Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Dec 2014 (Saturday) 18:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light stand organization?

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 27, 2014 18:50 |  #1

I've managed to acquire quite the "collection" of light stands over the years and now I'd like to finally get them organized rather than just taking up space in my closet. I've found this solution from Manfrotto, but no others.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …7_Light_Stand_H​older.html (external link)

How are you guys storing your light stands when not in use?

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
jim_escalante
86 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 28, 2014 05:08 |  #2

That looks like a good solution, if you have the wall space. Several years ago I purchased a tall and fairly narrow plastic trash can. I store them in that can.

Jim

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 28, 2014 05:56 |  #3

Store all mine in a selection of Falcon Eyes LSB-40 (external link) and LSB-48 (external link) Light stand bags, matched up into 'sets' and ready for selection according to what I need at the time (they all live up in the roof storage space). The only 'loose cannon' is the Manfrotto 420 mini-boom stand which is too long for any bag I've found - this is esconced in an exquisite custom-crafted raw umber twin-wall fibreboard container with convoluted core and emblazoned with the logotype of the manufacturer (aka 't 'cardboard' box the thing came in from Italy).

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 28, 2014 07:15 |  #4

That looks like the answer to my problem. I guess it is time for a post Christmas shopping spree.

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 28, 2014 09:34 |  #5

That looks good and not costly.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 28, 2014 14:48 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Meh, I use a large waste basket.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 28, 2014 14:53 |  #7

This:

http://www.amazon.com …eaker-Stand/dp/B000CCXLTS (external link)

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

v35skyline
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 29, 2014 15:01 |  #8

Sounds like I'm going to order the Manfrotto solution, thanks for your input!

Gear List & Feedback

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,889 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 30, 2014 12:35 |  #9

And then you can use non-photographic solutions at a fraction of the cost of the photographic ones...

http://www.amazon.com …-8&keywords=broom+hange​rs (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,360 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 30, 2014 12:39 |  #10

Something like that would be nice. I could throw my stands, tripod, and umbrellas in there. Nice to take to different locations.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

paintedlotus
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by paintedlotus.

Jan 02, 2015 02:49 |  #11

Whortleberry wrote in post #17353843 (external link)
The only 'loose cannon' is the Manfrotto 420 mini-boom stand which is too long for any bag I've found

I have one of those, and if you'd prefer a bag to store it in, try a snowboard bag. Works great for me. :)

Although for studio purposes, looks like I'm gonna need to go get a rubbish bin.

Website (external link)

beauty, fashion, model tests, portraits

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 02, 2015 06:41 |  #12

I keep thinking that trash cans would be a hassle because I have stands of different sizes and even if they were the same size (or I bought a couple of cans) they would tend to get caught up on each other as I pulled one out or put one away. Is that not a problem?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 02, 2015 06:47 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #17357600 (external link)
And then you can use non-photographic solutions at a fraction of the cost of the photographic ones...

Oh em gee, great solution.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

v35skyline
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 02, 2015 10:07 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #17357600 (external link)

Oh, I like that! Just not crazy about having to drill 16 holes in my wall vs. 2. I'll have to think about this one. Thanks, though! Exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for!

Not a fan of the trashcan idea as my floorspace is already limited. But good idea for others!

Gear List & Feedback

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,889 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 02, 2015 10:11 |  #15

v35skyline wrote in post #17362099 (external link)
Oh, I like that! Just not crazy about having to drill 16 holes in my wall vs. 2. I'll have to think about this one. Thanks, though! Exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for!

Not a fan of the trashcan idea as my floorspace is already limited. But good idea for others!

Screw the 8 hooks on a single length of 1" x 2" board, then screw THAT onto the wall with 2 screws!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

6,158 views & 1 like for this thread
Light stand organization?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.