Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gary Fong Lightsphere kit???

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by CAPhotog.

Dec 28, 2014 08:00 |  #16

I heard Feta II is coming in 2015 so don't waste your money on Feta I.

(every equipment discussion is not complete without this comment)

When you have no way to bounce, use an index card + rubber band. If you want to spend money try:

1. Lumiquest 80-20
2. Stofen
3. Flash Bender

sponsored links
bhursey
439 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by bhursey. (2 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2014 08:56 |  #17

It is something that I pull out of my kit if I have a dark celling or nothing to bounce light off of.. Or if Im out side and need a bigger light source and don't have time. Or if I need a bare bulb type of light. For me it is a limited use.. I mainly just bounce when I have serfices to do it. For example I had to use the fong during a wedding when I went where the bride was getting ready and the roof was black.. LOL You can not bounce of a black ceiling and i did not have time to get out umbrellas and stands.

Cameras: Canon 60D and 20D
Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8, 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)Strobist: Canon 580EX II , 2X YN-568EX, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, Pixel Mago, 4x Cactus RF60 , Voeloon V760 and 331EX, 4x YN622C and (cactus v4, v5, V6)"
http://flickr.com/phot​os/bhursey (external link) | http://brianhurseyphot​ography.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,894 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2014 10:25 |  #18

bhursey wrote in post #17353971 (external link)
It is something that I pull out of my kit

1. if I have a dark celling or nothing to bounce light off of.. Or
  2. if Im out side and need a bigger light source and don't have time. Or
  3. if I need a bare bulb type of light.

For me it is a limited use.. I mainly just bounce when I have serfices to do it. For example I had to use the fong during a wedding when I went where the bride was getting ready and the roof was black.. LOL You can not bounce of a black ceiling and i did not have time to get out umbrellas and stands.

Is 'it' the Stofen?!

Look at the lens (face) of your flash, measure it and compute the square inches of area it presents to the subjects. Measure the Stofen and compute the square inches of area it presents to the subjects. It does a little to reduce the harshness of light cast on the subject, but it does NOTHING to increase the 'apparent size' to soften light. Look at the shadow edges in this test...

Wilt wrote in post #16077920 (external link)
windpig wrote in post #16076088 (external link)
I must have missed something in between the beginning of the thread and here. I thought the original question was regarding the Stofen softening the light, not whether bouncing it or anything else would soften the light.

you did miss something...the original thread question was 'Which way to point the flashhead with Stofen when no suitable ceiling?'

Answer:
It does not matter, it wastes a similar amount of light pointed straight up (light going backward) or pointed forward (light going down to the floor) and maybe a bit less waste when pointed at 45 degrees since the frontal area seen by subject is larger (by about 1.707x) at 45 degrees.

Then the discussion about ceiling bounce with flash only (in spite of the fact that the OP stated 'when no suitable ceiling'). This is where the thread got onto side tracks.

Outcome:

• It has some advantage over bare flashhead pointed up...it provides catchlights.
  • SMALL does not soften light; only larger apparent size 'softens'. So if there is no ceiling, there is near-zero benefit to softening from a Stofen.

For example,
QUOTED IMAGE
native flashhead only, or
QUOTED IMAGE
via use of a 'diffusing' surface no larger than original lens (example at 3') a la Stofen, minor changes in penumbra (shadow edge transition), and little effect on shadow contrast. Remember, these examples were shot from 3' to emphasize differences...but the changes would be minimal from 10-20'

QUOTED IMAGE
larger area modifier (5" x 7") at 3'

We are now in the weeds (what happened to 'no suitable ceiling' condition of the OP), why even the debate?!
With differing opinions: Which is 'better'?...

1. Ceiling bounce only:
    Facial 'modelling' due to shadows, no shadows cast on surfaces behind things; but somewhat darkish eye sockets and under chin, no catchlights
  2. Softbox or some form of forward bounce component:
    Catchlights, nice eye sockets and under-chin, less evident shadows cast on surfaces behind things; but little facial modeling due to absence of shadowing

...each individual chooses which Con's to ignore because of the Pro's. Different strokes for different folks.

This link was to demonstrate flash for synchro sun fill, but the hardness of shadows presented with or without a Stofen sized device applies even if there is no sun
https://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=12396412&postco​​unt=61

So purpose #1 and #2 both have little benefit from use of the Stofen in those situations.

CAPhotog wrote in post #17353915 (external link)
I heard Feta II is coming in 2015 so don't waste your money on Feta I.

(every equipment discussion is not complete without this comment)

So as to not have my massive revenue stream from the Feta I interrupted suddenly by this rumor (thereby ruining my dreams of ownership of a 14' Laser, and forcing me to console myself with my bathtub boat), let me officially state that the upgrade to Feta I is the Ice Cream I already shown in Post 2 of this thread, and not the Feta II!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 28, 2014 21:39 as a reply to  @ post 17319685 |  #19

You can do the same thing without a light sphere, just bounce the flash off of the white wall. As for the snoot, why spend all that money when you can just cut the bottom off a pringles can and cut it down to size, slit the sides that fit over the flash and there you have, your own snoot. You can also purchase a grid attachment for your flash for less than $10.00.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 28, 2014 21:42 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #20

Also try abetterbouncecard

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 28, 2014 21:43 as a reply to  @ bhursey's post |  #21

For that I use abetterbouncecard, fits perfect in my jacket pocket where I can whip out and attach in less than a minute.

sponsored links

7,479 views & 7 likes for this thread
Gary Fong Lightsphere kit???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.