Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 14 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Woman Awarded $1.12M After Being Arrested While Taking Photos Outside a Military Base

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 28, 2014 13:15 as a reply to  @ post 17352736 |  #31

This is not a military base. It is a county-owned base and a portion of it is used by the National Guard.

sponsored links
ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 28, 2014 13:17 as a reply to  @ post 17353162 |  #32

I'm one of those taxpayers. Fat chance that a police department here will react to the concerns of those they pretend to serve.

Strontium
Durr?
7,411 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 28, 2014 13:19 as a reply to  @ ntotrr's post |  #33

I'm sure they will take your concern, to heart. In other news, they will bow to the mainstream media.

I am I

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 28, 2014 13:20 as a reply to  @ post 17353284 |  #34

Some of these amounts that are rewarded are done so for the purposes of sending a message. The message has been sent but as long as the taxpayers for the bill, that e police could care less. If the awards are taken from their pension funds, maybe they would change their behavior.

Strontium
Durr?
7,411 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 28, 2014 13:23 |  #35

ntotrr wrote in post #17354348 (external link)
Some of these amounts that are rewarded are done so for the purposes of sending a message. The message has been sent but as long as the taxpayers for the bill, that e police could care less. If the awards are taken from their pension funds, maybe they would change their behavior.

I agree it was a message. However, that message only gets twisted into "hey, I just found a replacement for slipping on a wet floor in a grocery store". The message that should've been sent is the police officer that abuses his power for political and personal reasons should be fired and never be able to become an officer, anywhere, again. He needs to work at McDonald's and see how the people he's espousing as 'better' than conservatives think of him.

I am I

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by ntotrr.

Dec 28, 2014 13:25 as a reply to  @ post 17354107 |  #36

I don't live very far from the airport. One thing to note is that even if signs were posted prohibiting photography, those signs and any policy they might have do not trump the woman's Constitutional right to do what she did.

Strontium
Durr?
7,411 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 28, 2014 13:29 |  #37

I think the point that her arrest was unwarranted is a given. Unfortunately, things like this cause me to avoid taking my camera out of my bag (I carry it with me, everywhere) in many situations. I'm sure that I'm not the only one feeling this, either. I'm not as unique as I once thought I was, at 15 yrs of age.

I am I

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 29, 2014 08:56 |  #38

Strontium wrote in post #17353386 (external link)
The media rules all. The media will report what it wants, not what matters. I don't recall reading about this story in the mainstream media. I'm sure I never will, either.

They control what the masses see and what they don't.

Lol. I always love 'I don't recall reading', 'I never saw' posts. They're pretty much always 100% conclusive that because you didn't see it, it never happened. :lol:

http://www.foxnews.com …case-took-photos-outside/ (external link)

http://nypost.com …2m-for-false-prosecution/ (external link)

http://www.theguardian​.com …ed-one-million-for-arrest (external link)

Those are mainstream. And the linked article even said they got the story from The Guardian, which if you're concerned about constantly eroding freedoms and government overreach is the news organization you want to be reading.

But the media is evil! Evil!!!!!

Also just typing in 'Nancy Genovese' in Goggle brings up tons and tons of smaller sites; that all link back to these three mainstream news agencies (because they're trying to hide the truth!!!  :p)

flickr (external link)

Strontium
Durr?
7,411 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by Strontium.

Dec 29, 2014 09:52 as a reply to  @ koala yummies's post |  #39

Well, that just shows how much I read the news these days. I still stand by my belief that the media reports things the way they want (usually with an agenda). Whether anyone else shares my paranoia, is up to them :) My favorite thing, these days, is when they call perpetrators...'victim​'.

I am I

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 29, 2014 09:55 |  #40

It's not paranoia if they're really after you.  :p

flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,136 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 29, 2014 10:47 |  #41

elitejp wrote in post #17353284 (external link)
i will say it again. Show me where to suffer such ingreivences for 1.2million plus and i will be more than glad to suffer it.
Personally i think the whole justice system is out of whack. If the purpose of the fine is to better train the officers/police institution then why not do just that by continued training.
Secondly i have always found that "a soft answer turns away wrath". In these situations i always wonder what kind of attitude brought about such conduct. Obviously i don't know, i wasnt there (unfortunately...like i said I'd take half that award smiling the whole time while in prison) but i can certainly surmise.

it really depends who you are. Infringing on the freedom of a millionaire may be wildly different than a poorer kid with nothing to go for them.

If I go to jail for such BS, my family would be out a bread maker. It could ruin my reputation with my company and I could lose my job, my kids out of private school ect. That would be a significant impact for my family, and you bet I would go for millions.

It's hard to put an exact number for your life, if you didnt have a job, and were wandering around the streets, 4 days in jail may not affect you much, but for others, it may very well get you fired, reputation ruined (till your name is cleared).

There should criminal charged filed against whoever allowed this gal to be jailed. Totally frivolous and should be checks and balances.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

elitejp
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 29, 2014 17:23 |  #42

Charlie wrote in post #17355789 (external link)
If I go to jail for such BS, my family would be out a bread maker. It could ruin my reputation with my company and I could lose my job, my kids out of private school ect. That would be a significant impact for my family, and you bet I would go for millions.

It's hard to put an exact number for your life, if you didnt have a job, and were wandering around the streets, 4 days in jail may not affect you much, but for others, it may very well get you fired, reputation ruined (till your name is cleared).

Really! 4 days in jail on nonsensical charges and your family is destitute without a home. Sorry i just dont see it. Of course, our lives are worth something. I agree 100%.
But if you think your taxes were well spent then to each there own.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,136 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 29, 2014 19:14 |  #43

elitejp wrote in post #17356341 (external link)
Really! 4 days in jail on nonsensical charges and your family is destitute without a home. Sorry i just dont see it. Of course, our lives are worth something. I agree 100%.
But if you think your taxes were well spent then to each there own.

not saying our taxes are well spent or not, that's really secondary. I'de be out of a job for sure, my wife doesnt work, I wouldnt be out of a home, but my kids potentially out of their private school without my income. Whether you see it or not, it's certainly plausible. I'de say the mcdonalds case is highly frivolous compared to jail time, which is completely different. Nonsensical or not, I can get fired for 4 days off, whether I was in the right or not. That's outright abduction as well kidnapping, serious criminal charges would be filed if a citizen were to kidnap and imprison someone else, why is this an exception?

You know the only reason she wasnt in there for more than 4 days was because she posted bail, a ridiculous high and frivolous amount that didnt fit the crime. Anyone else that couldnt post, would have been held until trial.

While the settlement may seem high, I treat freedom very high as well, and a gross abuse of power should pay out appropriately.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

darkamble
23 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 30, 2014 15:41 |  #44

well let keep the tax payers happy here, if she had been naked it would have taken 12 units of keystone cops to arrest her .

sponsored links

8,662 views & 2 likes for this thread
Woman Awarded $1.12M After Being Arrested While Taking Photos Outside a Military Base
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.