Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blue wedding reception photos

lewisc
109 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 24, 2014 07:50 |  #1

I hope this is the right section to post this.

I recently attended a wedding as a guest and ended up with a few photos that are very blue. What are some corrections that could be done to fix them up a bit? I've fiddled with the colour temp a bit which I think works better. Anything else that could be done?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 6D
35L 1.4
135L 2.0
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TerryMiller
323 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 24, 2014 07:59 |  #2

The problem is color temperature. Lightroom has an eyedropper tool to allow you to pick the white dress so it can autocorrect the white balance. Elements has a remove color cast function that works the same way.

my gear: T4i - EF-s 17-55, Ef-s 55-250 is stm, EF-S 10-22 usm, ef 100mm 2.8 macro

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 24, 2014 08:31 |  #3

Did you shoot in RAW? If so just use your favorite RAW processor to change the WB from "Daylight" to "Flash".

Mark

sirquack
Goldmember
2,563 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 24, 2014 08:33 |  #4

Hopefully you shot in RAW. It looks like you accidentally changed your white balance on the camera during the evening. As mentioned above, use the white balance dropper tool to pick the white dress in the image and it should get you close where you can do some minor adjustments in color temp to get you to where you need to be.
I have seen shots worse than this corrected pretty easily in LR. I have not tried it in other tools, but I am sure most of the Adobe products have something that will suffice to correct the image.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Nightstalker.

Dec 24, 2014 08:48 |  #5

You haven't got IMAGE EDITING enabled (if this still exists) so I hope you don't mind my reposting the image.

I pulled this into lightroom and used the WB eyedropper on the collar of the guy's shirt (to avoid skin tones coming through) - a one click process - is this closer to reality?

IMAGE: http://www.digitalfotoz.co.uk/wedding.jpg

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 24, 2014 11:11 |  #6

I went for a bit more color.
PSE 12: Photo filter 85, 90%
Contrast curve
Saturation +30

HOSTED PHOTO

Elie / אלי

lewisc
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 24, 2014 15:33 |  #7

Awesome!

I was wondering what the IMAGE EDITING meant. I found the eye dropper tool and that has changed a few of them to some nicer colours. I'm shooting in RAW so there's a bit of room to move. It's also the highest I have pushed the ISO on the 6D. It was shot at 4000 I think. I'm happy with the quality that has come out.

Another thing I recall from the night (and I should have remembered this when I first posted), was that the lighting in the room was blue. That's why the pictures are blue. It's shot fairly close to what the conditions were on the night. Would it be odd to change the colour temp to achieve a nicer image even though it looked like that on the night?

Canon 6D
35L 1.4
135L 2.0
flickr (external link)

TerryMiller
323 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 24, 2014 16:11 |  #8

It's not odd to change color temp to get more accurate colors. Everyone I know appreciates seeing the tint from the ambient lighting removed.

my gear: T4i - EF-s 17-55, Ef-s 55-250 is stm, EF-S 10-22 usm, ef 100mm 2.8 macro

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 24, 2014 16:30 |  #9

lewisc wrote in post #17349413 (external link)
Awesome!

I was wondering what the IMAGE EDITING meant. I found the eye dropper tool and that has changed a few of them to some nicer colours. I'm shooting in RAW so there's a bit of room to move. It's also the highest I have pushed the ISO on the 6D. It was shot at 4000 I think. I'm happy with the quality that has come out.

Another thing I recall from the night (and I should have remembered this when I first posted), was that the lighting in the room was blue. That's why the pictures are blue. It's shot fairly close to what the conditions were on the night. Would it be odd to change the colour temp to achieve a nicer image even though it looked like that on the night?

Aha! I thought that might have been the case because when I first examined your top photo I saw that the red channel was very weak, almost non-existent in some spots. Way too weak for normal broad spectrum lighting. That's why I put on the red filter, to beef up the red channel. Besides, you get a blue image when an outdoors shot is accidently WBed with a tungsten preset, not (as in this case) the other way around.

Elie / אלי

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,194 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 25, 2014 07:29 |  #10

Personally, with lighting like this (blue!), I'd be converting to b&w.
I tried to correct this the other day and found virtually no red channel, (As you & Elie mentioned above). When I read that the lighting was blue that explained a lot!
You can't get back what isn't there :-)

Kev

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2014 23:58 |  #11

Or you could used camera RAW and do the same thing

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

TonyKInTexas
308 posts
Joined Oct 2002

Dec 30, 2014 08:59 |  #12

Yes, I found the same thing out just now. There is not a way to get this to what the eye would expect for the colors, especially in the faces.

NinetyEight wrote in post #17350078 (external link)
Personally, with lighting like this (blue!), I'd be converting to b&w.
I tried to correct this the other day and found virtually no red channel, (As you & Elie mentioned above). When I read that the lighting was blue that explained a lot!
You can't get back what isn't there :-)

Tony
Canon 7D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS and other goodies.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,210 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 03, 2015 00:30 |  #13

NinetyEight wrote in post #17350078 (external link)
Personally, with lighting like this (blue!), I'd be converting to b&w. [...]

Same here.

The camera is showing merciless the colored light, while our brain edits and corrects a lot. So the photos usually don't represent your own memory. Or do you remember the event as a blue event? With heavy colored light I usually turn to monochrome - you can add a bluish tint to it.

Donate if you love POTN

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,194 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 03, 2015 03:33 |  #14

A very quick B&W conversion - Looks better IMO...

HOSTED PHOTO

Kev

Nortonski
603 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 03, 2015 06:50 |  #15

^^agreed^^

sponsored links

2,987 views & 1 like for this thread
Blue wedding reception photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.