Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Dec 2014 (Sunday) 18:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking at either a XE2 or X100S or T for secondary camera for family take with me everywhere lens

cc1995
280 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by cc1995.

Dec 28, 2014 18:47 |  #1

I currently own a Canon 6D with some decent glass. 50 1.4, 85 1.8 and 135 f2 and was planning on purchasing a secondary camera to pocket or just something smaller to always carry with me for family shots when I'm out and about and don't want to lug my 6D around. I generally like to take portraits of my young children 3 1/2 year old and 5 month old and I have been missing opportunities at times because I don't want to carry the 6D all the time. The older child doesn't really stand still much being that he's almost 4 so focusing is somewhat important to me and I like more portraiture or just the kids interacting together, not much of a street photographer since I don't really have the time these days, more family oriented stuff with the newer camera.

So my question is which of these cameras would you recommend for someone in my situation, or do you recommend something else. The Xe2 intrigues me because of the interchangable lens thing, but I also like off-camera flash and the electronic shutter sync speed thing is pretty cool with the X100, but the wider fixed lens scares me with what I like to shoot. Also, do lens adapters work well with the Xe2 for my canon lenses?

Just looking for some guidance.

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,483 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 28, 2014 19:17 |  #2

Be careful, I bought an X-E1 for the same reason and eventually sold my 6D... having an awesome small camera I could take everywhere made the 6D collect dust, so I sold it for an a7R ;)

That said, either camera you mentioned should work fine for what you want to do, though the isolation with the X100s isn't that great for most subjects, it's the equivalent of a 35/2.8 on your 6D.

They make lens adapters for your EF lenses for the X mount, but I don't know of any that will have electronic contacts, which means no AF or AE. I could be behind though, I haven't looked for an adapter for my X-E1 since buying it.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 28, 2014 19:34 |  #3

Maybe this is not a big factor for you due to financial resources or whatever, but I've really tried to avoid getting into a different lens system, and I generally recommend the same to others these days.

The development in mirrorless systems is basically exponential compared to DSLRs these days. Every year seems to bring some new amazing development. But the flip side to this is that the format is still working itself out, and I"d be really reluctant to commit to a system and buy lenses at this point. Of course this is a financial consideration, and to some (maybe you) this is not a factor. But just something to throw out there.

As such I'd look at the X100s or t. That being said, if you have the discipline to just purchase one lens, Fuji has what I believe to be the best kit lens - the 18-55. Ridiculously versatile. I briefly had this on an X-E1 and it was great for everything from architecture to portraits. As a secondary camera, I think the X-E1 or X-E2 mounted with the 18-55 would be enough for most anyone, especially for the purposes you describe.

Of course if you don't mind committing to another lens system, then I'd definitely go with the interchangeable lens option.

e30mikec
105 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 28, 2014 23:00 |  #4

I am in a very similar situation. I own a 6d and a few lenses but I'm looking to supplement my kit with a Fuji x100t. I decided on the x100t because I don't plan on investing in a new kit of lenses, therefore the fixed lens of the x100t will be perfect for me, plus I love the 35mm focal length. I really thought this article on Dedpxl was informative when comparing the Fuji X series of cameras. Give it a read and see if it will help you decide.

Fuji x Buyers Guide:
http://dedpxl.com …ers-guide-part-1-cameras/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/m_colby/ (external link)
/ 6D / 24-105L / 85 1.8 /
Follow my Road Trip Blog
http://lost-on-land.tumblr.com (external link)

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 28, 2014 23:55 |  #5

Since this is a secondary camera/system, and given your main focus is portraits of kids, I'd look at the Sony a6000 with the kit lens and the Sony 35 or 50 1.8 lens. Quite affordable considering what you get, which includes the very impressive AF system, and a great sensor. The body with kit lens could fit comfortably in a jacket pocket, and the 35mm 1.8 is even smaller than the Fuji 35, which is to say very small and light (and stabilized!).

Neil

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 29, 2014 00:24 |  #6

While I don't have the X100S or T, I did get an XE-2 last winter with the same general concept. I got it with a 35mm 1.4. Until this weekend, that was all I invested into the system, one camera one lens in a much smaller package. It was a huge help keeping the initial transition simple. There were a number social events that I brought it with me and it was simpler, there were many family trips I brought both and felt limited by the one lens and ended up pulling out the DSLR. But any photos of people, the Fuji had some magic I just couldn't explain. The experience of using the camera, with the EVF (which the X100 has btw), and getting instant image feedback is great, there is no guess as to how the light meter is interpreting things. And it's very easy to preset the camera, so that you can go for what you know you want before turning the camera on and bringing it up to your eye.

