250 ISO , that leaves the superior tracking of the 7D MK2 which is up with the 1DX ,possibly better with 65 af points, and bear in mind the Dual Digic 6 Processors of the 7D Mk 2 compared to the dual Digic 5+ of the ID X.

A full frame 1DX limits your chances of getting close for a frame filler, assuming your subjects are truly wild? At 1/3 rd the price of a IDX its a no brainer for me, if tthe IDX was 1.3 or 1.6 crop I would have got one.

I now have both the 7D MK2 and 1D MK 4 using a 300mm f/2.8 MK II with or without 1.4X and 2x TC MK III.

Weather is bad, so might get out tomorrow.

I guess it depends on what you photograph, and the light available :-)

Happy New Year ;-)a

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.uk (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,735 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 01, 2015 11:36 |  #44

Canon-Chas wrote in post #17360409 (external link)
I now have both the 7D MK2 and 1D MK 4 using a 300mm f/2.8 MK II with or without 1.4X and 2x TC MK III.

Weather is bad, so might get out tomorrow.

I guess it depends on what you photograph, and the light available :-)

... or how big your subject is, and how close you can get to it. I have seen absolutely zilch for evidence that with the same lens, aperture, shutter speed, lighting, subject and subject distance, that the 1D4 gives better IQ when cropped to APS-C size. People's subjective assessment that "the 1D4 has better IQ" is irrelevant, if their assessment is based on 100% pixel views, or resizing to the monitor resolution with "nearest Neighbor".

I have a 6D and a 7D2. When I had a 7D, I brought the 6D along also when shooting birds when the light was low; the loss of subject resolution in FLLP (focal-length-limited photography) was negated by the lower noise at high ISOs. With the 7D2, bringing the 6D along is totally unnecessary, as the 7D2 is better than the 6D for FLLP at low ISOs and in resolution, and about the same for high ISO noise. Not a plus to be found on the 6D, unless I use the entire frame.

HAKIM ­ 82
83 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 08, 2015 23:38 as a reply to  @ post 17343778 |  #45

What is a far price for a 1D IV with under a 100k clicks?

sponsored links

23,474 views & 11 likes for this thread
7d mark ii vs 1d IV
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.