Last month was a watershed moment for me, for Thanksgiving we traveled about 400miles to go and visit family, I had a camera on me the whole weekend and it was the Fuji, I never edited a photo on my laptop, it was all over wifi into snapseed then up to social media and my website. We got home and I realized I did not take the DSLR or any of the other lenses so much as out of the bag. I had a camera on me the whole time. My editing workflow was quick and didn't peg me behind a computer screen for hours away from everyone. After that I started talking about my camera like David Hobby, all the sudden it was my mistress not my camera (link to video of him talking about the X100s, there's also a video from Zack Arias there worth watching: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=omL9HOudSwc (external link) )

The 35 without the lens hood kinda fits into some of my larger pockets, I'm starting to eye some pancake lenses to make it a true always with me camera. Recently added the 56 for portraits and times I want to have more distance, and well the low light and shallow DOF are amazing tools. 3 primes and 1 body will still be lighter than a DSLR and the 2.8 zoom covering the same range. But even the Fuji and the 35 beat the 5D and 50mm for convenience and match it for image quality, and in some respects exceed it. And I gave it a year on one lens, suppressed the GAS and let the fixed medium prime teach me. I keep the DSLRs because I shoot sports and so my AF comparison often shows the Fuji at a disadvantage, but I'm able to take the Fuji and get at the level of children and have it keep up without much worry, but an occasional missed shot. I pretty much leave my camera in the M AF mode for manual focus and have the Fn Keys setup to allow back button focus and so even the AF carries over well for me.

Oh and you can bounce the OCF if you forget your speed light and it works with my $30 yongnuo radio triggers and skyport system. You can move the Fn keys and set several buttons to do any one of a few dozen features just like in the Canons but with words instead of symbols. If you have any specfic X-E2 questions I'm happy to answer them (and if I miss this thread updating feel free to PM me)

Here's a link to those Thanksgiving weekend photos (straight out of camera or minor snapseed adjustments, no LR or PS) that changed how I saw the camera, but also show how it does in an at kids level situation:http://www.dcanavanpho​to.com/p196409836 (external link)

I have a friend with an X100s, it's really nice. He has some conversion lenses. The leaf shutter is amazing, and it works well for him. But by itself it's not what I was looking for but with the right set of lenses on an X series camera, I could see it complimenting the system nicely for how I work.

If you're going Fuji I'd decide what features you want, then once you know based on feature set if you want X-Pro,X-E,X-T or X100, go with the newest version in the line. The changes made in the updates are there because photographers say "It's great but I wish it did this...." and Fuji listens. They also support with multiple and frequent firmware updates adding features, the newer the line the more they're usually able to incorporate (eventually adding feature support ends on anything but this way it's prolonged, the X-pro is about 4 years old and just had a new feature added last week though). And make sure to get an aftermarket strap if you'll use one at all, and have multiple spare batteries; if you're a Lightroom user, may need to check versions to make sure you're up to date enough for the RAW converter.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 29, 2014 06:27 |  #7

cc1995 wrote in post #17354863 (external link)
I currently own a Canon 6D with some decent glass. 50 1.4, 85 1.8 and 135 f2 and was planning on purchasing a secondary camera to pocket or just something smaller to always carry with me for family shots when I'm out and about and don't want to lug my 6D around. I generally like to take portraits of my young children 3 1/2 year old and 5 month old and I have been missing opportunities at times because I don't want to carry the 6D all the time. The older child doesn't really stand still much being that he's almost 4 so focusing is somewhat important to me and I like more portraiture or just the kids interacting together, not much of a street photographer since I don't really have the time these days, more family oriented stuff with the newer camera.

So my question is which of these cameras would you recommend for someone in my situation, or do you recommend something else. The Xe2 intrigues me because of the interchangable lens thing, but I also like off-camera flash and the electronic shutter sync speed thing is pretty cool with the X100, but the wider fixed lens scares me with what I like to shoot. Also, do lens adapters work well with the Xe2 for my canon lenses?

Just looking for some guidance.

Why buy a second ICL system?
You already got the 6D... would'nt it be better to go for a smaller pocketable sized camera with awesome IQ, design and functionality.

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

cc1995
THREAD ­ STARTER
280 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 29, 2014 14:48 |  #8

You all make really great points. I would prefer the XE2 but having another ICL system does concern me. I just worry that the X100T or S FOV might not be right for what I shoot with the family. I think I might rent each body to test them out or go to a camera store and see if I can take some shots and get a feel for each camera. Perhaps that will give me a much better idea of the portability factor as opposed to my 6D. I think if there isn't a huge difference between the X100T and XE2 with a 35 lens I might favor the XE2. Thank you all for all your insight and offer to answer further questions I may have.. You've all been extremely helpful. I'll be sure to keep you all posted on what I decide

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 29, 2014 18:50 |  #9

cc1995 wrote in post #17356147 (external link)
I just worry that the X100T or S FOV might not be right for what I shoot with the family.

I think if there isn't a huge difference between the X100T and XE2 with a 35 lens I might favor the XE2.

These two sentences does not cope well, atleast not in my head :P
The FOV does concern you? But not if the difference isent so huge between the X100s/t vs the prime 35?

The X100s has a 23mm equilivant to 35 mm with the 1.5x crop, the 35mm is a 52,5mm focal lenght on a XE2.
Two different FOV.... Or do you mean the 23mm prime? Then its the same focal lenght as the X100s. But if the FOV is a concern, shouldent you be looking at the 18mm if you want it wider? For family shots and what not.

Maybe i got it all wrong... But the way i see it now does not match up. :)

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,483 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 29, 2014 19:23 |  #10

bent toe wrote in post #17356502 (external link)
These two sentences does not cope well, atleast not in my head :P
The FOV does concern you? But not if the difference isent so huge between the X100s/t vs the prime 35?

The X100s has a 23mm equilivant to 35 mm with the 1.5x crop, the 35mm is a 52,5mm focal lenght on a XE2.
Two different FOV.... Or do you mean the 23mm prime? Then its the same focal lenght as the X100s. But if the FOV is a concern, shouldent you be looking at the 18mm if you want it wider? For family shots and what not.

Maybe i got it all wrong... But the way i see it now does not match up. :)

His widest lens according to the OP is a 50mm on his 6D, so I think he means that he's not sure he'll like the 35mm equivalent of the X100/s/t. I know that's personally my biggest gripe with the X100 line as well, if they had one with a 50mm equivalent as standard (to me the adapter sort of defeats the purpose since it makes it larger than an X-E2 with the 35mm) I'd be much more interested in the camera.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

cc1995
THREAD ­ STARTER
280 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 29, 2014 21:48 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #11

This is exactly what I meant. I am afraid I may not like shooting my style with a fixed 35mm FOV that an X100 would give, whereas and XE2 with a 35mm 1.4 would give me a 50mm FOV which I feel would work slightly better for my style and I could always buy a different lens if I decide I need a change, whereas I wouldn't have that option with the X100

e30mikec
105 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 29, 2014 21:59 |  #12

cc1995 wrote in post #17356756 (external link)
This is exactly what I meant. I am afraid I may not like shooting my style with a fixed 35mm FOV that an X100 would give, whereas and XE2 with a 35mm 1.4 would give me a 50mm FOV which I feel would work slightly better for my style and I could always buy a different lens if I decide I need a change, whereas I wouldn't have that option with the X100

Id worry that this may be a slippery slope, especially if you are trying to avoid building up another ICL kit. Maybe pick up the x100s and the 50mm conversion lens? That way you can experiment with the 35mm and still have the 50mm option when necessary. I know its essentially the same problem as buying lens' for the XE2 but I'd think it would be real easy to unload the x100s and 50mm lens should you ever change your mind.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/m_colby/ (external link)
/ 6D / 24-105L / 85 1.8 /
Follow my Road Trip Blog
http://lost-on-land.tumblr.com (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,483 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 29, 2014 22:15 |  #13

Yup, like I said, that's really the biggest thing holding me back from an X100. I had a 35/2 for my 6D and forced myself to use only it for a few weeks, it just felt foreign to me. I'm forced to use the equivalent to 35mm with my EOS-M and it's 22mm, but with that camera I accept it because I really only use that camera when I need something super small/light.

Having shot both cameras I'll tell you that the size difference between an X100s and an X-E2 is as near as makes no difference. The big thing you should be thinking about is whether the optical VF and leaf shutter are more important, or is the ability to shoot at your preferred FL (and change it if you choose). Even though I have a few lenses and an adapter for my X-E1 the 35mm is definitely my most used lens, the camera weighs practically nothing with it attached and it's a very solid performer.

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 30, 2014 04:16 |  #14

Then you should not get the X100 body.

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 30, 2014 09:10 |  #15

I'd actually sort of agree that the XE-2 would be a better choice. Don't get me wrong, I love my x100s. But the 35mm FOV was pretty limiting. I have the 50mm adapter which makes a surprisingly significant difference (for me) but also makes the camera a bit "Frankenstein". Certainly loses the pocketability factor (the camera and lens are pocketable when separate though).

Getting an Xe-2 with the 35mm would give you a really nice piece of kit. And, if you find the focal length isn't working you have the option to switch. No rule that says you can't use two systems. You just need to keep GAS under control.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

sponsored links

4,074 views & 1 like for this thread
Looking at either a XE2 or X100S or T for secondary camera for family take with me everywhere lens
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.